Sony A6600, Fuji XT 3 or?

Man of Honour
OP
Quite excited now.. I think it’s due to me tomorrow at some point via Royal Mail. I’ve also been reading up about the menu system, that ken Rockwell seems to absolutely hate the Fuji setup. Apparently most functionality can be set by the touch screen which is fine by me on a smaller camera, so we will see.

Soldato
Quite excited now.. I think it’s due to me tomorrow at some point via Royal Mail. I’ve also been reading up about the menu system, that ken Rockwell seems to absolutely hate the Fuji setup. Apparently most functionality can be set by the touch screen which is fine by me on a smaller camera, so we will see.

It's quite customizable. I spent a good hour or so at the beginning to get mine just the way I wanted it. Since then I've hardly had to change a thing. Most of my actions are set to different function buttons and if I want anything more it's in the Q menu.

Man of Honour
OP
Well it arrived and I'm very pleased. It is quite a lot smaller than I anticipated! Even with the 15-45 on its pretty diminuitive, and I was quite surprised to be honest. I am so glad I didn't opt for the XE3! I've had a quick play with it, nothing substantial yet. But I love the large screen. It's excellent. The overall quality of the image appears to be excellent too, certainly on par with what I had before with my D7500, if not slightly better. Maybe the colour is better, hard to say for sure.

The connectivity to my laptop and mobile were problematic, but I have resolved it. I do like the USB charging however, and the fact I can now transfer images to my laptop without having to remove the memory card (albeit slowly). The first thing I did was upgrade the firmware on the camera and lens.

Are there any recommendations for ease of use, etc that perhaps I've missed? I haven't customised anything much apart from saving RAW and fine jpeg. I do need to spend more time with it outside, but can only do that in the better weather.

Associate
I have to say FujiFilm cameras are always a joy to shoot with, very intuitive to pick up and use, and feel great in the hand. There's a lot going into improving the technology, and we're honestly all very spoiled, but there's a lot to say about manufacturers investing in the basics, and Fujifilm gets a lot right. Well worth trying out before anyone buys into any system.

Man of Honour
OP
I’ve taken it away with me this weekend just to get a feel for it on the road so to speak. I’ve run in to two issues so far. First one is if I set it to aperture priority and turn the camera 90 degrees when I focus using the display it will temporarily go blank. It’s quite annoying as I have to press the button down again whilst the picture reappears. Second issue is battery. I’m not sure if I’ve fully charged this thing but it went from three bars to one in less than 2 hours. Now I’ve another full day ahead of me with one bar left. I’ve taken less than 100 photos however. I realise the screen drain is quite high but surely longer than that? I’ll have to switch the screen off.

Associate
I’ve taken it away with me this weekend just to get a feel for it on the road so to speak. I’ve run in to two issues so far. First one is if I set it to aperture priority and turn the camera 90 degrees when I focus using the display it will temporarily go blank. It’s quite annoying as I have to press the button down again whilst the picture reappears. Second issue is battery. I’m not sure if I’ve fully charged this thing but it went from three bars to one in less than 2 hours. Now I’ve another full day ahead of me with one bar left. I’ve taken less than 100 photos however. I realise the screen drain is quite high but surely longer than that? I’ll have to switch the screen off.
Do you just have the 1 battery? I don't think you charged it fully, or there's a fault. That's a surprisingly severe drain.

Man of Honour
OP
Guess I’ll have to get a second battery. It lasted about 15 minutes and that was with the screen off. I’m not convinced it was fully charged even though is showed 3 bars. That’s just crazy. It lasted about 2hrs 15 before completely dying. Anyone know how long a full charge takes?

Soldato
boosted mode? No idea what that is I’m afraid.
Neither did I until about two days ago. But as Buddy pointed out, enable Boosted mode - it's in the settings somewhere, unfortunately I haven't my camera to hand to say exactly where.
I actually disabled boost mode as I had three different shoots yesterday so wanted to keep the battery going as long as possible. The laggy screen can be an annoying side effect of that.

Associate
IMO the A6600 is a pretty good choice as I have a simulacra situation to the OP. I own a Canon 7Dii and even a mate of mine who has a 6D says the weight of the 7Dii is heavy !
I have a Sony NEX 5R which is very small form factor and the IQ from a 16MP is pretty damn good and if I could get hold of the EVF ( a Sony accessory when sold new was over £300 ) I would not want a 2nd camera. So I have some E mount lenses so getting a A6600 is the obvious choice. Plus I own a sigma MC-11 canon EF to Sony e mount so I can use my canon lenses on a Sony.
The human and animal eye detect on the Sony is truly amazing and that is one of the main reasons for me wanting it.

Man of Honour
OP
Just thought I'd update this thread. I've now invested in a external charger and have 2 extra batteries, so what happened before should never happen again. It turns out even though the charge said it was complete, it simply wasn't. 3 bars obviously doesn't mean 3 bars. I recharged the original battery for a lot longer and I instantly had better performance, a new interface on the screen and the battery lasted a lot longer, as one would expect. I've no idea why it didn't work properly in the first place. It's as if the camera was hamstrung by a less than full charge and was operating at 50%. Weird!!

So, I've had a play and I like it. I took it out on my bike with me today, and it's easy to transport, without issue. A good purchase. It will definitely take getting used to, but Im up for the challenge.

I've got the 15-45 which is fine for most things, but I would like a bit more bokeh for my portrait, and a bit wider for my landscape. So which lenses would be worthy of investment?

olv

olv

Soldato
So which lenses would be worthy of investment?

You are spoilt for choice really. The 10-24 is excellent if you want a dedicated landscape lens. The Samyang 12mm F2 is cheap but performs well if you're happy to manual focus and makes a nice astro lens if that's your bag. The 14mm 2.8 is good but doesn't give you anything wider really. And the 16mm is again, very good but probably not what you're after.

The F2 primes, 23/35/50, are excellent, fast, light, great image quality and good value. F2 isn't that bokehlicious on APS-C at mid focus distances though. The 1.4 primes are glorious, even if the AF isn't latest gen tech. I love my 35mm 1.4, if I could only have one lens it would be that. The 56mm 1.2 is a bit magic too and I'd like to get one at some stage.

Manual adapted lenses are worth a look too. I have an adapted 58mm 1.4 Rokkor that was <£100 all in and it's really fun and produces some nice pictures.

Soldato
Just thought I'd update this thread. I've now invested in a external charger and have 2 extra batteries, so what happened before should never happen again. It turns out even though the charge said it was complete, it simply wasn't. 3 bars obviously doesn't mean 3 bars. I recharged the original battery for a lot longer and I instantly had better performance, a new interface on the screen and the battery lasted a lot longer, as one would expect. I've no idea why it didn't work properly in the first place. It's as if the camera was hamstrung by a less than full charge and was operating at 50%. Weird!!

So, I've had a play and I like it. I took it out on my bike with me today, and it's easy to transport, without issue. A good purchase. It will definitely take getting used to, but Im up for the challenge.

I've got the 15-45 which is fine for most things, but I would like a bit more bokeh for my portrait, and a bit wider for my landscape. So which lenses would be worthy of investment?
You could do a lot worse than the XC 35mm f2. The lens optics are identical to the more premium XF model but at almost a third of the price - £169 brand new and even less used.
It was the first prime I bought for my X-T20 and I haven't been disappointed.
And as olv pointed out above, the Samyang 12mm f2 is a fantastic wide lens and manual focus with peaking on the Fujifilm cameras is an absolute doddle. I have been playing with the Samyang this week and it's sooo sharp. I can actually take a photo and crop it to about 20-25mm and it still has better resolution than my 16-80 at those focal lengths. The Samyang was also sharper than my outgoing Canon 16-35mm f4 L paired with my full frame 6dii.

Back
Top Bottom