1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spec me a better Hd than a Maxtor 7V250F0

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by Clark the White, 30 May 2010.

1. Clark the White

Gangster

Hi folks, as per title,

I have a Maxtor 7V250F0 (250gig) which totally died on me and I need to replace it, I don't know much about Hard drives - been out of the loop for a while, but I don't want to go solid state or raid, but I would like to replace it with one of the best sata drives (speed and reliability) on OcUK. no solid state as my rig is a ancient p.o.s (socket 939) and i will save the ssd for when I fully upgrade in six months or so then use the sata as a secondary.

my uses are gaming so performance is tops for me.

I don't want anything smaller, bigger is fine, but one thing I wasn't sure of is do bigger drives have slower read/write/seek times? if so I would rather have a few hundred gig one than a slower terrabyte one (which I will never fully fill anyway)

thanks for your help/suggestions as always :)

2. Clark the White

Gangster

3. cmndr_andi

Capodecina

How much are you looking to spend?

This one would be my first recommendation (it uses a single 500GB platter). Its nice and fast, plus its bigger than your old one. Here is a review.

4. Clark the White

Gangster

thanks a lot. this is exactly the kind of recommendation I need. I will get that one unless you have anything else faster to recommend - I'm looking to spend a max of £100 but ideally no more than £60

5. no idea what

Capodecina

6. AbsenceJam

Mobster

That's the fastest you'll get, unless you go for two or an SSD.

7. Alex h

Soldato

samsung f3

8. Yakyb

Gangster

Sammy 1tb f3

or you could go with the highly regarded WD 640

anyway you look at it any 320GB or greater drive will be quicker than your old one