Soundproofing in a rented house?

Permabanned
OP
You won't get ANY sort of sound proofing that would make any difference whatsoever for £200. Look at getting some better headphones.

And I won't get any headphones that would give better reproduction than my speakers for less than a grand. I've recently spent about 100 quid total on DJ and casual headphones, I have to buy a laptop, I was looking to be considerate to my neighbours. I thought egg cartons might be a good idea, obviously not.

Permabanned
OP
Ah sorry Shayper. I didn't mean to get at you tonight.

I respect that you worry about your neighbours.

You do have two ears - no more - so what you hear is what you hear.

No matter how many decks and mixes you have - you are stuck with owning only two ears. A grand set of headphones will cover them.

I know I'm stuck only owning two ears :)

The problem is getting a mix perfect, with beatmatching.

This video should explain it:

Permabanned
If you could work off a heavy rubber stable mat it might limit the amount of bass that gets transferred into the floorboards (and so into next door).

Some heavy quilted curtains bisecting the room may help cut down the sound bouncing off their wall.
Seal up your door with foam strips to stop it leaking into the rest of the house.
Carpet hung on the opposite wall to limit what gets reflected around the room.

This is all going to deaden the response of the room, so it may not sound very live if you know what I mean.

Soldato
And I won't get any headphones that would give better reproduction than my speakers for less than a grand. I've recently spent about 100 quid total on DJ and casual headphones, I have to buy a laptop, I was looking to be considerate to my neighbours. I thought egg cartons might be a good idea, obviously not.

What is your problem? I asked you which headphones would do what you want - you replied with those HDJ2000s thingies would do. They are £200. You cannot soundproof a room for £200. Buy them and get on with it. Stop being obtuse.

Associate

Ahhrgg. Your a spanner Shayper:

Hang on - of you can't afford a decent set of cans how can you possibly afford a full-on soundproofing of your 'studio'?

Nailing egg cartons to the walls won't cut it.

I mentioned egg cartons in jest at the start of this post.

Permabanned
OP
If you could work off a heavy rubber stable mat it might limit the amount of bass that gets transferred into the floorboards (and so into next door).

Some heavy quilted curtains bisecting the room may help cut down the sound bouncing off their wall.
Seal up your door with foam strips to stop it leaking into the rest of the house.
Carpet hung on the opposite wall to limit what gets reflected around the room.

This is all going to deaden the response of the room, so it may not sound very live if you know what I mean.

Thankyou :) bass is the main issue, the music I produce is quite bass heavy so even through monitors there's going to be reverb. So deadening it is what I need. Thanks for your help.

What is your problem? I asked you which headphones would do what you want - you replied with those HDJ2000s thingies would do. They are £200. You cannot soundproof a room for £200. Buy them and get on with it. Stop being obtuse.

I don't have a problem? If you had read my post I said the HDJs still wouldn't be good enough for what I need :)

Ahhrgg. Your a spanner Shayper:

And you still don't understand.

I mean, I even said in that post that I realised egg cartons weren't a good idea?

Permabanned
OP
Neither do I, but you seem quite adamant that there is nothing within your price range. What is your budget (for cans or sound proofing)?

About 50 quid :D

Shayper - your taking rubbish you know?

Ok then, mr professional :)

Watch the video I posted, and read the link that Ray posted (I'll post it here before you get lost looking for it .Here it is :)) and then tell me I'm talking rubbish.

Honestly, some people :D

(Oh, and it's "You're")

Soldato
Kudos for thinking about your neighbours, but fifty quid isn't going to cut it mate, which ever way you look at it :/

I have a set of Sennheiser 580 precisions - a stunning set of cans - I sometimes think they sound as good as my HiFi setup :eek:

Would those HDJ2000s not be any better than the setup you have currently?

Permabanned
OP
Kudos for thinking about your neighbours, but fifty quid isn't going to cut it mate, which ever way you look at it :/

I have a set of Sennheiser 580 precisions - a stunning set of cans - I sometimes think they sound as good as my HiFi setup :eek:

Would those HDJ2000s not be any better than the setup you have currently?

Unfortunately not, as I purposely bought speakers for production purposes, so they have a flat response.

HDJ2000s don't unfortunately. There is also a loss of crosstalk when you use headphones, something I've set these speakers up for. You need crosstalk while producing, as you will get it in a club and need to factor that into the final mixdown.

Associate
About 50 quid :D

Ok then, mr professional :)

Watch the video I posted, and read the link that Ray posted (I'll post it here before you get lost looking for it .Here it is :)) and then tell me I'm talking rubbish.

Honestly, some people :D

(Oh, and it's "You're")

You're right about "You're". Lazy post sorry.

Just ribbing you. You sound like a nice guy. I have no idea about DJing.

I have a bit of a retro synth collection so understand your concern about the neighbours. I can manage with headphones though.

I have no neighbours now so can play as loud as I like - and no I didn't kill them all.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
You're right about "You're". Lazy post sorry.

Just ribbing you. You sound like a nice guy. I have no idea about DJing.

I have a bit of a retro synth collection so understand your concern about the neighbours. I can manage with headphones though.

Haha I'm terrible at character judging though :D

What synths do you have? I love that sort of stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom