Someone faced the problem of too good audibility in the house?

Associate
Hello! Someone faced the problem of too good audibility in the house? we bought some soundproofing material and even on top of studio insulation material (which should have worked well), pasted over one wall, but there is still sound from neighbors, Can someone have some advice? what did you or your friends do in this case? what materials did you use?

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Hi Katie!

Think there's a whole world here - it depends a bit on what sort of sound (eg bass music vs voices vs high pitched actually travels differently through materials) - so some it's all about density and for others it's about air pockets/vacuums.

As a starting point and with lots of assumptions (ie sound coming from one wall, and noise of neighbours etc) - if you really wanted to fix it, then you'd want to build a slim 'extra' wall in front of the problem wall, something like:

Existing wall > sound insulation foam > sound insulating plasterboard (double skin if you want to go belt and braces)
eg: https://www.insulationexpress.co.uk...85_csmTqTa-It-FLzz32ZF3iqK-efgPxoC6ZAQAvD_BwE

And include sound insulating glues to avoid sound transmitting through joists etc

Fortunately this isn't a ridiculously expensive build - for an average lounge single wall, maybe £200 all in if you do it yourself or more if you need someone to do it for you...

Soldato
Hello! Someone faced the problem of too good audibility in the house? we bought some soundproofing material and even on top of studio insulation material (which should have worked well), pasted over one wall, but there is still sound from neighbors, Can someone have some advice? what did you or your friends do in this case? what materials did you use?

I suggest you check out the products at the Soundproofing Store. This will tell you the difference between impact and airborne insulation, and that studio insulation is more for stopping echoes and reflections of sounds in a room, rather than domestic sound insulation.

Soldato
Yeah your normal studio sound stuff is more for stopping sounds being deflected around and tuning the room in to stop echo's when you record, not really for soundproofing as you want it.

You need to find how its coming through, what kind of wall do you have, is it coming through the floors or roof etc.

Quite often it's best to build a whole other wall against your existing one using the right materials, not cheap and does eat in to the room space but in modern houses it'll probably be the only way to make a real difference.

Associate
Really need a bit more information. If its a semi-detached house the floor joists might be shared which mean sounds might travel though.

Soldato
To be honest, if your neighbours aren’t being unreasonably noisy and you live in an attached property and it’s a serious issue which you can’t live with. The only real way to solve it is move.

You can mitigate it with some of the suggestions above but it all comes back to how the building is fundamentally constructed and you can’t realistically change that. You could spend hundreds or thousands on countermeasures and not make any real or only a minor difference. You need to weigh that up with how much it really bothers you.

Associate
To be honest, if your neighbours aren’t being unreasonably noisy and you live in an attached property and it’s a serious issue which you can’t live with. The only real way to solve it is move.

You can mitigate it with some of the suggestions above but it all comes back to how the building is fundamentally constructed and you can’t realistically change that. You could spend hundreds or thousands on countermeasures and not make any real or only a minor difference. You need to weigh that up with how much it really bothers you.

Yeah, pretty much this to be honest. I lived in a student house for a couple of years and the family that lived next to to us, while I did feel sorry for them a bit since I would imagine it would have been annoying to live next door to a house full of students would complain all the time about the noise. I mean OK, when you are playing FIFA with all the house mates in the front room drinking and having fun it can get a bit noisy but she would knock on the front door at 11:30 at night and complain the TV was to loud when it wasn't. We would get notes through the door saying next time she was going to call the police, I`m sure she routinely did but we never saw them. In in the end her complaining all the time had the opposite effect of what she was trying to accomplish because other people in the house would then play loud music just to annoy her. She complained to the council and they did some testing and I spoke to the guy from the council who basically said its not loud enough to be a real issue but we were politely asked to keep it down after 23:00 at night which made perfect sense. I just think she got to the point that any noise from our side would just set her off and it wasn't really our fault she was like she was.

Associate
OP
Hi Katie!

Think there's a whole world here - it depends a bit on what sort of sound (eg bass music vs voices vs high pitched actually travels differently through materials) - so some it's all about density and for others it's about air pockets/vacuums.

As a starting point and with lots of assumptions (ie sound coming from one wall, and noise of neighbours etc) - if you really wanted to fix it, then you'd want to build a slim 'extra' wall in front of the problem wall, something like:

Existing wall > sound insulation foam > sound insulating plasterboard (double skin if you want to go belt and braces)
eg: https://www.insulationexpress.co.uk...85_csmTqTa-It-FLzz32ZF3iqK-efgPxoC6ZAQAvD_BwE

And include sound insulating glues to avoid sound transmitting through joists etc

Fortunately this isn't a ridiculously expensive build - for an average lounge single wall, maybe £200 all in if you do it yourself or more if you need someone to do it for you...
Hi!
Yes, mostly the noise of neighbors does not interfere, we hear everything that they say behind the wall, how their TV sounds.
now my boyfriend made a layer of insulation (a material like a padding polyester, what it looks like for me, but it is specialized), on top of the material in the form of a small square in the form of paralon (I don’t know how it sounds in terms of excuse me), plus they made built-in wardrobes and TV on this wall unit (between the TV unit and the wall, just a small space is still empty). the sound remained a little more. in our case, did we do it right or not quite?

Associate
OP
Yeah, pretty much this to be honest. I lived in a student house for a couple of years and the family that lived next to to us, while I did feel sorry for them a bit since I would imagine it would have been annoying to live next door to a house full of students would complain all the time about the noise. I mean OK, when you are playing FIFA with all the house mates in the front room drinking and having fun it can get a bit noisy but she would knock on the front door at 11:30 at night and complain the TV was to loud when it wasn't. We would get notes through the door saying next time she was going to call the police, I`m sure she routinely did but we never saw them. In in the end her complaining all the time had the opposite effect of what she was trying to accomplish because other people in the house would then play loud music just to annoy her. She complained to the council and they did some testing and I spoke to the guy from the council who basically said its not loud enough to be a real issue but we were politely asked to keep it down after 23:00 at night which made perfect sense. I just think she got to the point that any noise from our side would just set her off and it wasn't really our fault she was like she was.
yes, I understand you. I had a similar one earlier. seiyas the situation is as follows - we get up early for work and, accordingly, want to go to bed early. but the neighbors have a different regime - they become active at night, plus they themselves communicate very expressively and loudly. we many times politely forgive them to be quieter just at night and that's it, but it doesn't help. we ourselves keep silence

Associate
OP
Yeah your normal studio sound stuff is more for stopping sounds being deflected around and tuning the room in to stop echo's when you record, not really for soundproofing as you want it.

You need to find how its coming through, what kind of wall do you have, is it coming through the floors or roof etc.

Quite often it's best to build a whole other wall against your existing one using the right materials, not cheap and does eat in to the room space but in modern houses it'll probably be the only way to make a real difference.
yes, opinions seem to agree that it is better to make an additional wall or something like that.

Where did the sound come from? through the doors for sure, possibly through the ceiling - but there is a void there, which is filled with sound

Associate
OP

Yes. my partner is very worried, but everything seems to be a little better, after installing the cabinets on the entire wall, where the main noise is, we also want to propose to make insulation from the outside.
how reasonable is it? we just rented this place and at least we have a contract for a year, I don't want to lose money and my boyfriend is determined to be here. suits the location and view.

Soldato
Did your partner buy foam like panels to stick on the walls? If so that will do next to nothing to stop sound coming from next door.

There's 2 things here and they often get mixed up.

1) Is to stop echo/reverberation/reflections of sound off of your walls internally, this is why you see the foam in studios on the walls. It's to stop the sounds of the instruments that are INSIDE the room from echoing off the walls.

2) The second is isolation, that is to stop sounds from outside your room from coming into your room. This is what you want. And really there are only three effective methods:
a) Decoupling - If you have shared joists and party walls, this is basically impossible. Essentially unattach yourself from the thing that is making noise, in an apartment this is pretty much impossible.
b) Distance - sound loses energy over distance, pretty obvious, but again not a lot you can do in your scenario
c) Mass - This is your best bet in a domestic situation. One of the best things to isolate yourself from external sounds is mass. What you want is a very dense slim material. Mass-loaded vinyl is the usual thing. However installing it is a pain, really you need it sandwiched in between plasterboard in a wavy pattern on the walls.

Good luck.

Soldato
I needed to soundproof a wall between adjacent bedrooms, the original wall was more or less two sheets of plasterboard sandwiching cardboard "diamonds" and did nothing to stop the sound between the rooms making it difficult for both rooms.

I used the soundproofing store and went straight for prosound soundboard 4 (because i didn't want to it twice!) and with the recommended sealants and fixings, then lining paper all diy. Its taken the sound down from being able to hear everything from a fart to tv in the next room to a very low level, you can still just about hear the TV if you try and it feels like they are a room away now but I think thats more sound leak through the doors tbh, next step will be changing the doors but that can wait.
The soundboards were really heavy and a sandwich of rubber type stuff and dense plasterboard, Each panel was 1.44m2 and 30mm thick weighing in at around 40kg for £55 each so not cheep but less money than moving or doing a loft conversion which were my other options :)

Noisy like you are suffering is just so tough to deal with, it wears you down over time.

Back
Top Bottom