spec a small office switch upgrade

Associate
We have a small office of 10 PCs and have real world 10mb up and down fibre.

Unfortunately we have a Netgear FS105v2 as a switch and I feel it's the bottleneck.

I think if we had a basic gigabit switch things would improve for minimal investment.

What is the difference between unmanaged and managed (QoS stuff?)

Soldato
You have a 10/100 switch and want a gigabit switch. Literally any currently available gigabit switch will do the job and allow LAN based transfers at gigabit speeds. Personally i’d look at getting something that exceeds your current required port count with a metal enclosure, that said if for example you have a networked printer or other device that’s not going to benefit from a faster connection, you can plug it into the existing switch and that switch to the new one.

The generally accepted advice is that if you have to ask about management, it’s usually a very good indication that you don’t require it.

Soldato
I'd be looking at investing for the future, get a Ubiquiti switch now and start adding to it when/if you expand, it'll run without you needing to configure it with your current setup and allow for changes later down the line.

Soldato
No point 'investing for the future'.

Unmanaged Gigabit switches are so cheap that they're not worth worrying about, especially if they only need 5/8 ports.

Soldato
I'd be looking at investing for the future, get a Ubiquiti switch now and start adding to it when/if you expand, it'll run without you needing to configure it with your current setup and allow for changes later down the line.

What future are you ‘investing’ in? A Ubiquiti switch will to all intents and purposes perform near enough identically to any other gigabit switch like for like, but you pay over the odds for management features that won’t be used from what the op’s Said and it will need patching/updating while giving zero benefit in this scenario. Given they’ve lasted this long with a 10/100 switch and no need for management, that doesn’t sound like a good investment. By the time the usage scenario changes, so will the price point and likely the technology.

Associate
I'd just go for a Netgear GS116. I've used several in the past and only stopped when I went the Ubiquiti route, this was in a home environment and I only changed, firstly because I'd run out of spare ports, secondly as a learning project, and also because I wanted PoE and having multiple PoE injectors was a bit of a pain.

I've still got a couple of the Netgear switches should something fail, whilst unmanaged, they do gigabit and they are simple enough to switch back to, can also be found for a decent price on eBay. Given your requirements I'd consider how many ports you need, double the current requirement to allow for future expansion. One final thing which changes my suggestion completely and pushes the pricing up a fair bit, is would you need to introduce PoE for phones and an AP to the business as it certainly keeps things tidier and simpler?

Back
Top Bottom