some network advice please

Associate
bit complicated
recently invested in a mesh wifi system (tp link deco). I have a brother 3150cdw printer that i am connected to via wired network that i print from my main pc (which doesnt have wireless). since i setup the mesh network the wireless coverage is great but none of the kids macbooks/ipads (which connect wirelessly) can print anymore. i can't get them even to see the wired printer when connected wirelessly

my wired network is 192.168.1.x
my mesh wireless is 192.168.68.x
the brother printer (wired) currently has a fixed ip 192.168.1.12. it works either via wired or wireless, but not both at the same time i think

if i change printer to wireless connection i suspect i will lose the ability to print from my main pc, as main pc has no wireless card/dongle - is this correct?

the wireless function in the draytek is switched off currently
confusingly the deco mesh units have LAN ports - the main one is wired to my router so it goes

www---draytek router-wired-LANport--deco wireless mesh to second deco
-wired-LANport-switch-rest of my wired network including printer

any ideas how i can get printing working from wirelessly connected devices as well as wired ones?

thanks

Soldato
Why do you have two subnets?

Get all of the devices onto a single subnet and your problems will go away.

The printer shouldn't need to be wired. Your wired (and wireless) devices will still be able to see it if it's connected to your router wirelessly (assuming everything is on the same subnet).

Associate
OP
the deco units default is the .68.x subnet. i will see if i can change that
thanks

//i can change the LAN IP - what should i change it to as I don't want to conflict with the 192.168.1.1 already setup on the draytek? do I just choose 192.168.1.x where x is an address i have not already assigned?

sorry for the network noob questions!

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have two subnets you're running double NAT. Not the end of the world, but it can cause problems under some circumstances.

Does the TP-Link have an AP mode? If it does, and you enable it, you'll be back to a single subnet.

Back
Top Bottom