Speaker Grille Fabric Repair/Re-cover

Associate
Wondering if anyone here has attempted a speaker repair or re-cover of the fabric on a speaker grille?

I recently bought some second hand speakers, in fantastic condition and a great deal to be fair, but unfortunately there was some damage the the box containing the subwoofer (Q Acoustics 2070Si) showing some mishandling. The grille has cracked on one edge and the cloth ripped. The seller is currently trying to claim compensation since he paid for insurance, but I'm not too hopeful.

I'll probably attempt to reinforce the crack and re-cover the grille. Anyone attempted this before? I'd appreciate any hints and tips. The grille frame is moulded plastic and I assume I can just glue some new fabric to it. What sort of glue would be best? I've seen a few different types of fabric on Amazon etc. but unsure what I should go for as it's hard to tell what would match the best.

Cheers for any help,

Associate
As above.

I would try and glue or plastic weld (if the grill is plastic) the frame and then either hot glue or staple the fabric at the rear.

As long as you get the tension fairly even on the fabric then it should look good.

Just my 2p

Jase.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input, both. Not sure about got glue though, I find it goes off pretty quick and strings up and makes a mess, but that may just be user error! Maybe I'll have a practice go on something first.

Associate
OP
This stuff sticks like **** (other/narrower widths available), I use it often for fitted furniture applications ie holding my speakers to base stands.
https://www.toolstation.com/power-grip-tape/p63962

That looks promising. I've wondered about fixing speakers to stands too. What about when you come to remove the speakers? If the tape is that strong, would it damage the cabinet?

I read a lot of people touting blutack as the holy grail, but I can't quite believe it it would be that good.

Associate
OP
This stuff sticks like **** (other/narrower widths available), I use it often for fitted furniture applications ie holding my speakers to base stands.
https://www.toolstation.com/power-grip-tape/p63962

Sounds promising. What about when you want to remove the speakers? If the tape is that strong, would it damage it?

I've always read people touting blutack as the holy grail, but I just can't imagine it being that great... I'd still give it a go though.

Soldato
I've recovered speaker grills. Had a couple of goes as I wasn't happy with the first attempt, so started again.

I think this is the video I watched that gave a few tips for my successful attempt - https://youtu.be/mVe0sjNZXCI?t=856

Remove the original cloth and glue as much as possible. Use a sharp knife to scrape/cut away any blobs of dry glue and cloth if needs be.
I used generic all purpose glue (eg https://www.poundland.co.uk/uhu-multi-purpose-adhesive-60ml), let it dry until it was only slightly tacky, then stuck the cloth one side at a time, letting the first edge dry each time. Once confident, you can probably do the whole lot in one go.

I just used generic cheap ebay cloth and it seemed fine to me. Unless you are trying to match another speaker, I don't think it will matter too much. Unless you have high end speakers, it's probably only cheap cloth that was on originally anyway!

Don't use too much glue as it seeps through. Just a thin layer will go a long way.

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds promising. What about when you want to remove the speakers? If the tape is that strong, would it damage it?

I've always read people touting blutack as the holy grail, but I just can't imagine it being that great... I'd still give it a go though.
I hopefully never need to take my speakers off the (custom low height) stands , I would expect the possibility that the base could tear .

Man of Honour
I bought replacement speaker grilles for my Q Acoustics i7000 speakers. Had to phone them and it was a bit of a faff with having to phone another department to actually deal with payment and shipping.

Associate
OP
Just to say managed to get in touch with Q Acoustics and they were able to send a replacement for around £20 posted, which is pretty reasonable. I think my time, effort and material costs to try and fix it is worth that.

Back
Top Bottom