**** Sony Xperia™ XZ Premium ****

Soldato
Another bland phone from Sony however I'm going to pick up the dual sim version and get rid of my 6p an Moto g4.

Thought about the OnePlus but prefer Sony to OnePlus.

https://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/phones/xperia-xz-premium/

Specifications

Specifications
Memory and storage
4GB RAM
64GB (Single SIM)/64GB (Dual SIM) UFS internal memory1
microSDXC support (up to 256GB)
SIM capability
Single SIM
Dual SIM
Nano SIM
Operating System
Google Android™ 7.1 (Nougat)
Processor (CPU)
Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 835 processor
Battery
3230mAh
Smart Stamina
Qnovo Adaptive Charging
Battery Care
STAMINA Mode
Qualcomm® Quick Charge 3.0
Durability
Water resistant (IP65/68)2
Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5 on front and back
Weight
191g
Dimensions
156 x 77 x 7.9 mm
Colour
Luminous Chrome
Deepsea Black
Display
5.5'' 4K HDR Display
TRILUMINOS™ Display for mobile
X-Reality™ for mobile
Dynamic Contrast Enhancer
sRGB 138% spectrum compared to standard videos (SDR)
Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5 on front and back
Main camera
19MP Motion Eye™ Camera
1/2.3” Exmor RS™ for mobile memory stacked sensor
Pixel Pitch 1.22μm
Triple image sensing technology
Predictive Hybrid Autofocus
960 fps Super slow motion videos
Predictive Capture
0.5 sec Quick Launch & Capture
Anti-distortion shutter
Low-light photo: ISO 12800 / 4000 (Video)
HDR Photo
25mm wide Sony’s award-winning G Lens F2.0
x8 Digital Zoom
BIONZ™ for mobile image-processing engine
SteadyShot™ with Intelligent Active Mode (5-axis stablization)
4K recording
Front camera
13MP
1/3.06” Exmor RS™ for mobile image sensor
22mm Wide-angle lens F2.0
ISO 6400 (Photo) / 1600 (Video)
SteadyShot™ with Intelligent Active Mode (5-axis stablization)
Networks
GSM GPRS/EDGE (2G)
UMTS HSPA+ (3G)
LTE (4G) Cat16 with Gigabit-class speeds3
Connectivity
A-GNSS (GPS + GLONASS)3
WiFi Miracast
Bluetooth® 5.0 wireless technology
DLNA Certified®
Google Cast
NFC
USB 3.14 /USB Type-C™
Fingerprint sensor
Fast and secure unlock
Sound
High-Resolution Audio (LPCM, FLAC, ALAC, DSD)
DSEE HX™
LDAC
Digital Noise Cancelling
Clear Audio+
Stereo speaker with S-Force Front Surround
Stereo Recording
Entertainment
PS4 Remote Play
Applications
Music
Album
Video
Movie Creator
Spotify
News
What's New
Sound Photo
AR effect
Key accessories
Style Cover Stand SCSG10
Quick Charger UCH12W
Charging Dock DK60
Hi-res headset MDR-NC750
Bluetooth(R) Headset with Speaker SBH56

Soldato
I'm actually considering this phone as well. OP recently announced the 3 and 3T will get Android O so seems like OP2 support is over and hasn't even got an official nougat ROM, so the OP5 may not have good support once the flagship after it arrive. Sony on the other hand seems to have a good record, at least on their high end phones.

Ignoring the same/similar design from the original Z, specs wise it seems like a really good phone. And the Xperia UI is pretty much stock Android which is a plus.

Shame about the camera though, Sony does try really hard every time but always manage to mess up on something: http://www.gsmarena.com/blind_shootout_lg_g6_samsung_galaxy_s8_sony_xperia-review-1611p2.php

Soldato
OP
I'm actually considering this phone as well. OP recently announced the 3 and 3T will get Android O so seems like OP2 support is over and hasn't even got an official nougat ROM, so the OP5 may not have good support once the flagship after it arrive. Sony on the other hand seems to have a good record, at least on their high end phones.

Ignoring the same/similar design from the original Z, specs wise it seems like a really good phone. And the Xperia UI is pretty much stock Android which is a plus.

Shame about the camera though, Sony does try really hard every time but always manage to mess up on something: http://www.gsmarena.com/blind_shootout_lg_g6_samsung_galaxy_s8_sony_xperia-review-1611p2.php

Updates put me off and I think Sony has a better Quality assurance towards the build and SW. Coming from a Nexus will be difficult but it's probably only a stopgap until the Pixel 2.

Soldato
OP
That forehead and chin though

I know I thought my 6p was bad! But it will do until something better comes along.

I assume the uk pre orders aren't dual sim. from Amazon etc?

No it is the single sim, dual sim is g8142

Bland? :confused:... I quite like Sony phones. I have the Z5 just now but can upgrade, and will be, in July to this phone... I quite like it especially the lack of bloat compared to the likes of Samsung etc.

These design hasnt changed in like 7 billion years :p I run Moto 4g because of the lack of bloat as well.

Associate
I'm currently using a One+3 which has been great, but still miss my old Z3 dual sim, was the best phone I've had, and still going strong as my wife uses it now.

I really like the design of Sony phones, and couldn't care less above bezel size or head and chin space. Actually wider bezels make the phone easier to hold and not accidentally touch the screen.

Will wait for the One+5 release around the 15th and then decide what to buy.

Associate
Bland? :confused:... I quite like Sony phones. I have the Z5 just now but can upgrade, and will be, in July to this phone... I quite like it especially the lack of bloat compared to the likes of Samsung etc.
indeed xperias usually only come with minimal bloatware

Soldato
Been using this phone for just under a week now, coming from the old HTC one, and having two previous HTC phones and a Samsung, seems i'm back to Sony again, last Sony I owned was the older Sony K800, back in 2005. The XZ premium is a gorgeous looking phone IMO, the screen is simply amazing, battery life is superb, and its responsive and works really well if you have other Sony devices such as a DS4, Bravia TV and a PS4.

Very little bloatware installed, took minutes to remove the few games and unneeded apps, and charges to around 60% very quickly, due to quick charge 3.0

I went for this as the newer HTC models are not doing it for me, the Samsung edge phones I don't like the screen edges, not a huge fan of LG devices but did look at them, Sony XZ Premium just seemed the one to go for, glad I did.

Soldato
Been using this phone for just under a week now, coming from the old HTC one, and having two previous HTC phones and a Samsung, seems i'm back to Sony again, last Sony I owned was the older Sony K800, back in 2005. The XZ premium is a gorgeous looking phone IMO, the screen is simply amazing, battery life is superb, and its responsive and works really well if you have other Sony devices such as a DS4, Bravia TV and a PS4.

Very little bloatware installed, took minutes to remove the few games and unneeded apps, and charges to around 60% very quickly, due to quick charge 3.0

I went for this as the newer HTC models are not doing it for me, the Samsung edge phones I don't like the screen edges, not a huge fan of LG devices but did look at them, Sony XZ Premium just seemed the one to go for, glad I did.

Is it the M7 you had? How do you find the front facing speakers on the XZP compared to it? Currently using the 6P but I find the volume quite low compared to the M7 which was nice and loud. How is the vibration strength as well? The OP2/6P again is pretty weak compared to the M7. Think I loved my M7 too much :p.

Soldato
Picked mine up today, So only had a little play couple hours at most, but i love it, feels really well built it and lack of bloatware is a bonus, people can say is bland and granted Sony have not changed the design much however i quite like the simple design and it feels nice to hold too :)

Soldato
Is it the M7 you had? How do you find the front facing speakers on the XZP compared to it? Currently using the 6P but I find the volume quite low compared to the M7 which was nice and loud. How is the vibration strength as well? The OP2/6P again is pretty weak compared to the M7. Think I loved my M7 too much :p.

It was the HTC one M8 my last phone. The speakers on the M8 were a lot better, but the headphone sound on the Sony is a lot better.. Vibration is good. The Sony XZ Premium is a good phone, every bit as good as the M8 and the camera is amazing. Battery is way above my HTC

Back
Top Bottom