Spec me a CCTV System

Permabanned
I tried the Reolink Argus 2 (the newest) and like many others in the Amazon comments found it iffy and I had to jump up and down to get it to to trigger and only saved small trigger clips not 24/7+Triggered.

Soldato
I tried the Reolink Argus 2 (the newest) and like many others in the Amazon comments found it iffy and I had to jump up and down to get it to to trigger and only saved small trigger clips not 24/7+Triggered.

Unfortunately, these things do need configuration. You can adjust the sensitivity and size of the detected target. What you won't get is true smart motion detection with human/vehicle targets and face tracking etc.- you'll need an AI camera for that and despite what Reolink claim, theirs isn't that smart/intelligent. As regards to not recording 24/7 I can only assume you either didn't configure the NVR correctly or you didn't get an NVR? They supply them switched to clips because 24/7 trashes the battery life but they will do it.

Permabanned
I think you are overthinking this, it is a standalone plug and play unit and every other cheap one like YI/Kami work as intended all of which inc the Reolink record to a SD card.

There is not much to configure and if there was I did so and it even took many attempts to scan its own barcode for set up (I am not along in this) and there was not sticker over the lens at time of setup.

IMO they are not very good and would not touch again, I now have a mix of Google Hello doorbell + Kami cameras.

Reolink Outdoor Solar Security Camera Wireless: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Permabanned
I can assure you as someone who tried it and is not exactly a non tech person, it does not work properly no matter what.

It basically is plug and play once scanned into mobile app, again I actually tried one.

Soldato
I can assure you as someone who tried it and is not exactly a non tech person, it does not work properly no matter what.

It basically is plug and play once scanned into mobile app, again I actually tried one.

Yes. I have the entire range on the bench in front of me including the PTZ and the solar panel. I’m evaluating adding Reolink to the product range we offer (eg. Dahua, Axis, Verkada) and you get what you pay for. These are relatively CHEAP cameras. But the app has a WIDE variety of settings and motion detection works just fine.

Permabanned
Again it did not even want to detect the barcode to set up same as others found so either there was a bad batch at that time or they are poor quality.

The settings have no impact on detecting something at set up or after set up with someone 6 foot a few feet away jumping and waving arms.

I did not even bother setting up the Solar Panel due to above but in my reading it barely works even in direct sunlight (mines would have been at rear so not as sunny).

Also the inability to record 24/7 due to it being battery powered (I assume) even when connected to Solar panel was not ideal, I did know this beforehand but was told by them it "may" be added by later FW.

Either way I did not rate it so returned and go something else and I am not sure why you are so defensive in something as you said it is a cheap camera.

I am not going to say anymore on the matter but you can go and spend some time on Amazon and comment to each person with same experience (there are a lot) and I nearly forgot about the weak signal warnings even in same room as router after set up till I read just now.

Soldato
I pretty much stopped reading the reviews on Amazon - most of them are invented anyway. Even the ones that are confirmed purchase can be orchestrated campaigns because, as you did, you can send something back for a refund.

On the Argus 2 “bullet” that I have here I can get it from so sensitive it alerts constantly to it literally never alerts. And there are motion detection zones and there are time slots for sensitivity too. I doubt very much that you ever adjusted this. If you had, I suspect you’d have complained far more about over-sensitivity than under-sensitivity. The solar panel can be literally positioned anywhere if you use the optional 15’ extension cables. Sadly, all too often customers look at the blurb on a website and believe it. And most of it is advertising ‘truth’ so it’s kind of true, but probably not the way you’d think. And people feel disappointed, as you do, that this supposedly epic surveillance camera and alarm isn’t quite as good as their expectations.

And I’m defending the product because I’ve actually tested it and when the question was asked, I recommended it based on that testing. If I didn’t stand by my recommendation then what sort of credible reference would I be? And yes, they are cheap. There isn’t actually an equivalent Dahua camera (the cheapest brand we sell) but the cheapest truly wireless WiFi/4G camera (no power cables) we sell is £450+VAT for the camera and £1600+VAT for the PoE solar panel. And it’s only a 2MP camera. So you’ll see why I’m prepared to make fairly hefty allowances for the fact that an Argus 2 is £110 including the solar panel.

https://www.cop-eu.com/ip-cameras-nvrs/ip-cameras/IPC-HFW4230M-4G-AS-I2-360

https://www.cop-eu.com/ip-cameras-nvrs/ip-cameras/PFM363L-D1

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Guys can you check this out please?

I want to use my 2 spare cameras in one of my properties which is currently vacant, no phone or broadband connection.

The plan - the 2 spare cameras are Reolink RCL-520, so I can insert some SD cards for motion recording and plug them straight into a router to access on my phone... I hope.

Is this all I need:

2 x 64g Sandisk Micro SD cards and 2 x Cat5 cables

A router with multiple ethernet ports and either a USB port for a USB modem or sim card slot. Most sim card compatible routers either have minimal ethernet ports or are quite expensive.

So this:
hM2m0STl.jpg

with a USB modem to put a SIM in
0Mi7f5Sm.jpg

and then a SIM, this is the cheapest plan I can find including tethering.
hSUBep9m.jpg

Edit, I've found this, will this prevent me from accessing the cameras?

The one downside of using SMARTY for 4G home broadband is the lack of a publicly-accessible IP address. This is because SMARTY uses CGNAT technology, assigning you an IP address that’s unable to accept incoming connections. This won’t make any difference for most online activities, but it can stop you from doing things like running a server, using certain P2P apps or playing some online games.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys can you check this out please?

I want to use my 2 spare cameras in one of my properties which is currently vacant, no phone or broadband connection.

The plan - the 2 spare cameras are Reolink RCL-520, so I can insert some SD cards for motion recording and plug them straight into a router to access on my phone... I hope.

Is this all I need:

2 x 64g Sandisk Micro SD cards and 2 x Cat5 cables

A router with multiple ethernet ports and either a USB port for a USB modem or sim card slot. Most sim card compatible routers either have minimal ethernet ports or are quite expensive.

So this:
hM2m0STl.jpg

with a USB modem to put a SIM in
0Mi7f5Sm.jpg

and then a SIM, this is the cheapest plan I can find including tethering.
hSUBep9m.jpg

Edit, I've found this, will this prevent me from accessing the cameras?

No, use the (relatively) insecure P2P communication method and the cameras keep the Reolink server updated on their local public facing IP address. You never actually enter an IP address, just the serial number and login credentials of the camera. I also don’t see a PoE injector to power the camera? This looks like quite an involved setup. A Mikrotik SHG LTE is powered off a PoE injector and has a PoE pass-through on the second RJ45 port so you could power both devices off one plug, get better 4G speeds and a more elegant installation. It would be about double what you’re currently spending though.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
No, use the (relatively) insecure P2P communication method and the cameras keep the Reolink server updated on their local public facing IP address. You never actually enter an IP address, just the serial number and login credentials of the camera
Thanks WJA96 :)

I also don’t see a PoE injector to power the camera? This looks like quite an involved setup. A Mikrotik SHG LTE is powered off a PoE injector and has a PoE pass-through on the second RJ45 port so you could power both devices off one plug, get better 4G speeds and a more elegant installation. It would be about double what you’re currently spending though.
Does that TP link router (TL-MR3420) not provide the PoE? Thanks for the suggestion

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Ah cool, thanks. I think I just assumed, good thing I posted here.

So either a couple of these?

oTgG9Chm.jpg

Or 1 of these?

fSTQqvKm.jpg

And then all will work ok?

Your more elegant suggestion is too expensive as a solution for me with this being a temporary installation, this way I'll have a bunch of components I could use for various things after I'm done with it.

Soldato
Only the camera needs PoE power so each install just needs one injector.

I would counter your ‘useful bits’ concept with the fact that I’ve easily sold any surplus LTEs I’ve had on MM for a good price.

Let’s say you get the setup with the TP-Link Router (£59.31 by my calculation) then you will need 2 plugs and let’s say you run a flat Ethernet cable out under the window to temporarily mount the camera. At the end of the job you’ll have some 10/100 bits that are basically worthless unless you have another CCTV job.

If you spend £120 Plus £10 on a sucker-cup window mount on the Mikrotik SHG instead then you can run it off the supplied PoE injector and then daisy-chain the camera off that. Again run a flat cable under the closed window. That gives you the best possible 4G signal, the best possible routing options and you can sell that SHG for £80 on MM when you’re done with it. Cost is neutral between the two but obviously it’s your choice.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Only the camera needs PoE power so each install just needs one injector.
Oh. I was thinking of putting a PoE injector between each camera and the router? So 2. Is that wrong?
I would counter your ‘useful bits’ concept with the fact that I’ve easily sold any surplus LTEs I’ve had on MM for a good price.
Yes, but my way I'd be spending less and still keep a router, USB modem and now PoE switches afterwards :)

Thanks for the suction mount suggestion, I might go that route. Cheers

Soldato
Sorry - you do need one for each camera. For some reason I though there were 2 properties with a system at each.

And yes, the suction cups with the bolts are incredible. Just make sure you get the threaded bit long enough to go through whatever it is you’re mounting.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
So all in with the cables I'm at £91.21 plus then £10pm for the SIM.

Is 30gb too much? There are cheaper deals:

NhF04JNl.jpg

Soldato
Doesn’t that depend on how sensitive you are to motion and how long you set the clips for? If you’re getting 1-5 10 second clips and you’re using the secondary stream then you’re looking at about 80-100Mb per day. If you use the primary stream you’re 20 times that.

Back
Top Bottom