Spec me: £6-9k, practical(ish), fun(ish), low use

Soldato
I like them both but space wise could be a problem.

I was looking at that earlier! Currently leaning towards one of these. They didn't seem to review amazingly well but I do really like them and have always wanted to own an Alfa.

All of these on my radar for sure, will try to drive at least a couple of them.
Have you driven a Giulietta? I hired one in Sardinia a couple of years back (a diesel for gods sake!) and totally fell in love with it. With THAT engine, come on!

Associate
For reliability reasons or you just don't like them? Reliability is the only thing slightly putting me off.
Both.
I knew several owners one of which had 2 models of the same care with the selespeed box, bought it - had it 3 days ... developed a fault, back to garage. New box (or whatever) went in, two weeks later same thing. So he demanded an new car, got another and... yep within a month it was also doing the same thing. Also knew a few others who all had some sort of drama... some not so serious and some terrible. Also watch out for magazine articles on there fleets there staff drive, almost always you see an alfa in there and its electrics **** up or something needing a garage.

Also, a brand that for many years put its mark down on the side of "Drivers cars" but had FWD only models???? er total BS.

Yup i dont like em, i dont like Audis either or most french cars.

Soldato
Both.
I knew several owners one of which had 2 models of the same care with the selespeed box, bought it - had it 3 days ... developed a fault, back to garage. New box (or whatever) went in, two weeks later same thing. So he demanded an new car, got another and... yep within a month it was also doing the same thing. Also knew a few others who all had some sort of drama... some not so serious and some terrible. Also watch out for magazine articles on there fleets there staff drive, almost always you see an alfa in there and its electrics **** up or something needing a garage.

Also, a brand that for many years put its mark down on the side of "Drivers cars" but had FWD only models???? er total BS.

For a long time Alfas were basically re-badged Fiats. The current ones are much better.

Soldato
My focus ST estate is probably the best car I e owned so far for a balance of practicality, bit of power and general reliability - early ones are under £10k now, just check the rear arches for emerging rust (ask me how I know).

Mine has lost very little money in the 3.5 years I've owned it too, which is nice

Although in practice any focus sized hatch will do, go out and sit in / drive a few of them and see what you think

Associate
OP
Have you driven a Giulietta? I hired one in Sardinia a couple of years back (a diesel for gods sake!) and totally fell in love with it. With THAT engine, come on!

Nope, will be looking to do so though.

Both.

Fair enough, points taken on board. I have heard that the new(er) models don't suffer too much from reliability issues.

That seems like a truly crap way to spend 10 grand. :p

Spec me a better one then! :p. All suggestions welcome because most of my requirements are flexible.

My focus ST estate is probably the best car I e owned so far for a balance of practicality, bit of power and general reliability - early ones are under £10k now, just check the rear arches for emerging rust (ask me how I know).

Mine has lost very little money in the 3.5 years I've owned it too, which is nice

Although in practice any focus sized hatch will do, go out and sit in / drive a few of them and see what you think

Focus ST I'm considering for sure, almost bought the older one ~8 years ago actually.

Associate
How long are your sticks? I can go measure my ND and see if they will fit in the boot.
However i have seen a lot of folk obviously out fishing with them as they have the rods just sitting on the passenger seat with the roof down.

Depends entirely how much fun you want.
GT86 and Mx5 have compromises, the 86 has an engine that could do with an inhaler and the mx5 has tight dimensions. If either of those dont worry you then you will not find more fun for decent money and that includes any hot hatch.

Permabanned
I’d throw the Polo Gti into the mix as it seems to have been missed. Maybe not quite as fun as a Fiesta St but a bit more refined and grown up for sure. The interior is much nicer imo although I maybe a tad biased as I’ve just done a deal on one :D.

Back
Top Bottom