Sound skipping problem using Dolby Digital Live

Associate
I own the 'Asus P5WD2 Premium Intel 955X (LGA775) PCI-Express Motherboard'. I use the motherboard's on-board sound (Realtek HD Audio) and connect to a Sony A/V receiver using an optical cable.

When I play sound with the 'Dolby Digital Live' button on, it sounds great, but every few seconds, the sound skips. (My A/V receiver then re-scrolls the 'Dolby Digital 3/2.1' message.) It's very annoying when playing MP3's which I often do.

If I turn the Dolby Digital Live feature off, the sound does not skip at all but the quality is just not quite as lively. I am making do with this for now.

Just wondered if anyone has come across this problem before? I have updated the Realtek drivers. Changed sound modes in BIOS between AC97 and HD Audio, etc.

I simply want to be able to have Dolby Digital Live turned on without any skipping!

Associate
OP
So it seems no one has experienced a problem like this then? Nevermind, although I was thinking maybe I could resolve the problem by buying a soundcard with the Dolby Digital Live feature? Would be a shame that I'm not using the convienient on-board sound though. I only use it for playing MP3's/music!

Soldato
its not skipping exactly, its loosing sync by the sounds of it. how is it connected up? if its co-ax and not optical then i can only suggest trying optical if you have the socket for it, or trying a proper 75ohm digital cable.

If found i sometimes get the same problem now i'm using a cheap 10m rca cable from my pc to my av amp. I never used to have the problem when using a shorter lead, but i cant be bothered to replace what im using lol

Associate
OP
Many thanks for your reply. I was using a fibre-optic cable between my PC and the A/V receiver. Have also tried out a digital-coaxial cable but the problem is still there. I've ordered an 'HDA Digital X-Plosion' sound card now so will steer away from on-board sound.

Associate
OP
Hi, you're right... the HDA is great! It was delivered to me earlier this week and has solved my out-of-sync/skipping problem!

I had tried updating the drivers for the on-board Realtek previously with no luck, but for the HDA, i'm just using the drivers that came on CD so far. I should probably check the net for newer ones! I'll do that now. :)

Back
Top Bottom