SONY Fans loyalty..

Soldato
FrankJH said:
They do some of the best TV's (and monitors) , projectors, amps, and general audio gear also - so dont mock what you obviously dont know or dont care to know about.

Thats a big assumption to make. Most people here will have had a product of Sony's at some point.

Sony are very pioneering with their products in some cases. This doesn't mean they are good quality, good performers or in fact good value. They make an awful lot of lower end crap (Aiwa anyone?) and you only really get the Sony 'quality' when you look at their higher end products. Assuming people will buy your product based on past success alone is a dangerous strategy and shows arrogance on their part. I hope it succeeds but they need to show a little more respect to their customer base, especially making public statements like that.

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
I totally agree! Sony's highest quality department are their televisions. Their brand loyalty got them through the last console war where, in my opinion, the Dreamcast and the Xbox were both better consoles than the Sony Playstation 2.

Of course you are welcome to your opinion, I have no problem with that at all.

The market as a whole would question your view however.

Brand loyalty would not sell so many consoles and games and for so long either. Especially with the X360 on the market

With 200,000 units sold in North America last month, the figures speak for themselves

Soldato
FrankJH said:
Check your facts the CD was a JOINT venture between Phillips and Sony

So sony didnt discover it then?

Minidisc was a failure on who's terms? Again check your facts

where is it now? where are all the new models? where's the mainstream support?

failure. check your facts mr. arrogant. come on now, at least be polite about it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
FrankJH said:
Check your facts the CD was a JOINT venture between Phillips and Sony

Minidisc was a failure on who's terms? Again check your facts

MiniDisc cost Sony a LOT of money, it was a good product, financially it was a failure. It was unable to superceed CD due to price and it couldn't survive due to MP3 players on the horizon.

Philips pioneered the CD, Sony took a back seat and merely put money forward.

Caporegime
FrankJH said:
Brand loyalty would not sell so many consoles and games and for so long either. Especially with the X360 on the market

I suggest you remember back to people not buying a Sega Dreamcast because they are "Waiting for the Playstation 2", it's also happened again, with people not buying a Microsoft Xbox360 because they are "Waiting for the Playstation 3".

It has the name and people want it based on the fact it's the console to have.

Also, as for buying figures, remember, Sony +1 for every console they have replaced due to failing too.

Soldato
james.miller said:

where is it now? where are the new models?

failure. check your facts mr. arrogant.

You can get HiFi seperates for MiniDisk still to this day, no media is released on them but as a entry level recordable medium they are still ok, although MP3 players have killed them in the portable market.

PS3 to me at the moment looks like a graphics fest, I am a PC fanboy, with a 360 on the way, I will be buying a Wii at launch and after seeing what Gran Turismo is like, will probably pick a PS3 up 6 months after release, if its games are any good.

I have 0 brand loyalty between the 360 and PS3, I am a nintendo/sega guy from the console of 15+ years ago, whichever consoles offer me fun that I can not get on the PC I will buy.

The 360 gives me arcade style racers and sports games for multiplayer on Live, the Wii enables me to play games with my nan, the PS3 looks very nice at the moment, but my PC does that.

As soon as the PS3 makes me say I WANT THAT GAME I will get one, but at the moment with the lack of information I have not had that reaction. No doubt I will at some point, but that point is not now.

The one thing I do not get is how people say it was the PS1 that created the gaming boom. It wasn't. The PS1 just happend to be the product that was released at the right time to captivate the market that had grown over the last decade or so. It was Nintendo and SEGA that created the market. However Sony managed to pip them to the post.
I have no doubts in my mind that if Sony had not released a games console SEGA and Nintendo would have done very well in Sony's absence and the console market would not be much different from what it is today.

Last edited:
Soldato
DailyGeek said:
Thats a big assumption to make. Most people here will have had a product of Sony's at some point.

Sony are very pioneering with their products in some cases. This doesn't mean they are good quality, good performers or in fact good value. They make an awful lot of lower end crap (Aiwa anyone?) and you only really get the Sony 'quality' when you look at their higher end products. Assuming people will buy your product based on past success alone is a dangerous strategy and shows arrogance on their part. I hope it succeeds but they need to show a little more respect to their customer base, especially making public statements like that.

OP was mocking the BRAND as a whole so I responded to that, nothing more or less.

Yes they own the Aiwa brand which may not be to your taste - Do you blame VW for owning Seat , Audi or do you look at Fiat and expect a Ferrari? You choose your budget and go from there in all walks of life - why shouldnt Sony have a different budget brand?

Not true at all - I have bought £200 minidisc walkman recorders before and they are high quality without being a high price. Sony's budget AV packages for £300 or so have got outstanding reviews on their own and compared to similar stuff from other brands. Same for projectors you can buy one for £1000 ( which is really budget for a porjector) or you can pay £7000 for a better model - both of which have had decent reviews in many magazines

For most companies I would agree that to assume would be dangerous - but Sony DO have a huge following, and compared to the amount of PSOne's and PS2's they have sold in the last 10 years the figures they mentioned in the quote is chicken feed.

If they had said 20 Million units, or more even then sure you could say that was dangerous - but 5 million over three major territories , thats not even 2 million for each of the US and Japan and one million for Europe

If they could produce them , I would bet My house on them selling twice that number in all territories before Jan 1st 2007

Caporegime
Kronologic said:
The one thing I do not get is how people say it was the PS1 that created the gaming boom. It wasn't. The PS1 just happend to be the product that was released at the right time to captivate the market that had grown over the last decade or so. It was Nintendo and SEGA that created the market. However Sony managed to pip them to the post. I have no doubts in my mind that if Sony had not released a games console SEGA and Nintendo would have done very well in Sony's absence and the console market would not be much different from what it is today.

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree. You're right in saying Nintendo and Sega captured the gaming markets to start with, but it was Sony who created the boom.

Sony issued from day 1 that they were aiming for a different age range than Sega and Nintendo, and that they were aiming their console at a range of people who can afford their own consoles and games, the games would be more mature. I have to congratulate their PR people and to the Market Researchers as they hit the nail on the head.

Soldato
FrankJH said:
OP was mocking the BRAND as a whole so I responded to that, nothing more or less.

Because they are mockable :confused: sony mass produce cheap goods. Wether that is good or bad is your desicision, but when thopse cheap goods are sold for a high price, its nothing more than a profit machine driven by the reputation they once lived up to.

Not true at all - I have bought £200 minidisc walkman recorders before and they are high quality without being a high price.

£200 is a high price for a lossy recording medium, i dont know how you could think otherwise :)

Soldato
james.miller said:

where is it now? where are all the new models? where's the mainstream support?

failure. check your facts mr. arrogant. come on now, at least be polite about it.

Without the joint venture CD wouldnt be here, so YES they did discover it. They own the licence along with Phillips. Dotn get me wrong Phillips did 50% of the work and Sony the other 50%, but it took BOTH companies to get it working, so they DID discover it. No question

Where is the tape, where is the DCC? Formats dont have to last long to be a success, by your standards betamax was also a failure then - when it blatently wasnt.

I am pointing out facts for people who were dismissing the whole brand, not being arrogant.

Associate
OP
Wow I go away for a bit and this happens =]

Great responses all, my own opinion of SONY is that they struggle in quality areas in some places, especially TV's. When shopping for my 32" TV SONY was never mentioned by any of the guys who I consult with regarding that kinf of kit, at the time they didnt even have any good reviews in magazines like What Hi-Fi etc.

There is always brand loyalty, when I had bikes I loved Aprilia, bemoaned anyone who derided them but it wouldn't have stopped me buying another bike that when I tried I really liked. I am surprised they where brazen enough to come out and say it in such a way as could be interpreted as starting an e-peen war with the other players in the market. Its well known SONY are in BIG financial trouble and the PS side of the business has really kept them afloat, maybe the failure of PS3 cannot be an option even worth considering for SONY.

NokkonWud said:
I'm afraid I'd have to disagree. You're right in saying Nintendo and Sega captured the gaming markets to start with, but it was Sony who created the boom.

Sony issued from day 1 that they were aiming for a different age range than Sega and Nintendo, and that they were aiming their console at a range of people who can afford their own consoles and games, the games would be more mature. I have to congratulate their PR people and to the Market Researchers as they hit the nail on the head.

Yes but they were aiming it at the people that had grown up with the consoles. The market was there because every kid had played a nes, snes, master system and megadrive. It was enevitable that the next console generation would be snapped up by people that were buying consoles for themselves rather than their children. Because the average gaming age was (is) rising, with in line with people that were playing the NES.

Sony did well in timing their product, nothing more, nothing less imo.

Caporegime
Betamax wasn't a failure? Are you kidding me?
Video cassette was around for well over a decade, MiniDisc was around for about 4 years (only around 2.5 of those successful).

Compare it to CD... you can still go into any leading store in the world and buy a CD. You can also buy a VHS cassette. You won't be able to buy a MiniDisc or Betamax cassette.

Associate
I was never really a console gamer and the first console I ever bought was a Gamecube which I purchased based on the games coming out for it. I pre-ordered and got it on the day of release with Super Monkey Ball 1. I liked the playstation 2 but preferred to get the gamecube. The GC has been a magnificent investment for me, I still play it regularly today. It'll still be around when I purchase my next console.

Currently I'm looking forward to the release of the PS3, I've been following it's developments for sometime and will probably wait till after Christmas till I purchase one as all pre-orders will have been filled. I'm certainly no fan boy but was genuinely exicted by the details regarding the console. Games I'm looking forward to are Killzone and RE5.

EDIT: VHS didn't have the quality Beetamax did, but VHS became the standard for tape media.

Last edited:
Soldato
james.miller said:
Because they are mockable :confused: sony mass produce cheap goods. Wether that is good or bad is your desicision, but when thopse cheap goods are sold for a high price, its nothing more than a profit machine driven by the reputation they once lived up to.

£200 is a high price for a lossy recording medium, i dont know how you could think otherwise :)

People who test electronic goods for a living are more likely to have a more rounded opinion I would say.

If you are closed minded then thats upto you, but Sony wouldnt be around if all their equipment was the junk you suggest.

Maybe you should actually TRY a minidisc recorder , because it certainly wasnt lossy at all, it was as crystal clear for the purpose intended ( I am talking about potentially around 5 years ago when I bought it ) IT was reasonable at the time and it was one of the few options available

Back
Top Bottom