Sony/PS3, maybe trying to stop Pre-owned Games

Associate
OP
I still think Sony will try to go through with cutting out the secondhand market in big highstreet stores as Game for example do rip people off and it will help profits to sony.

Soldato
Firstly, this rumour was doing the rounds last year sometime... it's very old.

Secondly, I believe the second link about as much as I believe the first. One random link to a random internet article saying someone said something != truth.

Thirdly, bearing in mind point 2, the second link just denies any physical prevention of disc's being sold on the second hand market etc. It doesn't say Sony wont try and prevent this by threatening stores like GAME with removal of licenses to sell original hardware and software. Remember, GAME make a much bigger profit on the second hand market than they do on selling originals. Sony could well be quite wii'd off with this.

As has been said before, we wont know until the console ships and someone clever figures out all the legal stuff on the games sold etc. To be honest, I wouldn't put it past some backward thinking Sony exec to try this out. I hope for their sake, they have enough sane board members to ignore him.

Associate
MadFruit said:
To be honest, I wouldn't put it past some backward thinking Sony exec to try this out. I hope for their sake, they have enough sane board members to ignore him.

Its not just one, there's a whole army of them in Hollywood and the music industry.

Soldato
How does game rental work? Do the publishers (in this case Sony) get a cut of the profits from rental? So I'm guessing it's in Sony's interest not to stop game rental.

Soldato
Psyk said:
How does game rental work? Do the publishers (in this case Sony) get a cut of the profits from rental? So I'm guessing it's in Sony's interest not to stop game rental.
As far as I am aware they don't get a cut of the profits as it were, they sell a different license for rental copies - same as DVDs. So where are you may pay £50 for a game in the shop, to buy a game to rent you may pay £50,000. Or you may have bought a specific license which allows you to rent all games - but that would be a corporate deal type thing.

I don't know for sure, but that's how I would imagine it would work - and my numbers are purely made up ;)

Associate
Have a look at this URL: http://www.futureplc.com/future/aboutus/history.jsp?all=1

Under August 2002 you will find the following paragraph:
‘MSN.co.uk chooses Future as its official games partner.
Future's gamesradar.com becomes a part of MSN.co.uk providing gaming expertise
and content for the UK's number one web destination. (MMXI April 2002).’

This is just FUD spread by Microsoft via Gamesradar.

Associate
Syph said:
HELLO?

LOOK!

D'oh! ;) :o

That article is about the other PS3 rumor, not this current one. Rumor last Autumn was that the games could be keyed to a particular console the first time they're played. No renting, loaning, selling, etc. You'd even be screwed if your PS3 died and you bought a second one. As the article states, there was never any substance to the rumor and it was entirely based around a patent that Sony has.

The article at GamesRadar is dated 24/5/06 and is about them stopping used games with a EULA and the lawyers to back it up, not with technology. Doesn't mean it's any more true than the last rumor though, and I still don't believe it would even be legal.

Here's the new Gamespot RumorControl about it -- http://www.gamespot.com/news/rumorcontrol.html

Soldato
Corrado said:
The article at GamesRadar is dated 24/5/06 and is about them stopping used games with a EULA and the lawyers to back it up, not with technology. Doesn't mean it's any more true than the last rumor though, and I still don't believe it would even be legal.
Good luck getting a EULA to hold up in court. Unless they make you sign one before you buy a game.

Soldato
Mellownatts said:
I dont know how this would be enforcable, as i'm pretty sure any company that attempts to enforce such a thing would lose more money than they gain.

I know this is not a console game....But didnt valve do this with there half-life 2 PC game..
You owned the right to play the game but you couldn't sell it on after..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom