Sony Xperia m4 - not fit for purpose!

Soldato
Also a shame a few others are doing it too. Can't they have some sort of built in test to check speeds of SD cards to see if they deem it fast enough to use for adaptive storage?

I think it's more a case of Google intended it to be used as full expandable storage in emerging markets, and just plain media storage in the primary markets.

I don't know if there are any strict guidelines or incentives for tier 1 manufacturers though. I would have thought Sony of all manufacturers, with their stock-like approach and minimal storage options, would allow for the use of SD cards as data storage. Samsung I can understand, though disagree with.

Caporegime
If the OP is right about the lack of storage I think he has a fair point.

Having a phone out of the box with no space isn't on at any price point.

All phones should be able to have a decent amount of apps Installed.
Stupid to sell any modern phones with anything less than 16gb

I actually agree with the op here, the 8GB memory on this phone does actually make it practically unusable as a smart phone outside of the apps pre-installed which even for £189 is pretty poor imo, you might as well just call this a waterproof camera phone!, it just seems like a waste of hardware to me for the sake of a couple of quid of extra internal memory and this would actually be a quite capable smart phone, not sure what Sony was thinking.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Also a shame a few others are doing it too. Can't they have some sort of built in test to check speeds of SD cards to see if they deem it fast enough to use for adaptive storage?

Yep it's already there and warns you if your card isn't up to speed, I've got a cheap class 10 in my Moto Force that gave me a warning message about it being a bit slow but after a few weeks usage I've not noticed any issues.

Back
Top Bottom