1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPec me £800-£100 + im new.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Trezo, 7 Oct 2009.

1. Trezo

Associate

Hi this will be my first self build and as a result i have no clue what to buy and what is a reasonable price, im looking to build a machine that has a faster processor to render hd capture cards from sony vegas and basically the whole tower and all its components my budget is between £800 and £1000 for the tower and all comonents incluiding vat. Also any tips for a first timer would be greatly appreciated.

Just to outline what i will be using the tower for:
    Running two 22" full hd screens.
    Processing and editing Hd game movies.
    Gaming in general.
    Writing basic programmes to get me through my Computing course.
    Also any tools or antistatic mats i might need please tell/me add to price; ive manged to make a mate agree to help me build it so i can easy myself in slowly :).

Thanks for your help any other questions just shoot, im planning to order in the next week or so.

2. 95thrifles

Perma Banned

Hi and welcome

You might find reading this thread helpful, and to answer your specific query on spec me look at the £1000 intel build in the second section, good luck

3. Trezo

Associate

Ah thanks very much Im reading it now its very helpful :)

4. Stormar

Hitman

yer plus i think at the time the 5850 was not out so you could use that instead of the gtx285 now if you like ati more.

5. Trezo

Associate

THats a very good sticky helped me a lot, does anyone have any specs for me?
    Also apart from the obvious faster storage and access of solid state is there any other advantage or is it just future proofing?

6. Stormar

Hitman

what was wrong with the spec that 95thrifles gave in his thread?its a good setup with what he has put in there,if there is soemthing you don,t like just swop it out for something eles,as for the ssd what more could you want it to do other than what you have said yourself :)

7. Trezo

Associate

Oh i didnt see the reccomenede set ups lol, onyl read the main body of text; All i need to add is a tv and wireless card thanks.

8. Trezo

Associate

Heres the few additions/ changes ive made is this all combatible?[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

9. Stormar

Hitman

looks fine to me but the tool kit not really worth the money,but thats up to you :)

10. Trezo

Associate

Ok ill take that out then, also do i need an anti static mat or will the static bags be fine?

11. Stormar

Hitman

you be fine don,t need static mat,just make sure you touch your case when fitting it our touch your raidator just to remove the static ;)

12. Trezo

Associate

DOes anyone else have any specs that are someone different to the one i posted?

13. cmndr_andi

Capodecina

The spec you have there looks great, but there are a couple of optimisations I would suggest:

The RAM you picked is very good, but unfortunately it is out of stock. If you want something that is in stock now, this would be my suggestion.

Again, the motherboard you picked is good, but out of stock. If you want something in stock, this board is a bit cheaper and actually rather nice.

The WD hard disk is great (I have two :)) but this comes out better in tests and is cheaper.

The GTX 285 is a good card, but with the new HD 5850s being cheaper and faster, they are hard to justify. This is my recommendation.

I would suggest going for this PSU, it should handle two 5850s and is modular, and newer and more efficient than the TX 750w.

The case is ofcourse a very personal choice, but I would suggest going for this one instead and upgrade the CPU cooler to this monster.

The only tool you will need is a decent screwdriver and a radiator to touch ever now and then.

14. Trezo

Associate

Thanks very much for that spec ill look in to the changes any one else got any ideas shoot at me.

15. Trezo

Associate

would the cooler be hard to fit bearing in mind this is my first self build allthough i will have some help.

16. Trezo

Associate

17. cmndr_andi

Capodecina

18. Trezo

Associate

Ill look that up now ill just post a picture of the new idea with your changes implemented.

19. Trezo

Associate

[​IMG]

SPec v3

20. Trezo

Associate

THanks for everyones help, now to find a couple of screens; also are the tv cards any decent? I allready have freeview so wouldthere be a need for a tv carD?