Some questions re the suggested systems

Associate
Hi guys
This will be another one of those spec-me threads, I apologise in advance.

I was looking at the suggested builds in the sticky and have some questions re modifying them. I guess my aim is to keep the budget in the £600 ballpark, I want 4 cores so I have decided to go with a variation on the £700 AMD build.

Basically I will drop the 5850 to a 5750 to achieve my target budget. I also have a couple of things I think I can retrieve from my old pc. These are
1) a Lian-Li PC7+ case
2) a Tagan 530w power supply which is about 4 years old.

Do you guys think these old components will be ok to use so I can save a bit more cash? I am most worried about the power supply. Do these things have a limited lifespan? It has been powering an e6600 and a 2900xt fine up until today when the card decided to die :rolleyes:. Of course I worry that the power supply had a hand in the card's death :(.

One more question. If I wanted to add more RAM into the suggested build is that an easy thing to do? I am a lot behind the times and dont really know what triple channel means.

Ta

Man of Honour
The case would be fine to reuse hte psu however I'm not too sure about that is the sort of component I would replace for peace of mind.

As far as triple channel memory this increases bandwidth between the ram cpu giving a slight performance boost, however the motherboard in the suggested £700 AMD build doesnt offer support for triple channel memory as it only has 4 Ram slots so you would be looking at 2 pairs of 2 sticks running in dual channel mode.

Associate
OP
The case would be fine to reuse hte psu however I'm not too sure about that is the sort of component I would replace for peace of mind.

As far as triple channel memory this increases bandwidth between the ram cpu giving a slight performance boost, however the motherboard in the suggested £700 AMD build doesnt offer support for triple channel memory as it only has 4 Ram slots so you would be looking at 2 pairs of 2 sticks running in dual channel mode.

I am leaning towards replacing the PSU, as you say for peace of mind.

Will putting 4 sticks of RAM in give any disadvantage? I remember a few years ago that if you put in 4 sticks on some chipsets that it would slow down all the timings.

Are you able to salvage an optical drive and or hdd from your old rig to save a few more pennies?
The optical is an IDE one I think :p. The hard drive is too small and slow to bother with I think.

Associate
OP
isit.png

OK I am about to go with this, the only thing I am not sure about is the gcard. Is a 5770 worth it over the 5750? Anybody?

bJN

bJN

Soldato
That spec looks fine to me, but do you need an operating system as well in that budget?
And from benchmarks I've seen I would definitely say the 5770 is worth the extra.

If you've got any means of testing your current PSU it could be worthwhile, that would save you an extra £60 :)

Associate
OP
That spec looks fine to me, but do you need an operating system as well in that budget?
And from benchmarks I've seen I would definitely say the 5770 is worth the extra.

If you've got any means of testing your current PSU it could be worthwhile, that would save you an extra £60 :)

Thanks for the fast reply, seeing as another person thought it was ok I have ordered now. I can get windows el cheapo through a discount so that wasnt included :).

Back
Top Bottom