Sony PSP

Soldato
Originally posted by Kappa
Lol do you have to be so skeptic?

Also, they said 10 hours battery, can you not believe that until it is proved wrong?
Skeptic? Just because I'm choosing to not to view it through my blue tinted specs?

Just trying to inject some degree of realism into the debate.

And no I can't believe it, especially when the other quoted figures seem to contradict it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by Kappa
kk, but this is coming from the company who can run a tape player for 72 hours on one aa battery :p
And the battery life for my widescreen Sony trinitron TV would be negligible.

Relevance also == 0.

Man of Honour
This device has Wifi.

Does anyone know if it will also be able to access the internet via Wifi?

If so, I'm getting one on release day :D

Soldato
Originally posted by [TW]Fox
This device has Wifi.

Does anyone know if it will also be able to access the internet via Wifi?

If so, I'm getting one on release day :D

Should be able to, but you would need to be in a hotspot.

Associate
Originally posted by Bigsy
Come on its not that hard to work it out is it.

Look at how much more the movie drains over audio, difference being the screen.....as both as you say are streamed off disk....so the screen must be a big battery drain right? Like you would expect - Sooo games would drain the battery far more that audio on its own.

Again surely games are going to have half decent music too? Does this not need to be accessed from the storage also?

If anyone thinks we're gonna get 10 hours for games out of this thing there living in cloud cuckoo land.

No it isn't hard to work out, playing music is FAR less demanding in terms of CPU than video decoding. A video disc will be constantly spinning, video constantly decoding, the CPU constantly under pressure and the graphics chipset constantly being used. The difference isnt the screen, music can pretty much be streamed directly from the disk.

For games, audio is likely to be part of the overall game files and read into memory as and when they are needed to save battery life. Games hardly ever use full scores anyway, just smallish snatches of incidental music that are either repeated or triggered at specific places.

- wango

Soldato
Originally posted by Bigsy
Do those numbers not look a little daft to you m8?

Games have audio do they not? But audio on its own drains the battery quicker??

And what makes a movie drain the battery so much more than a game?

By the looks of the thing I reckon we'll be lucky to get 2 hours out everything apart from just audio.

Plus the sound in games is not as high or hard to prcess as say a 320k vbr mp3

Associate
Right, time to buy a PSP

on the strength of Wi-Fi? May I ask why? :confused:

and the battery life is to do with the fact ( I think) games will cache themselves onto memory onboard the PSP. It'll then shut off the Disc, thus saving battery power.

It can't do that with the other two... 10 hours does seem a bit far fetched. Half that is more likely :p heh

Can't type for toffee
Don
FF7:AC is a movie not a game.
Although it will be released in both DVD and UMD format.
However FF7:Dirge of Cerberus will be released on the PSP and as yet has not had any info regarding what type of game it is.

Main character in the game is Vincent, and apparantly he is up against an underground faction destoying cities.

Although the PSP does look nice it does look a litle on the larger size . . . .And no cover for the screen ?

Im quite looking forwards to this but I think that it may be silly money to import one. And what about regional coding ?
Will there be a PAL/NTSC version or will this just be a standard format like the GBASP and (afaik) the DS.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by AtomicBanana
on the strength of Wi-Fi? May I ask why? :confused:

Becuase the games are something I'd like, but could probably not justify. However, if I could use the unit to access the internet at home and at Uni, I will buy one, becuase it'll be worth having for me :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Originally posted by ~Divine~Wind~

Will there be a PAL/NTSC version or will this just be a standard format like the GBASP and (afaik) the DS.

There's no such thing as PAL/NTSC on a portable system, they are the TV broadcast standards of how many lines can be displayed which is irrelevant to handhelds as they use custom screens, unless they have a tv output of course.

Whether or not they have regional lockout on games is another matter entirely. My guess is there will be and if not for the games movie studios will insist on having it for film discs.

Associate
Originally posted by [TW]Fox
Becuase the games are something I'd like, but could probably not justify. However, if I could use the unit to access the internet at home and at Uni, I will buy one, becuase it'll be worth having for me :)

A palmPC or a PDA type device would be more suitable for that, I don't really see the PSP being a viable portable internet surfing machine to be honest. I may well be proved wrong but I can't see someone doing a browser for it either.

Soldato
The PSP will be region locked, like the PS2, but the Nintendo DS will be region free.

Bigsy, I dont know how your TV is powered by batteries, the point I was making is that there was a time where 50+ hours of audio on an AA battery was unheard of, and so why cant the PSP too be a marvel of efficiency and have a long battery life? Its a new product....therefore more thought and devolopment would have gone into it. I 100% doubt they would release a product which lasts as long as you say it will.

Associate
It's been my experience to half any battery life estimates made by manufacturers. I remember a friend has the Atari Lynx which was supposed to last 8 hours on batteries, it usually managed 2!

From what I've read about the PSP, Sony is encouraging developers to have an option to enable or disable streaming from the disc, which means players can put up with loading screens and longer battery life or no loading screens and shorter battery life. Games like GTA would become quite tiresome if it stopped to load every minute or so though...

While it's not quite the same thing, I've noticed both my laptop and iPaq's batteries go flat quickest when playing games, and when I underclock the CPU the battery life increases dramatically, unless the CPU in the PSP is really efficient I think it will be the thirstiest component in the device. Won't stop me buying one, or the Nintendo DS either! :)

Back
Top Bottom