1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony PSP

Discussion in 'PCCG Archive' started by ZXSpectrum, 22 Sep 2004.

1. ZXSpectrum

Sgarrista

WOW... Has anyone seen this baby? I will deffo be buying this machine... Go to IGN and check it out... The console looks awesome, the games look awesome and extremely fast (Check out Ridge Racer and GT4 Mobile:eek: )

Anyone got a release date? Looks like March 2005...

2. lightningrod

Associate

I think its mid 2005 for us in the UK although I'm not toaly sure about that.

If I get it then i'll be getting it for ff7 advent children and GT4.

3. ZXSpectrum

Sgarrista

Hope they come out with the Resident Evil Series for it...

i can just imagine playing it on a plane with the Zombies groaning away... Class!

4. divine`

PermaBanned

With its two hour battery life...

Portable - if something 17cm long is 'portable' enough.

Looks too big for me...

5. Goatboy

Man of Honour

sounds like the Atari Lynx!

6. Pug

Soldato

and what a great system that was (technologically at least)

7. Wizzfizz

Capodecina

I wan't one of these when they're out.

8. teabagger

Wise Guy

9. andshrew

Wise Guy

10. teabagger

Wise Guy

oh yeah, and stated battery life:

games:10 hours
    audio:8 hours
    movies:2.5 hours

11. Bigsy

Mobster

Do those numbers not look a little daft to you m8?

Games have audio do they not? But audio on its own drains the battery quicker??

And what makes a movie drain the battery so much more than a game?

By the looks of the thing I reckon we'll be lucky to get 2 hours out everything apart from just audio.

12. wango2

Gangster

Audio will drain the battery quicker than just games because it will be constantly accessing disc storage, movies even more so because it is also producing video.

13. teabagger

Wise Guy

The main drain on battery power (apart from the screen) comes from streaming data off the disk. Movies will access the disk most heavily, then audio, then games hence the battey life times above.

14. [SKR]Phoenix

Wise Guy

15. Bigsy

Mobster

Come on its not that hard to work it out is it.

Look at how much more the movie drains over audio, difference being the screen.....as both as you say are streamed off disk....so the screen must be a big battery drain right? Like you would expect - Sooo games would drain the battery far more that audio on its own.

Again surely games are going to have half decent music too? Does this not need to be accessed from the storage also?

If anyone thinks we're gonna get 10 hours for games out of this thing there living in cloud cuckoo land.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2004
  16. Goatboy

Man of Honour

I don't think streaming from the disc would be that much of a drain, surely its no different to personal cd players some of those clock in 40 hours from a pair of AA batteries.

The screen is backlit so surely thats where the power will go, logically audio would be the lowest battery drain.

17. [SKR]Phoenix

Wise Guy

18. teabagger

Wise Guy

In all fairness I'd not considered the lack of screen activity when playing audio. Hey, I'm just quoting of CNN and I've read those figures a number of times before.

As for the audio in games point you're looking at MIDI based sounds so there is actually very little raw data to be read from the disk and then stored in memory. Compared that to a .wmv file (I know will be some other Sony controlled format) at between 4 and 6MB per track and there is a pretty hefty difference in terms of raw data that needs to be streamed off the disk. You won't find game audio being streamed off the disk at all.

19. Bigsy

Mobster

Gotta say I find that quite disappointing, having seen all the advancements in graphics I thought they might have put some effort into advancing the sounds past MIDI quality.

Edit
    Hmm seems they have, a few websites I looked at said game audio will be based on a version on MPEG4 format.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2004
  20. Kappa

Soldato

Lol do you have to be so skeptic?

Songs in games arent the basic cheap midi you hear in windows. Have you played Final Fantasy 7 or 8? All that music was in MIDI, and was impressive at that. I think he means they wont be fully fledged CD quality songs in games.

Also, they said 10 hours battery, can you not believe that until it is proved wrong?