(Solved) Custom Cables Compatibility - Corsair AX / Seasonic Prime Ultra

Associate
I have a very simple question, which I have somehow successfully confused myself over. So I'm hoping one of you guys might know the answer to.

A couple of years ago I had a set of custom cables made specifically for my Corsair AX860 (non-i version) PSU. The cables were made to order by www.cablemod.com

I have recently sold the AX860 and bought a Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850 instead. For now I'm just using the standard cables.

But I was wondering if anyone has an idea if the cables are interchangable, since the Corsair AX (non-i) is also made by Seasonic?

All cables fit and have identical connectors, including the 24-pin ATX cable, but I don't want to just go ahead and use the cables, since I don't know of any potential problems, and I wouldn't be able to afford byuing new hardware just because of incompatible cables causing damage.

I have contacted CableMod of course, but I was hoping someone might have an idea if it will work while I'm waiting for a response from the manufacturer.

Thanks a lot in advance for any replies

Associate
OP
I received an email from CableMod Support. The cables are not compatible between the two PSUs, eventhough both are made by Seasonic. According to CableMod, the Corsair unit apparently has different pinouts.

So the answer to my question is no.

Man of Honour
Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

They have different pinouts because they are different platforms. The AX860 is based on the KM3 platform and the Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850 is based on the Prime platform. Just because the same manufacturer builds the psu's never assume that the pinouts are the same as they quite often are not. You did the sensible thing and erred on the side of caution until you had it confirmed so hat's off to you on that one. We have had others on here incorrectly assume that the cables from one psu will work fine in another, the result being some very expensive fried pc components all because they couldn't be bothered to change the cables.

Associate
I have just upgraded from an 8 year old Antec PSU (made by Seasonic) to a new Seasonic PSU.
  • The 6-pin connectors were electrically identical and the old 6-pin cables could have been re-used.
  • However, the 8-pin connectors had different pin-outs and although they would have physically fitted, using the old 8-pin cables would have resulted in a short-circuit and damage.
I also purchased custom cables, and despite being told that they were correct, I checked them upon receipt and found them to be electrically different and incompatible.
So unless you are 100% sure that cables are correct and are able to independently test them, use the ones from the manufacturer that came in the box.

Associate
OP
Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

They have different pinouts because they are different platforms. The AX860 is based on the KM3 platform and the Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850 is based on the Prime platform. Just because the same manufacturer builds the psu's never assume that the pinouts are the same as they quite often are not. You did the sensible thing and erred on the side of caution until you had it confirmed so hat's off to you on that one. We have had others on here incorrectly assume that the cables from one psu will work fine in another, the result being some very expensive fried pc components all because they couldn't be bothered to change the cables.

Thanks a lot for explaining in depth the reason why the cables aren't compatible between the two PSUs, I really appreciate that. The reply from CableMod was a little bit vague on the details.
I'm fairly cautious when it comes to PSUs, a lot of people seems to underestimate the importance of them. I was aware that you can't just use whatever cables you like, but I became a little bit uncertain in this particular case, and I'm very happy that I didn't rush and just try it out, that would have been expensive, considering the information you just gave me. So thanks again.

I have just upgraded from an 8 year old Antec PSU (made by Seasonic) to a new Seasonic PSU.
  • The 6-pin connectors were electrically identical and the old 6-pin cables could have been re-used.
  • However, the 8-pin connectors had different pin-outs and although they would have physically fitted, using the old 8-pin cables would have resulted in a short-circuit and damage.
I also purchased custom cables, and despite being told that they were correct, I checked them upon receipt and found them to be electrically different and incompatible.
So unless you are 100% sure that cables are correct and are able to independently test them, use the ones from the manufacturer that came in the box.

Thanks a lot, that's very interesting. It's a good reminder to be careful. Actually, the custom cables I ordered, I never double checked them before using them. I ordered them specifically for the make and model of my PSU, and just assumed they were ok to use, when I received them. Luckily they were fine, but I should have double checked. That's what I'll do next time, if I decide to have cables made again

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom