Some thoughts on cooling with the new RTX cooler

Soldato
I've got a few concerns with the rear cooler fan on the new RTX 30xx cards and would appreciate the thoughts of the peanut gallery.

For ordinary air coolers in standard tower cases, I don't see too much of an issue. We'll simply have to reverse the airflow so that air comes in at the back and out at the front. Users of AIOs will have to put their radiators in the front.

But the issue for me comes with desktop / HTPC cases and non-standard cases like my Silverstone FT05 - where the GPU is mounted vertically - and the Silverstone Temjin where the motherboard is inverted. With desktop cases and the FT05 the rear fan will be blowing hot air directly below the CPU cooler. With the Temjin the fan will be blowing hot air downwards,

Hopefully Nvidia will produce a reversed fan mod.

Permabanned
I'm sorry, I don't understand the problem you are trying to solve here. Why does anything need to be changed?

Soldato
OP
I'm sorry, I don't understand the problem you are trying to solve here. Why does anything need to be changed?

Take a look at the Silverstone FT05 case. You will see that the hot air from rthe through cooler of the RTX 30xx will go straight into the input of the CPU cooler.

Soldato
Take a look at the Silverstone FT05 case. You will see that the hot air from rthe through cooler of the RTX 30xx will go straight into the input of the CPU cooler.
I think if you have concerns then your best off grabbing an AIB card instead.

Permabanned
Ah right. I have a different but equally important case issue, that 90% of the new GPU's won't fit in my case at all. My case is limited to GPU card max ~29.5cm. That means the only hope so far is Gigabyte, cus everyone else is over that. For me the only way to do this is replace the case entirely.

I am not sure what the scale of the problem will be. Having a vent directly above the card will definitely affect the temperature of every CPU air cooler out there, some more than others. I must confess it seems crazy to blow air out towards the CPU/top mounted radiators. In many cases I think it will find it's way in to the CPU cooler. But then you know looking at the power requirements for the 30 series, these things are going to produce a huge amount of heat. I think the thermals for every PC out there are going to be affected and gaming is about to get a lot hotter or a lot noisier. Having said that, we need real world results because we don't know what the power these things consume is down to ray tracing and what is down to normal operation. But yes, I can see this generation being a nightmare to overclockers simply because of the heat they are going to produce and where they dump it.

Associate
Think with the new coolers the majority of heat will be expelled from the rear of the card as long as u got good air flow Cant see the other fan exhausting heat being a problem

Back
Top Bottom