Sony/PS3, maybe trying to stop Pre-owned Games

Caporegime
I can only see that someone is making wordplay from something that Sony have produced. It's easy to make something out from wording for a legal document.

Don't believe me? Look at the warranty on a game such as:
WARRANTY

NOKKONWUD Software warrants to the purchaser only that the disc provided with this manual and the software program coded on it will perform in accordance with the description in this manual when used with the specific equipment, for a period of 90 days from the date of purchase.

NOKKONWUD warrants that the original media holding the product is free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and service for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of purchase, as evidenced by a dated proof of purchase. If the media is found to be defective, you may return the product and all accompanying materials to the place you obtained it for a replacement or a refund. This limited warranty does not apply if you have damaged the media by accident or abuse.

This warranty is in lieu of all other warranties, whether oral or written, expressed or implied warranties, including those of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, if applicable are limited in duration to 90 days from the date of purchase of this product.

NOKKONWUD shall not be liable for incidental and/or consequential damages for the breach of any express or implied warranty including damage to property and, to the extent permitted by law, damages for personal injury, even if NOKKONWUD has been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of any incidental or consequential damages or limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you.

This warranty shall not be applicable to the extent that any provision of this warranty is prohibited by any national or European law, which cannot be pre-empted. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights, which may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

You may not reproduce, prepare, derivative works based on, distribute copies of, offer for sale, sell, transfer ownership of, rent, lease or lend to others the Program or accompanying documentation; provided, however, that you may transfer the entire Program and accompanying documentation on a permanent basis as long as you retain no copies (including archival or backup copies) of the Program, accompanying documentation, and the recipient agrees to the terms of the agreement. Further, you may not modify, reverse engineer, decompile or translate the program or accompanying documentation, nor may you make any copies of the Program modules for the use with other programs. This Program is intended for private use only.
I wrote it up as part of a dossier for use in games design production.

Associate
Surely the only way to enforce this is for the console to go online and check to see if the game disc has been registered already (as werewolf pointed out before)? Too far fetched surely.

Plus you can't write anything to the disc, given that the PS3 contains a ROM drive?

Soldato
aint going to happen..

as stated only way to enforce it is if you either write something on the disc or a main database is used (like MS and windows) but that would mean you would HA VE to have broadband and b-able to plug your PS3 into it from where ever you use it just to use a PS3.. can you really see that happening? And i somehow dont think the PS3 will be sporting a lovely blu-ray writer ;)

Only way sony could do anything like this would to stop supplying hardware to places that are selling the second hand games.

It simply aint gonna happen.. Not this Gen anyway

Soldato
It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.
Well.. umm.. It's always been like that! It's always been the case that when you buy software you pay for a license to use it. The only person that actually OWNS any software is the copyright holder. The point is you can sell a game on because you are selling the license to someone else. This article seems to be very naive.

I wouldn't be surprised if this system Sony is supposedly planning isn't even legal.

Man of Honour
This has been gone through over and over and over again on different forums and there has been evidence brought forward proving that they will not be stopping pre-owned games use. Can't remember the evidence, or where I saw it but I've seen it more than twice already.

Soldato
two things that strike me as making this unlikely if not impossible

1) as suggested above you would have to have a blue ray writer (unless you had a blue ray reader mated with a cd/dvd writer that could only reach 1st layer of disc? not sure if this is technically possible but would save loadsssss of yen if possible)

2) what happens with failed ps3 systems - when you have to have a new system do you have to send all your games back also???

Think its unlikely to be honest - also impossible to backtrack later on, and this is why ps2 is so healthy still because there is such a backcatalogue of demo / old games - i know there are a lot of old games in new packaging at £20 or so but every store also has large 2nd hand section

Wouldnt be surprised though if that legal statement about nothing being said was a way to get out of something being intentionally leaked and finding out how it would be seen in the market place

Soldato
they have only stated that its not true that the game can only be played on the 1 machine idea. They can still put pressure on the rental companies or places that are known to sell 2nd hand games, they could simply fine the shop.

Associate
The really insane thing about this is that after all the rootkit rubbish and some excellent dissection of the AUP notices etc this is EXACTLY what the big companies want.... Imagine a world where everything you consume is merely licensed and as soon as you stop paying for the license the content goes away...

Unfortunately I think there's a SONY exec sat somewhere looking at all this and thinking "if only it where true" :D

I Doubt that Sony will ensure that each game can only be played on one console. That is unmanageable.

However I do not doubt for one second that they will do what ever they can to prevent retailers re-selling their games. If sony do that then I simply will stop buying their products. Hopefully many others will follow suit and M$ and Nintendo will not follow Sony's lead.

Associate
Yes we know Syph :D

It's still a big thing long term that content publishers want to achieve, complete control of content throughout its lifecycle and making sure you pay them at every opportunity.... If the RIAA had had the chance you would have to pay for every copy of an album content you bought and listened to on a different medium....

1) Buy CD, 1 license.
2) Copy to tape for car (yeah i know, I know but it demonstrates a point) , 1 license
3) Rip to mobile media player, 1 license
4) Stream to TV/Mediacentre, 1 license

4 * licenses for 1 bit of content, they'd be wetting themselves! Same would apply to games, you buy the license to the game and they'd stipulate you cannot 'own' the content or medium therefore you have no authority to transfer that license. i.e. no secondary sales market....

Maybe this time it was rumour central but one day it'll come, you don't think HDCP and all these other new content protection mechanisms are just for security do you?? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom