Sourdough and starters

Soldato
OP
Yeah only 1kg bags. I ordered a few different types of flour as a tester to see what I like.

I'm impressed with the type 55 so far, it made a lovely baguette.

It's much finer than strong bread flour and as such I should have reduced the amount of water in the recipe as it was far to wet at first.
I added a little more flour and it soon came round.

Not heard of Bacheldre, I'll have a look into them too.

I've made a few loafs with a high ratio mix of rye flour and white flour (50:50) but I found the flavour of rye to strong.

I found 20:80 a nice balance.

Am thinking of making a rye starter also and just adding it to 100% white flour to give it the rye flavour. I'm running out of room the in the fridge though!

Soldato
Problem is that the rye stoneground I have used in a pre-ferment/poolish is so re-active , I think a starter would be DOA despite keeping in the fridge,
also, since the rye maybe less refined, possibility of contamination with other yeasts and death.

Associate
I’ve got a starter that lives in the fridge and gets fed once a week. It just gets white flour.

I mostly bake in my casserole with the lid on which gets preheated and then the proofed dough lowered in.

If I have discard I make something off the King Arthur sourdough starter discard page but I tend to feed it the same amount I'm taking out so there's not often discard unless I've not got round to baking something in the week. The cinnamon bread turned out real good yesterday, it's basically a brioche.

Associate
I got into the whole sourdough thing a while back but got very bored, the whole process compared to just baking regularly leavened loaves is such a ballache!
I much prefer the crumb and texture of regular bread, though sourdough crust is a definite winner.

Soldato
once you have a good work-flow negligible additional effort with sourdough ... just a bit of fridge space.
.. for some of the folks with IBS, or some level of believed(but undiagnosed) wheat intolerance, that can also be down to 'regular' yeast, use, with poor resulting 'digestion'.
That said, use of quality flour, may have a better impact on flavour than sourdough per se .. succumbed to Lidl's 49p bags this morning ... we'll see.

Associate
Okay.. We'll have to disagree on that one!
I have IBS, but luckily no real issue with regular bread or sourdough. Though a friend who has it can't eat bread unless it's sourdough.

Soldato
First loaf didn't work the dough didn't rise.
There was a bit of rise during baking but not much.
Starter is bubbling like crazy.

Associate
How 'wet' was your sourdough starter when you started breeding it? I've used wholemeal spelt flour today as it was the only organic flour I have, and I read that non-organic could inhibit the wild yeasts, but a 50:50 ratio has resulted in a very stiff paste.

Soldato
yes it shouldn't be stodgy, my starters usually more like 25:75 ... like golden syrup viscosity.

if the consistency is stodgy any breathing co2(?) bubbles won't pass through and help yeast propagate/reproduce.

Associate
12 days on, and my sourdough starter isn't getting enough "action". It's gently bubbling and increases in size by 20% after feeding, and that's it. When I forgot to feed it for 3 days it doubled in size. None of this is matching the web pages or the sourdough book I bought. Ideas for how to get it to work?

Soldato
12 days on
this is healthy for me
when I let it out of fridge to use some and feed what remains,
out of fridge in current warmth, you'd expect it to eat all the flour after 2 days, and start to die, separating into an acidic pool on top and stringy/bubbly flour residue beneath, it doesn't ever grow more than 20%
- mine is normally back in the fridge after 12 hours.

never bubbles vigorously ... there are some portraits of mother in earlier posts.

Associate
12 days on, and my sourdough starter isn't getting enough "action". It's gently bubbling and increases in size by 20% after feeding, and that's it. When I forgot to feed it for 3 days it doubled in size. None of this is matching the web pages or the sourdough book I bought. Ideas for how to get it to work?

This happend to me apparently you can over feed them

Associate

How's the starter now? Perhaps I can help you get it active and ready to bake with as I've done for a few mates struggling with theirs during lockdown. I keep mine at 100% hydration, so when I feed it I add the same weight of water and fresh flour and I find that 100% hydration starter makes for easy maths when making your dough too. It's an easy hydration to work with at room temp or refrigerated. I have found the actual flour to have less effect than some claim, so long as it's reasonably fresh but then most flour you can buy in the UK now is going to be pretty fresh given the way shelves were cleared 8 weeks or so ago. Lesser levels of hydration tend to be harder to mix into dough but you can achieve different flavour profiles with dryer starters and if you keep it colder then ascetic fermention becomes favoured over lactic but that's a topic all of it's own.

Associate
Made some of these this morning with discard. They're really nice. I did them with caraway instead

https://littlespoonfarm.com/sourdough-discard-crackers/
Nice, I am always interested in new uses for either discard or excess starter.

I often add some semolina and make these Lebanese pancakes that are very crumpet like, I remove the yeast and adjust the flour and milk to account for that coming from the starter, if you like the idea I can make some in the week and figure out what I've done with the recipe ... https://www.chefrachida.com/moroccan-baghrir-spongy-semolina-pancake/

Man of Honour
Nice, I am always interested in new uses for either discard or excess starter.

I often add some semolina and make these Lebanese pancakes that are very crumpet like, I remove the yeast and adjust the flour and milk to account for that coming from the starter, if you like the idea I can make some in the week and figure out what I've done with the recipe ... https://www.chefrachida.com/moroccan-baghrir-spongy-semolina-pancake/

Ooh, they sound nice, thanks.

I did crumpets last weekend. They were a little dense so need to work on them.

Associate
Ooh, they sound nice, thanks.

I did crumpets last weekend. They were a little dense so need to work on them.

I have found the secret is lower heat than you think, much lower and wait, they'll come good if you'e patient, just like English muffins.

Associate
How's the starter now?
It's no different. This is how it looks: I fed it lunchtime yesterday, it increased by 20% from the green mark on the jar; didn't feed it again today to see what would happen, and this is the state. The top looks bubbly but is a bit crusty, and it's flour and water mix underneath. Smells wonderful though!

169VH0r.jpg

jLxwvtm.jpg

Perhaps I can help you get it active and ready to bake with as I've done for a few mates struggling with theirs during lockdown.
I'd appreciate that, thanks.

I keep mine at 100% hydration, so when I feed it I add the same weight of water and fresh flour and I find that 100% hydration starter makes for easy maths when making your dough too. It's an easy hydration to work with at room temp or refrigerated. I have found the actual flour to have less effect than some claim, so long as it's reasonably fresh but then most flour you can buy in the UK now is going to be pretty fresh given the way shelves were cleared 8 weeks or so ago. Lesser levels of hydration tend to be harder to mix into dough but you can achieve different flavour profiles with dryer starters and if you keep it colder then ascetic fermention becomes favoured over lactic but that's a topic all of it's own.

100% hydration is the approach I've taken. I'm feeding it with filtered water and Lidl plain white flour; keeping it at room temperature in a cool spot out f the sun, though have experimented with putting it in the sunshine to see if that "makes it bubble more".

Associate
Ok, it doesn't look too bad. Take 20 gr and pop it in a new clean jar or say 500ml pyrex jug. add 20 gr water (filtered is good) and 20 gr flour, mix well and pop it somewhere with as even a temp as possible, close to 24 c and leave it for 2 days, do nothing, watch it, that's all. let's talk again on Tuesday with pics too. either cover it with a cloth or loose lid, don't seal it.

It does sound as if you're feeding it too much/often, more of a maintaining type regime rather than establishing it and preparing it for use regime, we'll have it ready to bake with by next weekend.

This is how mine tend to turn out
101038853_672264240284521_8548983960028315648_o.jpg

and this
98033132_664877021023243_155027424369704960_o.jpg

I often keep my starter on the office laptop's dock for bottom heat at about 24-26c, this one was fed about 4 1/2 hours earlier and was almost ready to go,
95965802_656780538499558_7057290184030683136_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom