Spec Check Please

Associate
Finally talked the boss into getting rid of his rubbish old i5 mac mini and get something a little more suitable. He wants something small and quick how does the spec below look? Any glaringly obvious mistakes? Is that low profile cooler enough for a 8700k? Anyone with experience of that case?

Any advice or opinions appreciated!

Afk0BEH.jpg

Soldato
@Bones
used the board- does well and hit 5.2ghz with that board... issue is the cooling of the CHIP!

450b0Wn.jpg

might want to think about the 8700 Non K !

is it going to be used for gaming or work? and if work what programs

if gaming- cheaper and far more powerful GPU, ryzen 1700 with AIO should hit 3.9ghz all cores 16 threads :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,190.47 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey, thanks for the reply. It will be used for work, VMware/Vsphere, remote sessions, Adobe applications, general stuff.

The case is very small so not really looking for crazy overclocks, although nice to know its possible.

Soldato
Hey, thanks for the reply. It will be used for work, VMware/Vsphere, remote sessions, Adobe applications, general stuff.

The case is very small so not really looking for crazy overclocks, although nice to know its possible.

yeah gtx 1070ti or even 1060 would be overkill- 1050 could be used . ryzen 1700 would give you 2 extra cores and 4 threads for VM but adobe does like intel, 8700 non K still runs at 4.3ghz all cores so is handy but costs have risen over £100 last 4 weeks ...

Associate
OP
Yeh think i'll stick with the intel, just concerned about thermals in that tiny case. The non K version is a great shout actually although when I finally inherit the computer I'll probably be gutted I didn't get the K :p

Soldato
Yeh think i'll stick with the intel, just concerned about thermals in that tiny case. The non K version is a great shout actually although when I finally inherit the computer I'll probably be gutted I didn't get the K :p

You could cool the 8700k.... But would.cost as custom loop with one of the best performing slim rads with expensive fans you can run at 80% all the time, 100% if needs to and still quiet

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £139.82 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

Back
Top Bottom