Some tips for shooting in Barcelona

Associate
Hey,

Will be heading off to Barcelona in April for a week with the Mrs, not been before but i do know it's famous for it's architecture. I will be taking my 50D along with grip and spare batteries etc. My main question is around Lenses i have at present a 50mm f1.8 and a 70 - 200mm, what other lenses would you recommend in terms of taking as i want to make the most out of this week and would no mind hiring an extra lens or two.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
I'm going in a couple of weeks, but it's for a work conference sadly. I'll be staying in Port Vell not far from Las Ramblas which is supposed to be good for people photography and sadly also pick pockets and muggers! I might just take the old AE-1...

Soldato
On a more serious note though, looking back at my photos from Barcelona, I found I took more photos using a somewhat Telephoto lens than I did wide ones.

Man of Honour
On Canon, maybe a 17-40L or 16-35L if you're hiring glass, you'll want something wider than 50 anyway. Whether you want something as wide as a 10-20 or similar is up to you, personally I wouldn't bother, really good composition with serious wide angles is difficult, it's too easy to fall into the 'lets fit everything in the shot' trap.

Seriously though, your main challenge will be taking any shot in barcelona which hasn't been taken 50 times before. Get up early before the crowds is good advice...

Soldato
Barcelona is a lovely place. Good food, beaches, architecture, fab.

I would suggest:

Architecture:

Casa Batlló - http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/albums-en/gaudi-casa-batllo/
Park Guell - http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/gaudi/park-guell.html

Are two highlights - if you want to go to the first, try to get in really early and you'll get the chance to take some photographs without loads of people.

Places - Las Ramblas is all good and well, pick pockets are said to be more common here as it is a touristy area where people move slowly and in crowds. The big market - Boqueria (just off Las Ramblas) is great for street photography and has simply amazing produce. http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/albums-en/ramblas/pages/las-ramblas-17_jpg.html

The gothic quarter again near Las Ramblas has some beautiful buildings. Wander in, get lost and then see where you end up.

Keep valuables in inside preferrably zipped pockets and you'll be fine, in busy areas wear rucksacks on your front etc. Just be aware of what is going on. I had no problems with a 5D2 and a 24-70L so enjoy your self. Just make sure that you have valid insurance.

The food is great - pluck up the courage and go into the small bars and eat air cured hams and drink local wines - fab.

You might have worked out by now that I love the place !

Associate
Leave the nifty at home and take a single lens perhaps - way easier if you're doing other things rather than going on a "photography trip" - superzoom like the 18-200 IS is very good for that sort of thing.

Soldato
Places - Las Ramblas is all good and well, pick pockets are said to be more common here as it is a touristy area where people move slowly and in crowds. The big market - Boqueria (just off Las Ramblas) is great for street photography and has simply amazing produce. http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/albums-en/ramblas/pages/las-ramblas-17_jpg.html

The Gothic quarter again near Las Ramblas has some beautiful buildings. Wander in, get lost and then see where you end up.

Keep valuables in inside preferably zipped pockets and you'll be fine, in busy areas wear rucksacks on your front etc. Just be aware of what is going on. I had no problems with a 5D2 and a 24-70L so enjoy your self. Just make sure that you have valid insurance.

My friend was pickpocketed in the Gothic Quarter, in broad day light with me and another friend stood right near him. When we realized what had happened we headed back and a Waiter pointed out where they had gone... like he had seen it happen a million times before.

The other issue though, even with insurance is that you will probably need to file a Police report. There were ques outside the Police Stations we passed!

If you are wary and keep yourself locked away where nobody can easily pickpocket it from you, then you should be alright. I'd watch out at night though having your camera out of a bag. Las Ramblas changes into a different world at night, the market stall sellers all go home and it's replaced by pushy Prostitutes who will grab you (if you aren't with a woman) and men selling beers and drugs. They are all easy to spot though, as they aren't Spaniards. I was always worried that when these Prostitues and stuff came up, that they may also be attempting to pickpocket, which is why you have to shove them away. Seriously, it's bizarre!

Here's a couple of bad pics I took just from the apartment I was staying in on Las Ramblas.

These men are all selling cans of Beer hidden in bushes, however the ring leader had drugs stashed underneath the bag of a public bin.
n559205696_4279505_7321.jpg

The old guy was the ring leader, he took a cut of everything sold.
n559205696_4279506_3241.jpg

Couple of British Guys being grabbed by Prostitutes
n559205696_4279500_7058.jpg

This guy went down the back alley with the She-Male in the picture. He came back a couple of times as he was obviously making up his mind whether to go through with it or not!
n559205696_4279502_6421.jpg

Of all the troublemakers I saw, the only arrests were... this guy selling Samosa's
n559205696_4279504_7000.jpg

The Police also did a surprise raid, involving a handbrake turn and driving on the pavement to catch about 5 prostitutes, while about twenty just ran away!
n559205696_4279503_6723.jpg

Oh also just avoid eating at anywhere on Las Ramblas, rubbish food and overpriced. It was a good experience though and the architecture is fantastic.

Associate
f you google Barcelona there are many places to visit.
When was there I went to;
Gothic Quarter - this is an area of Barcelona, and has lots of interesting archtiture
Santa Maria del Mar Cathedral
Picasso museum
hill Montjuic has a nice park, an impressive fortress
The Spanish village
unfinished Sagrad Familia
Parc Guell, and the Gaudí Museum
Barceloneta - down at the habour front
Plus there is a big musical fountain near the National Museum of Cataluyna.

Les Rambles mood does change at night and all I can say is never walk any where on your own.

Man of Honour
Les Rambles mood does change at night and all I can say is never walk any where on your own.

Don't be silly, what you need to do is not do anything you wouldn't do in London or another big city. I really don't understand why people either become massively paranoid or completely clueless when they're somewhere like that. Just stay sensible, be aware of where you are and what's happening and unsurprisingly you'll be fine. Same as anywhere from London to Jo'burg...

Soldato
Don't be silly, what you need to do is not do anything you wouldn't do in London or another big city. I really don't understand why people either become massively paranoid or completely clueless when they're somewhere like that. Just stay sensible, be aware of where you are and what's happening and unsurprisingly you'll be fine. Same as anywhere from London to Jo'burg...

To be fair I've never been approached by a prostitute in a tourist area of London once night falls!

I'll be in Barcelona next week, so it'll be interesting to see how it stacks up. It does sound a bit like Prague, that place is great, but boy does it change at night! These blokes keep looking for a bloke called Charlie Mariwana (or something ;) ), and as for what the women brag they can do! :D

Soldato

I'd disagree personally.

I live in London, infact I've worked in Soho the last five years and I'm currently right next to the majority of what can be considered the 'Red Light District'. In that time I've only ever once been approached by a prostitute, nor have I ever had anyone try and sell me drugs.

In Barcelona, walking down what is the equivalent area of London you get swamped by them. We even had a bunch of prostitutes chase us back to our apartment doors, they were at the glass like zombies!
I was only there three days and I had people try and sell me everything from sex, to drugs, to beer, samosas, knock off handbags and stolen goods.

I actually read an article fairly recently from a quite highly decorated and respected Spaniard on tourism and how Las Ramblas has changed. The fact that the Police are doing so little to clean up the image of an area that is one of the main tourist focus points of the city. It's nothing like London, if it was, they would have shut these kind of people down and moved them on immediately.

Soldato
Arrived in Barcelona today, weather is rubbish! Had walk down La Rambla this evening, quite interesting. I did take the 7D and 30mm (smallest lens I have and space is at a premium! 17-50 would've been more useful though). On Friday I finish work at 15:30 but flight home isn't until 21:00, so I'll have a look round the Gothic area and Cathedral I think. Walking up to Parc Guell is probably a bit much as I have already got blisters!

Back
Top Bottom