Soldering / De-soldering PCB help needed

Associate
Hi, I’m trying to desolder a pcb board but every time I try to it seems to be sucking the contact points off with it also leaving me nothing to solder to when done.

and ideas ?

Man of Honour
Some pads can be very sensitive but unless you have a lot of experience the likelihood is that you're simply overheating the board. Assuming you're not too experienced, you should try to apply heat for the minimum amount of time possible. The most common reasons for this are failing to add fresh solder to the working joint to allow heat to quickly transfer, and not using solder braid/flux correctly.

Soldato
What are you using to do it. A hot air gun or an iron? Sounds like more heat needing to be applied to the component, and heat kept there while the component is removed from the pad.

Soldato
If you're trying to remove small brick shaped components like resistors, caps and diodes that are soldered at each end, then it will help by linking the two soldered ends with solder, so that both ends are heated at the same time so you can remove them without yanking a pad off.

Associate
OP
If you're trying to remove small brick shaped components like resistors, caps and diodes that are soldered at each end, then it will help by linking the two soldered ends with solder, so that both ends are heated at the same time so you can remove them without yanking a pad off.
It’s the analogs I’m trying to desolder mainly

Soldato
Use a good quality soldering iron with a heat controller. I dab a dot of rework jelly on the bit to desolder, then hold some soldering braid over the spot then put the iron on top. Or if it's a lot of solder to remove, dab of jelly then use a good quality solder sucker, remove any left overs using the braid.

Associate
OP
Use a good quality soldering iron with a heat controller. I dab a dot of rework jelly on the bit to desolder, then hold some soldering braid over the spot then put the iron on top. Or if it's a lot of solder to remove, dab of jelly then use a good quality solder sucker, remove any left overs using the braid.
Thankyou! Never knew about that rework jelly, keeps it liquid form longer ? any ideas on what temp so the iron be ?
thankyou

Soldato
One other thing not mentioned... if you really can't desolder without ruining the contacts (which does happen sometimes even if you try everything to do it "right") - you can always just superglue the new component in and use wire to re-make the connections to the new components (by following the traces and then connecting the leg of the new component to the legs of any components that are meant to be connected to it by the now damaged trace) - hope that makes sense!

Soldato
One other thing not mentioned... if you really can't desolder without ruining the contacts (which does happen sometimes even if you try everything to do it "right") - you can always just superglue the new component in and use wire to re-make the connections to the new components (by following the traces and then connecting the leg of the new component to the legs of any components that are meant to be connected to it by the now damaged trace) - hope that makes sense!

Yes, sometimes a leaking capacitor will eat away at the contact and it will just drop off. I had to do this on my x68000. I'm currently restoring a PC Engine Duo that has a load of damaged pads :(

Associate
One good trick is not to try to desolder as-is, get some nice LEADED solder, and ADD solder first, before desoldering. Lead-free solder from the original PCB can take a LOT of it and will reflow rather badly, adding solder will make it more maleable and add flux too.

Back
Top Bottom