Soundblaster 16 vs AWE32 vs AWE64 vs SB Live!

Soldato
The Gravis Ultrasound could do General Midi, but games that specifically supported it could sound much better than standard General Midi as the card could load specific intrument samples (patches) tailored to the soundtrack.

Associate
Its the one card I don't own (Gravis Ultrasound). Just far to expensive for its limited support in games. It does sound awesome in the games that support it mind, and was No.1 in the tracker/demo-scene.

Soldato
OP
Its the one card I don't own (Gravis Ultrasound). Just far to expensive for its limited support in games. It does sound awesome in the games that support it mind, and was No.1 in the tracker/demo-scene.
Wasnt the UltraSound the demise of Gravis? (along with the Soundblaster AWE 32 coming to market)

I seem to remember after the failing GUS, Gravis were only known for joysticks & joypads

Associate
It was likely an additional coding exercise to facilitate the cards abilities, which combined with the card being an expensive option (iirc) compared to other soundcards, possibly made it something not worth adding the support for, and without that, the card is on the demise.

Back
Top Bottom