Sounbar advice with Atmos

Associate
Dear members,

I need help please. I need to get a soundbar for my TV as the sound from the LCD is rubbish. I am looking at different types but if I am going to invest I am happy to pay a premium for Atmos.

I visited a reputable sound retailer today to demonstrate the Sony HTST-5000 thinking I would be blown away by the Atmos experience. However I came away really deflated as the sound didn't sound like it was coming behind nor above my head.

I am not sure if they had it setup correctly and the room they had was about 3.5m high - so I cannot say if this was ideal. What they recommended is that I sat on the floor directly in front of the soundbar. At that point, yes I could hear it but surely I don't need to be this close???

Does anyone have experience of Atmos, as I am not blown away by the experience at all...

Many thanks
Paul.

Soldato
You need full of separate speakers to get the atmos and surround sound. Soundbar will use a DSP to create a virtual effect or angle upwards.

So in this regard don't bother if I was you I'd just look for a 2.1soundbar don't bother with gimmicky extras that high end soundbars offer, if you want proper experience get a avr plus speakers.

Also I'd rather have a higher quality lesser number of speakers rather than a cheaper full atmos system.

Associate
OP
You need full of separate speakers to get the atmos and surround sound. Soundbar will use a DSP to create a virtual effect or angle upwards.

So in this regard don't bother if I was you I'd just look for a 2.1soundbar don't bother with gimmicky extras that high end soundbars offer, if you want proper experience get a avr plus speakers.

Also I'd rather have a higher quality lesser number of speakers rather than a cheaper full atmos system.

Thanks Hornetstinger,

So would you suggest something like the Sonos system which could deliver a 5.1.2 setup or something?

Many thanks

Soldato
Sonos is typically expensive. Not sure of price but guesstimate £800? You can get decent 5.1 system for that. Personally stay with 5.1 or 7.1 rather than crap 11 speaker atmos.

Hell even £30 wharedale diamond 9.0 all round would be better. You could reuse them when you upgrade ie for a bedroom or pc system, in caravan, workshop etc.

Something like a Yamaha avr plus q acoustic speakers will offer more power, better sound quality, component quality, upgradability, component failure and replacement changeability, standardised components, and connectivity.

I have a very good 7.1 system, and I would not want a cheaper system that is full atmos. I can add atmos at later date with a soundbar you are stuck with what you have.

A atmos soundbar is about ticking boxes, on paper a BMW and a Yugo both do 100 mph.

But what car would you rather drive at 100mph, the Yugo or BMW?

Soldato
The Samsung N950 soundbar has two rear speakers for surround effects, and upward firing speakers for Atmos. I wouldn’t say it was as good a complete separates system but if space is at a premium then it’s a good compromise. It’s a 7.1.4 speaker set up so can handle Atmos soundtracks without any DSP messing around. I have one myself and don’t complain too much!

Caporegime
The Samsung N950 soundbar has two rear speakers for surround effects, and upward firing speakers for Atmos. I wouldn’t say it was as good a complete separates system but if space is at a premium then it’s a good compromise. It’s a 7.1.4 speaker set up so can handle Atmos soundtracks without any DSP messing around. I have one myself and don’t complain too much!

the samsung soundbar is definetely the one to go for. or the yamaha if you want it all from 1 bar under the tv.

sonos is overpriced IMO and only for people who want sound in several rooms rather than a surround setup in 1 room.

Back
Top Bottom