Spec an Urban run around for £800

Associate
BUDGET £800 yes £800 or less.
NEEDS for urban driving only school runs etc so looking for best MPG I can get petrol or diesel and 4 doors

Currently considering a Renault Megane Dynamique

Soldato
The least haggard thing you can find, forget thinking about makes/models at the absolute bottom end of the market. Find something as simple as possible i.e. a simple small petrol and one that looks tidy and has been looked after.

Soldato
Normally old Volvos are one of the safer bets, but you won't get great MPG from them around town.

But then you will probably save money on repairs compared to a beat up Renault.

Soldato
MPG is a pretty pointless consideration if you're doing barely any miles.

You'll save way more money going for something somewhat reliable than you will at the pump.

I'd look at a late-gen mk1 Focus or similar. Be picky, there're loads even at that price

Soldato
Something known to be fairly sturdy - Fiesta, Focus, Yaris. Maybe even a Kia or Hyundai of some sort. If you buy an £800 French car, you're in for a bad time.

Mind you if you buy any French car you're in for a bad time, but that's just my opinion ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
The least haggard thing you can find, forget thinking about makes/models at the absolute bottom end of the market. Find something as simple as possible i.e. a simple small petrol and one that looks tidy and has been looked after.

At this end of the market as said above you want the thing with the least breakable parts as possible.

If it has a/c, parking sensors, electric sunroof/windows, heated sets etc. expect most of it not to be working.

As mentioned a small petrol fiesta/focus should be good as 2nd hand parts are cheap should anything require replacing.

Soldato
Normally old Volvos are one of the safer bets, but you won't get great MPG from them around town.

Rubbish suggestion for town/urban imo. Pricey parts and Pricey repairs unless you go really old

Then there's the fact they turn like boats

Loved my v70 se as a cruiser and yea the engine will probably keep going longer than me but was glad to get rid last week now my commute is short and I was fed up with fixing it and putting petrol in it

Focus/fiesta/yaris/fabia etc will all do a decent job and be much cheaper to repair and maintain

Last edited:
Caporegime

Old usually equals expense, simply by definition that it's old and worn.

I've just bought a 1999 Volvo V70 2.5tdi, it's great on fuel for what it is (40+ mpg thus far!) but, since I've bought it it's needed a new battery, alternator, two tyres and last week developed a fuel leak after a return pipe snapped off the fuel filter, all are typical wear and tear items but very quickly my cheap £650 V70 has cost quite a bit more.

I'm not bothered mind you, I bought it specifically for towing a large caravan (which it excelled at last weekend) and for carting my two German Shepherds around in comfort (for them) at this budget I'd assume the OP is a bit strapped for cash and therefore I'd advise to buy as late and unfashionable as possible rather than going for an old but supposedly reliable make...

I bought mine cheap expecting to pay out more on it in repairs getting it right, I dare say the OP doesn't want to be in this situation....

He should buy my Corsa DTi which the Volvo replaced - shame he's miles away!

Last edited:
Soldato
If your going for a small car dont make the mistake of buying a small, 3 door car like a yaris and thinking you can park in tight spaces, you can do it but have fun getting out of the car afterwards.

Soldato
Our 2006 Megane has been almost flawless the last two years we've owned it, a couple of small niggles sorted for circa £100 each and routine servicing.

I get that they get a bad rep, like the Skoda's of old, but they can represent superb value for money. And the 1.6 petrol in mine gets 40mpg on a run, 30mpg round town. Don't dismiss them on brand alone.

Soldato
£800 french diesel runabout car is asking for a trouble.

you wont get good mpg regardless if its petrol or diesel. it'll take at least 8 miles to warm up properly to achieve optimized mpg

for £800. i'd have the focus 1.6 cos i used to have one till i sold it for £1,000. nothing wrong with the focus i just wanted a newer car. i would have had the focus for another 5 years easily.

Back
Top Bottom