Spare Pc

Associate
I have a spare Pc I'm using and its basicly bits of my old computer so:

Core duo e7500
gigabyte g33m-s2
ocz 2x 1gb 800 mhz
hd5670

My question is, will a SSD work on this older board? I've got one in my main computer. If I buy 2 more 1gb ram will it still boot up?

Trev

Soldato
First off, I don't have this board but the specs say it supports up to 8GB of ram so additional ram 'should' be fine as long as it's the right type etc. Don't forget memory limitations of x86 windows and amount it can use.

SSD, a sata ssd 'should' also work but you'll be restricted to sata 2 speeds so won't see full transfer rates but should notice a difference in access times etc. I ran one on a s939 board without issue at sata 2 speeds.

Note I say 'should' work in both cases because there can sometimes be complications with older boards etc.

Soldato
ssd will work fine, but you can also buy sata 2 versions if you around, obviously used, mean i could a 30gb one for a tenner on gum right now if i could be bothered, but either way your safe.

whether your board supports 8gb or not you would want atleast 4gb for anything decent to happen even with a 32bit operating system.

Associate
OP
Thanks! i forgot i had a SSD in my laptop i dont use so took that out and got that installed.

I tried adding another 1gb ram but computer didnt like it and kept crashing. does the ram have to be same mhz speed? eg this one was 533 and mine is 800

Soldato
it would be ideal to be the same speed, but it will go at the speed of the slowest in that formation you have, but if its crashing then could be faulty ram? i have had this mix a few times and only real issues has been failed ram sticks,

Back
Top Bottom