1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spec check £800 i5 system.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by roid, 12 Oct 2009.

1. roid

Wise Guy

Hi guys, it's that time where I feel the need to update my rig and pass my current machine on to the jobless noob that is my brother ;]

I'll be mainly using it for gaming at 1920 x 1200, encoding the odd DVD but not so much as I'm willing to spend the extra for the hyper threading goodness of an I7.

I'll probably have a dabble at trying to get it to 4 Ghz too.

How does the following look?

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. Franksi

Gangster

Overall looks pretty good. If you are going with the Antec 300 i might suggest switching to the modular HX650 PSU to keep your cables manageable.... up to you if you think its worth the extra 20 quid?

I'd swap your fans for Akasa Apaches though

Last edited: 12 Oct 2009
  3. kcer

Gangster

Looks good, but from a gaming standpoint you should theoretically benefit more from single or dual platter drive. If I recall the 1TB CB has 3.

Consider the 640 version or move to a 500 Spinpoint.

I mean, it's not something you're likely to notice anyway, but there you go.

4. roid

Wise Guy

Cheers guys, meant to go for the modular power supply, must have clicked the wrong one ;]

Do you think the apache fans are worth £8 more each?

5. kcer

Gangster

Personally, no.

6. Franksi

Gangster

i have only heard good things about them - depends how highly you value quiet fans?

7. karl01

Gangster

8. roid

Wise Guy

I've always thought it was a bit weird getting your computer to overclock itself, much prefer messing about with the settings myself :p

Any reasoning behind getting that RAM? Ripjaw seems to be flavour of the month recently.