Spec me a car!

Man of Honour

GT3

GT3

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Look at those two cars. I know its what the market dictates but honestly, what on earth are you getting for DOUBLE the price if you buy the £10k one?

'Cos it sure aint twice the car is it. There is one sensible buy there and one rip off, up to you which is which ;)

Yes but if they both hold their value then it doesn't really matter does it. Admittedly though a facelift 320d would probably be a better choice.

Man of Honour
GT3 said:
Yes but if they both hold their value then it doesn't really matter does it. Admittedly though a facelift 320d would probably be a better choice.

The frankly retarded prices for the Anniversary Golfs cannot last for ever and sooner or later people will realise it's simply a posh bodykit for double the money and they'll collapse.

The 100k'er looks like a decent buy for the money, the £10k'er is a ripoff :)

GT3

GT3

Soldato
OP
I thought a low depreciating, diesel, 02 onwards car wasn't possible for £5k though? :p

Might go have a look at it tomorrow. Silver, bit bland but a safe choice and can't really be picky!

Man of Honour
GT3 said:
I thought a low depreciating, diesel, 02 onwards car wasn't possible for £5k though? :p

It isnt low depreciating, the further it goes over 100k the more of a pain it'll be to sell and the lower the price will be :) One of the best bets, though.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
[TW]Fox said:
Look at those two cars. I know its what the market dictates but honestly, what on earth are you getting for DOUBLE the price if you buy the £10k one?

'Cos it sure aint twice the car is it. There is one sensible buy there and one rip off, up to you which is which ;)

You focus too much on purchase price, the second will hold its value just as well and be easier to sell come change time. Total cost of ownership will be roughly the same, if anything less with the second one.

The fact that GT3 needs a loan to get the second one would put me off completely, but if it were ME id get the £10k one as it would give me an easier time. (Although £10k is overpriced, it should be cheaper, but the point stands)

Man of Honour
Jez said:
You focus too much on purchase price, the second will hold its value just as well and be easier to sell come change time.

The market is not awash with people who wish to spend £10k on a 5 year old discontinued shape diesel Golf. Easier to sell? It'll be a pain to sell and becuase it's priced higher its got further to fall in terms of depreciation.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
[TW]Fox said:
The market is not awash with people who wish to spend £10k on a 5 year old discontinued shape diesel Golf. Easier to sell? It'll be a pain to sell and becuase it's priced higher its got further to fall in terms of depreciation.

I dont know the market for them really, but the 100k one will be hard to sell too due to the general publics OMG100K obsession. Id fancy selling a 55k car as being a lot easier than a 100k+ one.....the issue with the more expensive one is the price and private sale thing, people with money want guarantees. I found this out the hard way when i had lots of test pilots and dead leads and moaners when i was selling the last BMW :(

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
TBH GT3 what you are looking to do is going to be rather difficuilt. If it were me i would be checking out the BCA schedules and looking for a 5-series or something. If you can get that loan you are open to a very nice facelift SE model for not that much more than that miley golf (somewhere about half way between those two models), you can then do your 10k and with any luck it will still be worth what you paid for it.

Can do this with any model of car which you feel you can get a bargain on, just that being into BMW's myself ive noticed that SE E39's go for a lot less through auction than they seem to be advertised privately for.

Go to a couple and have a watch to get a feel. I honestly dont think you are going to ba able to do what you are after if buying at top autotrader money.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Goodwin said:
Thought about leasing?

He wants a car he can buy and then sell without losing much at all on depreciaton. So I doubt he's going to want to lease anything, sinking money in to get nothing at the end.

Leasing can work out cheaper than buying if you're self employed, with the tax benefits etc you can effectively beat the depreciation. But you still lose money, just not as much as if you'd bought the car :)

Soldato
I had the same idea about chopping the Alfa in.

I do 30k per year and wondered how best to retain value in a car when you are doing the miles I do.

Bearing in mind I own the Alfa outright and I paid a fraction of it's actual value I was after a route to keeping me in a decent car for minimal depreciation. As usual though I never came out with a conclusive route and so am keeping the Alfa for now. I may just run it into the ground or change my mind further down the track!

Caporegime
As much as I hate Rovers, how about an MG ZT Diesel?

It has the 136BHP engine from the 320d - it harks back to the days BMW & Rover were under the same ownership and is probably the only good thing to come of that partnership.

A Surprisingly good reliability record (according to the guide I'm looking at here)
And plenty about for £5k!

Back
Top Bottom