Spec check please

Associate
Hopefully pulling the trigger tomorrow morning when the sales start :cool:
If you look at my signature you can see this upgrade is long overdue, built this rig back in 2006 :rolleyes:

WC Loop

PC

Total: £1,747.83
(includes shipping: £23.10)

I am aware that the 2 radiators won't fit in the case - that's not the plan :D
Unfortunately the pump/res combo won't be in stock for a week hence the cheapo air cooler to tide me over - I think I'd go mad staring at my new rig for a week unable to power it up!

I'm not sure about the PSU, is EVGA a decent brand and is 750w enough for this rig? I'm going to overclock the CPU and I may upgrade to something equivalent to a 980Ti in a year or two so ideally I'd like some spare capacity.

I'm completely new to watercooling but I think I've got everything needed for a CPU only (for now) loop.

Apart from the above are there any issues that stand out or cheap improvements?

edit: Forgot to mention the above might change slightly depending on tomorrows offers :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Will need some fan splitter cables or a fan controller for all the fans although would get some SP ones that will be better for the radiators.

If it's purely for gaming then spending £215 just on RAM and £205 (tomorrow price of GPU) seems a little silly to me! Especially when compared back to DDR3 which can be had @ 8GB for £35 ha!

Unless you want the light in the res I wouldn't bother and get a bitspower and separate pump to save money and allow to mount the res better (depending on how you've planned your loop).

Rest looks OK, as long as you have enough fittings, would probably get some rotaries or angled fittings to make the loop easier to create and look out for a CPU/Mobo bundle to save some money there as well.

Wouldn't bother with a in-line sensor, just adds wire clutter and doesn't tell you much IMO again. Where will the second radiator be going? 750W is more than ample, 550w would be fine and yes, EVGA are good.

Black Nickel fittings don't look as good as the black chrome either.

I'd get a GPU block now if you're planning it as 420mm rad is overkill for a single CPU and it means taking the whole thing apart when you want to add the GPU in the future.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback :)

The fans have a high static pressure rating if that's what you mean? 3.12 mm H2O

The 2 radiators, 6 fans and the pump/res will be going in an external cooling unit. There's not a lot of room to spare for a seperate pump and res without blocking airflow.

I'll be making the power/signal splitter myself to power the fans and pump from a single cable going to the PC. It will also carry PWM and tach signals so I can vary the fan speed based on temp.

The PC isn't just for games, I do have a use for >16GB of RAM. I only care about exterior looks, the black nickel could be lime green with pink polka-dots and I'd be OK with it :)

I mainly wanted the temp sensor for the T fitting that came with it, couldn't find a separate one earlier but that's sorted now. Hate the new site layout :mad:

OCUK only seem to stock water blocks for 290s not 390s, unless these are compatible with both? It's not mentioned. How do I know if my card is even a stock layout one? I can live with tearing down the loop, I've made provisions for draining it.

edit: I also have a week to play with the loop layout and order anything I missed before I can put it together.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom