Some help configuring my RAM (Geil Ultra)

Soldato
Warning, this may be a very n00bish post.

I'm having quite a few issues with memtest errors on my Geil RAM. I had 2x512MB sticks, and just brought another pair to bring it up to 2gig. The system hasn't been very stable since adding it so I did a memtest and numerous errors popped up in the 1.9-2.0gig range of the RAM. I tested just the old ram- no problems, just the new ram- no problems, but all four together, no matter what slot each one is in gives me the same errors. So this leads me to conclude one of three things: the motherboard ram slot is borked, it has trouble with so much ram, or my settings for it are wrong.

I changed the auto-detect settings in the BIOS to the ones listed on OcUK and the Geil website. These changes were changing the voltage down from 2.6v to 2.55v, and the timings from 6-3-3 CAS 2.5 to 6-3-3 CAS 2. All this has suceeded in doing it give me about a 50-fold increase in errors. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Oh and I have an Abit IC7G and P4 3.2 northwood.

Associate
OK, try 2 sticks in the first 2 slots and set timings to 2.5-3-3-6 2T.
Try this again with the other two, making sure you keep the matchings the same. Be sure to ground yourself to avoid ESD.
When stable add next two sticks to back slot and keep timings the same.
If it is still failing then they could be damaged. The Abit IC7G is DDR400 and can take 4Gb so your not over doing it at all.
Failing timings can always be reset in Bios by loading the default setup.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice.

After a lot of juggling I found that any voltage below 2.65v would cause errors, the lower the more errors. Also switching from CAS 2.5 to 2 got rid of the remaining ones. The system is now beautifully stable. Though its a bit confusing as I would have thought that a tighter CAS timing of 2 would make the system more unstable. The system won't POST if I set it to CAS 3.

So for anyone in a similar position who finds this thread, my current stable settings for my PC3200 Geil Ultra Dual Channel RAM are:

CAS 2, 6-3-3 @ 2.8volts

Man of Honour
From what I understand you can't run 2T with all 4 RAM slots filled, although that might only relate to AMD setups. I'm not sure if the i875P chipset even gives the option to change it to be honest.

Associate
FWIW i had probs with a pair of those a fair while ago, they suddenly became unstable @ stock speed/volts, OcUK said Geil told em to put the juice up to 2.8-2.9

Only other problem i've had is my Amd setup doesnt like doing 6/3/3/2 1t but it's fine doing 6/3/3/2.5 1t right upto 255mhz ish.

Associate
HangTime said:
From what I understand you can't run 2T with all 4 RAM slots filled, although that might only relate to AMD setups. I'm not sure if the i875P chipset even gives the option to change it to be honest.

Oh yeah :o dur :rolleyes:

Steves_pc said:
Only other problem i've had is my Amd setup doesnt like doing 6/3/3/2 1t but it's fine doing 6/3/3/2.5 1t right upto 255mhz ish.

Thats the same treatment my geil required for proper running 2.8 volts.

and to narrow done on the brain power again, are the geil the same version? this can be found on the holo-sticker.

Back
Top Bottom