1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Gilbretto, 14 Sep 2009.

1. Gilbretto

Hitman

Hello,

I wanna pop down to the local mechanic to get him to change my spark plugs changed. I have bought the spark plugs already so no need to pay for them.

Just want to know how long it takes for a mechanic to change a set of plugs so i don't get ripped off?

Thanks,

Gil.

2. malfunkshun

Soldato

honestly, it is the second simplest spanner job you can do to a car. Do it yourself :)

3. Conscript

Sgarrista

It took me about 15-20 minutes to do mine. And Im just a ham fisted amateur.

4. 998cc

Mobster

Do them yourself!

5. numnutz

Hitman

It's easy enough to do yourself, but an indy mechanic shouldn't charge you a lot really, It's normally a 15minute job but a mechanic will probably want 30mins labour unless you can just tempt him with beer money.

6. Matt82

Capodecina

15 mins. even if they bother to use a torque wrench and do it properly, which they wont

7. Biohazard

PermaBanned

I never bother with a torque wrench for the plugs either.

8. osc89er

Wise Guy

I'm thinking about doing the plugs myself in the near future. What is the correct way to tighten them without a torque wrench? Hand tight, then a quarter/half turn?

9. LizardKing

Sgarrista

Me neither but it is good practise, especially if its a alu head! :)

10. Matt82

Capodecina

alu heads with tapered plugs really dont get done up tight at all, so im not suprised when i see those ford zetec threads with spark plug issues

11. Biohazard

PermaBanned

most cars are alu topped these days, do it by hand till its tight. never had any problems other than clearing out threads on dirty heads.

12. Mark A

Capodecina

Took me about 5-10 mins to do mine on my Focus. You do need a socket set with an extension bar and a sparkplug socket. So probably cheaper to get a mechanic to quickly do it unless you can borrow one.

I was a bit scared that the plugs would be stuck or that i would cross thread but it all went fine and cost me nothing. Just make sure to hand tighten first so that you can feel its not cross threading.

13. Biohazard

PermaBanned

good advice that :)

14. Conscript

Sgarrista

Also, get some copper grease and apply it around the thread of the new plugs. You'll thank your lucky stars you did next time you replace them :)

15. BigglesPiP

Capodecina

Depends on the car, mine or my father's would be about 20 to 30 minutes, as you need to remove the engine cover, and the coil assembly, and there's 8 of them. My brother's or the family abuse machine, 5 to 10 minutes. So what's the car?

16. Zip

Capodecina

It all depends if it has an Intake Manifold going right over a bank of Cylinders that you have to take off before you can get to them, like mine :p

Good designing Toyota :p

17. K.C. Leblanc

Sgarrista

How long would it take on a 1.7 Boxer?

18. Zip

Capodecina

EA-82?

19. K.C. Leblanc

Sgarrista

No, Alfa used to do a 1.7 (and 1.5) boxer engine. Was fitted to the Sud, 33, Arna and some early 145/6s.

20. Skiddley

Mobster

I changed some on a MX5 once. Turned into a nightmare - one had seized in - no copperslip applied on fitting! :(