Spec me: £6-9k, practical(ish), fun(ish), low use

Associate
I think I'm probably going to sell my M235i that has been mostly sitting on my drive since mid-2019 after I changed jobs/commute method. I have a modest bank loan against it that I want to be rid of and it just sitting there depreciating seems such a waste.

I don't want to be without a car though so am looking to replace it without damaging my bank account too much:
  • £6-9k
  • No diesels
  • Relatively pokey and fun to drive - doesn't need to be 300bhp+ as long as it's not horribly slow
  • Fairly practical: Seats don't really matter as 99% of the time I only have 1 passenger. It ideally needs to be able to carry a car load of fishing gear. The M235i manages this well enough. That being said I rarely go nowadays and may yet convince the missus to let me use her car so this requirement is flexible.
  • It'll only do 1-3k miles a year
  • Nothing too old, preferably 2010+, must have climate control + bluetooth.
  • Don't care about fuel economy but other costs should be reasonable.
  • Don't really want any kind of older 'premium' german exec car as would rather not deal with the bills they like to throw up.
I've had a brief look and so far the only cars that seem to check all/most of the boxes are things like: Fiesta ST (possibly too small), one of the higher powered Focus models (or maybe an earlier ST), Golf of some description, possibly a GTI if in budget, Alfa Giulietta (have a softspot for Alfa) or possibly a Leon FR/Volvo v40 T3.

Any suggestions welcome!

Caporegime
No telescopic rods here unfortunately! I think if I was going to go down the out and out sports car route I'd go for a 987 Boxster (or same generation Cayman).

Fair enough, having done a lot of fishing id never want to take my sporty pride and joy. Better off with a 400 quid almera for that tbh.

Local fishing tackle shop owner had a b4 legacy lol.

Soldato
I think I'm probably going to sell my M235i that has been mostly sitting on my drive since mid-2019 after I changed jobs/commute method. I have a modest bank loan against it that I want to be rid of and it just sitting there depreciating seems such a waste.

I don't want to be without a car though so am looking to replace it without damaging my bank account too much:
  • £6-9k
  • No diesels
  • Relatively pokey and fun to drive - doesn't need to be 300bhp+ as long as it's not horribly slow
  • Fairly practical: Seats don't really matter as 99% of the time I only have 1 passenger. It ideally needs to be able to carry a car load of fishing gear. The M235i manages this well enough. That being said I rarely go nowadays and may yet convince the missus to let me use her car so this requirement is flexible.
  • It'll only do 1-3k miles a year
  • Nothing too old, preferably 2010+, must have climate control + bluetooth.
  • Don't care about fuel economy but other costs should be reasonable.
  • Don't really want any kind of older 'premium' german exec car as would rather not deal with the bills they like to throw up.
I've had a brief look and so far the only cars that seem to check all/most of the boxes are things like: Fiesta ST (possibly too small), one of the higher powered Focus models (or maybe an earlier ST), Golf of some description, possibly a GTI if in budget, Alfa Giulietta (have a softspot for Alfa) or possibly a Leon FR/Volvo v40 T3.

Any suggestions welcome!
If you don't buy it I might as its up the road from me.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202008313124607

Associate
Out with the standard response of MX5 again as the word fun was used.

Boot on the ND aint bad, you might get a rod in there but if not, roof doon you can carry one no prob.
ND is almost in your price range.

Associate
OP
What about a GT86 or a 350Z?

I like them both but space wise could be a problem.

If you don't buy it I might as its up the road from me.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202008313124607

I was looking at that earlier! A bit over budget but the earlier gen (pre facelift I guess?) is well in budget with the same engine. I'm not in a rush so will keep an eye on the market over the next few months, might find a good deal.

Currently leaning towards one of these for some reason. They didn't seem to review amazingly well but I do really like them and have always wanted to own an Alfa.

Scirocco R, Fiesta or Focus ST, Leon FR.

All of these on my radar for sure, will try to drive at least a couple of them, especially interested in the Fiesta as I could get a relatively new one in budget.

350z convertible or MX5. You can have rods slightly less tall than bridges:cool:

:cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom