Some people are so thick and gullible

Associate
seen these kinds of threads quite a bit :p always seems to end up with people calling other people stupid etc just because they dont know much about computers e.g:

"My mate asked if i had a UBS cable he could borrow, OMG WHAT A NOOB HAHAHAH i just laughed in his face and went back to CS!"

;) :D

I admit that this case is a little different from that one that sticks in my mind :p
but give the guy a break, he has probably never had the urge to learn about computers (hes probably good at something that u dont know about)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Lowest Spec I've successfully installed XP on is a:
PII 400mhz with 256mb SD RAM and 12gb HDD.

Although I know people who have put it on a 266mhz PII with 128mb RAM...

Slow as a sloth though to be honest..
Should this get moved to Hardware?

Soldato
My mate thinks his P4 Northwood 3.0 Ghz is better than an A64 FX-62. He also thinks that he has "Double Density Ram", which somehow physically doubles in size from 512MB to 1GB when it needs to. Then there's his Geforce FX 5200, which is supposedly as good as my 7900GT since they both have 256MB of memory.
Now he's not stupid, but he is the victim of marketing rubbish and people lying to him to sell their product. It took me a long time to explain the truth to him, but he is still skeptical.

Man of Honour
fatmas said:
Lowest Spec I've successfully installed XP on is a:
PII 400mhz with 256mb SD RAM and 12gb HDD.

Although I know people who have put it on a 266mhz PII with 128mb RAM...

Just to make this pointlessly geeky, I've had Windows XP running on a P233mmx with 192mb Ram as a server for about 8 months until my mate decided he wanted to try Linux on the computer(since it was his).

You can run it on even lower specification machines but you need to remove a lot of processes to get any sort of acceptable speed from it.

Associate
I installed XP Pro on me mums old pc.

Celly 333, 128mb ram and 5gig drive.

It ran half life ok enough to play single player. should have seen jerky freeman go...

Caporegime
Johanson said:
My mate thinks his P4 Northwood 3.0 Ghz is better than an A64 FX-62. He also thinks that he has "Double Density Ram", which somehow physically doubles in size from 512MB to 1GB when it needs to. Then there's his Geforce FX 5200, which is supposedly as good as my 7900GT since they both have 256MB of memory.
Now he's not stupid, but he is the victim of marketing rubbish and people lying to him to sell their product. It took me a long time to explain the truth to him, but he is still skeptical.

Lol, double density ram :p

Man of Honour
OP
Kerplunk said:
So the issue here is he cant install XP Home because his system is below spec?

Whys he thick/gullible? :confused:

ONCE AGAIN.
I have been working with this particular bloke foir 26 years and this is the most recent 'thick/gullible' incident involving him.
He works with 400 blokes and its a bit like working with Google - you can virtually find on expert on anything, so making a bad choice on patio bricks, trees, cars, mp3 players, carpets and a million other items shouldn't happen.

He is not and idiot because he doesn't know how to install XP or else theres a country full of them.
He is gullible because he listened to an Asian on a phone speaking on behalf of BT.
He is an idiot because he didn't ask one of his workmates around him who all have knowledge of PC's.
He is an idiot because this is at least the 100th time in 26 years we've had a laugh at his expense.

Associate
dmpoole said:
He is gullible because he listened to an Asian on a phone speaking on behalf of BT.
Ahhh man we've all been there. I once listened to an Asian and all I ended up with was a load of "magic beans".

I miss my cow.

Soldato
MasterMike said:
Heh, did you point out the irony in his use of the word "Density"?

He was calling me an idiot aswell! Then he told his dad who "knows about this kind of stuff" and he thought i was an idiot!!
Then i started to explain that for it to double in size it would actually have to add some more ram chips to itself, which is of course impossible.
In his defence he said that he knew it was doubling in size because it "made a beeping sound" when he had lots of programs open at the same time. He also thought he had won the arguement when he dropped this bomb: "Well how do you explain dual layer DVDs then? Ha!" I couldn't believe i actually had to explain the difference between RAM and optical discs. :o

I wouldn't have minded, but he thought he knew a lot about computers.

Last edited:
Associate
dmpoole said:
I forgot to mention that this is a bloke who has still got a single speed video recorder and the only music he knows is Adam & The Ants (and thats a couple of singles).

nothing wrong with a bit of adam ant.

Back
Top Bottom