• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

some info about a cpu?

Associate
hi there i am looking to upgrade my cpu following me finding out i have practicly no potential overclocking power with my current setup, when searching ebay i find this certain cpu which the seller states is "AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 2.2GHz 1MB" but then states the following...

"These chips are hand picked and guranteed unlock to 4 cores (Phenom FX5000) with full 6MB L3 cache.

Get a Phenom x 4 for half the price!

To our excitment,a player has successfully transformed new Athlon X2 5000+ into a quad-core processor,which features 6MB of L3 cache and is recognized as Phenom FX 5000 Quad Core.It can be found that the first batch of Athlon X2 5000+ is based on disabled core and cache of "Deneb"Phenom IIX4.It is unclear whether it is AMDs expedient or change Regor native dual-core with disabled cache."

Im new to all this and not quite understanding what the seller is saying? is there 2 cores or 4? can anyone clear this up a little for me? thanks

Caporegime
some cpus are none working quad core cpus that AMD just sell as a lower performance model, some people do get lucky and unlock one or two extra cores(depending on which motherboard you own, not all motherboards can unlock cpu's)

its not guaranteed by any means.

RJC

RJC

Don
Some AMD processors have cores disabled during the manufacturing process due to a possible faulty core. This can be unlocked with certain motherboards but stability can not be guaranteed.

Associate
£45 for a quad core is a good deal but in order for it to work you need to have a motherboard with the correct bios having ACC and either the 750 or 710 southbridge.
If not they will not honor thier quarentee.

To clear up the x2/x4 question as said before in earleir post's, Amd will and do disable core's and cache memory from failed X4 cpu,s this way there is less wastage from the process. However when they require a ceartain model of cpu they sometimes just disable the non required core's and cache from perfctly working x4 core's in order to complete an order on time.

It seems and looks like this member of the bay has came across of a batch of x2 5000 processors which were made from perfectly working x4 cpu core's and is selling them at a very reasonable price for a quad core cpu.

Back
Top Bottom