Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Thank you for such a detailed reply its much appreciated especially the lens information regarding the FOV. Will grab the 5mp bullet as I do prefer the looks over the dome as well and I agree she does not have the need for 4k especially as most of the issues would probably occur at night. Would these cameras benefit from a IR illuminator or would a decent floodlight for the area from above be better. For me I'm going to look into the Starlight cameras as the protect system is something I can't see myself investing in further due to the camera costs being unnecessary for the technology provided.

Soldato
Thank you for such a detailed reply its much appreciated especially the lens information regarding the FOV. Will grab the 5mp bullet as I do prefer the looks over the dome as well and I agree she does not have the need for 4k especially as most of the issues would probably occur at night. Would these cameras benefit from a IR illuminator or would a decent floodlight for the area from above be better. For me I'm going to look into the Starlight cameras as the protect system is something I can't see myself investing in further due to the camera costs being unnecessary for the technology provided.

These cameras are a weak floodlight. That’s how they see colour in the dark. If you have MM access then I have a few cameras in there.

Associate
@WJA96 - another question please!!

I've got port forwarding set up through DDNS on my Hik NVR. My NVR has a static IP Address.

I used to use iVMS 4500 on iOS - and it still works fine..

I've now installed HikConnect - and can still see the cameras through my NVR - as I added them by DDNS.

I can't see the Doorbell cam however, and I think - from my scouring of the web - that - I can simply remove the static IP address - and use dynamic addressing instead? Then I can add the doorbell and NVR to my device list on Hik Connect on the web - and that should solve it??

Or is there a simpler way? I quite like having the DDNS - but I suspect that HikConnect makes this redundant now?

Cheers again...

ps.. installed AX Pro yesterday - was a doddle!

Soldato
@WJA96 - another question please!!

I've got port forwarding set up through DDNS on my Hik NVR. My NVR has a static IP Address.

I used to use iVMS 4500 on iOS - and it still works fine..

I've now installed HikConnect - and can still see the cameras through my NVR - as I added them by DDNS.

I can't see the Doorbell cam however, and I think - from my scouring of the web - that - I can simply remove the static IP address - and use dynamic addressing instead? Then I can add the doorbell and NVR to my device list on Hik Connect on the web - and that should solve it??

Or is there a simpler way? I quite like having the DDNS - but I suspect that HikConnect makes this redundant now?

Cheers again...

ps.. installed AX Pro yesterday - was a doddle!

Yes, just use HikConnect.

The upside of HikConnect is it’s completely seamless. You just register the NVR on HikConnect and every device attached to it becomes available, as do all the AX Pro components in your system once you add them.

The downside is it’s passing through HikVision’s Shenzhen based server farm. So I wouldn’t use it for anything I didn’t want to be monitored by the Chinese government.

For all that said, it’s all we use now.

Associate
Yes, just use HikConnect.

The upside of HikConnect is it’s completely seamless. You just register the NVR on HikConnect and every device attached to it becomes available, as do all the AX Pro components in your system once you add them.

The downside is it’s passing through HikVision’s Shenzhen based server farm. So I wouldn’t use it for anything I didn’t want to be monitored by the Chinese government.

For all that said, it’s all we use now.

Ha - no issues here - so that's fine!

Is it relatively simple to switch across? I'll have a look - but I'm just thinking will it bork the camera settings (although they take their security details from the NVR?)

As an aside - the two way audio isn't working now...I can hear what's being said inside on the doorbell, but not the other way round.. this is what got me thinking about HIK connect... Any suggestions? Firmware updates?

Also, can't seem to add the doorbell by serial number... it's not finding it. I didn't register it on HikConnect when I wired it in... just activated it in SADP/IVMS... best to factory reset and start again?

Last edited:
Soldato
In theory, and that’s the big challenge, all this kit works together. We’ve got mixed Ajax/Dahua/HikVision kit in the field and we use that through the Ajax app and DMSS (Dahua’s app). I would think it’s very unlikely HikVision would let you add a Dahua device through the serial number as it’s not a HikVision serial number. You should be accessing everything through the NVR. As far as the NVR is concerned, your doorbell is a camera with an alert mechanism (the push button) and two-way audio. So you need to make sure your NVR can do 2-way audio (talkback). You may need to add DMSS to your app armoury for the doorbell to work on your phone the way you want it to.

Associate
Cheers!

It was all working perfectly yesterday morning. The mic is just crackling and popping now. Will take it back I reckon and swap it.

still can’t connect to the doorbell in HIK connect either which is a big pain! But as I say between the doorbell and the indoor station - it was working perfectly. Even gave the Morrison’s delivery bloke a double thumbs up for being the inaugural user!! Just stopped yesterday afternoon suddenly.

sorry - should add both doorbell and indoor station are HIK.

Soldato
Dahua DHI-NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2 is out of stock on BBB, would Dahua DHI-NVR4216-16P-4KS2/L be any good.

Do you want to use with the TiOC cameras? If so, you need the HS or AI versions of the NVRs.

If you're stuck, send me a trust message and I'll see if I can put you in touch with someone who can get you the one you actually want.

Soldato
Surely if you need to cover a bigger area and your cameras are not ‘manned’, you are better off just sticking up another camera looking in the other direction and calling it done?

Soldato
Currently have two DS-2CD2355FWD-I (5mp Turret Cams) I am considering selling both of these for the newer mini PTZ zoom cameras such as https://www.hikvision.com/en/products/IP-Products/PTZ-Cameras/Pro-Series/ds-2de3a204iw-de-w/

Anyone have any experience of these ?

No, my distributor is carrying the 4MP PT (no zoom) unit which looks pretty good.

4MP COLORVU PT - 16X DIGITAL ZOOM (cop-eu.com)

Cheap too.

And, as has been pointed out by @b0rn2sk8, they’re always pointing the wrong way. We’ve just started installing the Dahua WizSense2 PTZs that take their direction and zoom from a Dahua TiOC, so the static camera detects something and the PTZ zooms in on it and tracks it. It’s remarkably effective.

If it was me, I’d add more static cameras to give the coverage you want. Or, try out a PT camera to see if it helps with framing yiur image, but I very much doubt you’ll see much improvement.

Associate
@WJA96 - i've had to send my doorbell back to hik via my reseller.. didn't have the flipping receipt - nightmare. They say they've never had the microphone issue..

I ended up factory resetting them both - and had to change the IP address of my PC to be in the same range as the doorbell and indoor station just to activate them - all worked fine...

Just couldn't get the microphone on the doorbell to be heard inside...just a load of crackling and popping...the other way round was fine... have you had any experience with that? Some setting somewhere that i'd clicked incorrectly - or was it simply a borked unit?

Apologies - you're my new agony uncle!

Associate
Well lesson learnt today in regards to the Google Nest doorbell. They are very easy for some gimp with a pin to take it off its protective housing, came home tonight from work and found it hanging off the wires so obvs someone didn't have a screw driver or was disturbed.

Problem is they have completely destroyed the top clip and won't clip back into the housing so don't know what my options are now.

Soldato
@WJA96 - i've had to send my doorbell back to hik via my reseller.. didn't have the flipping receipt - nightmare. They say they've never had the microphone issue..

I ended up factory resetting them both - and had to change the IP address of my PC to be in the same range as the doorbell and indoor station just to activate them - all worked fine...

Just couldn't get the microphone on the doorbell to be heard inside...just a load of crackling and popping...the other way round was fine... have you had any experience with that? Some setting somewhere that i'd clicked incorrectly - or was it simply a borked unit?

Apologies - you're my new agony uncle!

No, I’ve never personally actually installed one of the HikVision doorbells. I’m the Dahua guy in our office. I’ve done the training and I know the product range, but I’ve not actually put one in. I’ve just had a ‘breakfast’ meeting with the main HikVision installer (Bacon roll at Gregg’s) and he reckons you’ve just been incredibly unlucky and you got a duff unit.

Soldato
Well lesson learnt today in regards to the Google Nest doorbell. They are very easy for some gimp with a pin to take it off its protective housing, came home tonight from work and found it hanging off the wires so obvs someone didn't have a screw driver or was disturbed.

Problem is they have completely destroyed the top clip and won't clip back into the housing so don't know what my options are now.

You can get third party brackets. I would stick it to the mount with a bit of no nails bond or use some sugru to make the clip. Did you get footage of the person who did it? Might be worth shooting support an email see what they can offer.

Associate
No, I’ve never personally actually installed one of the HikVision doorbells. I’m the Dahua guy in our office. I’ve done the training and I know the product range, but I’ve not actually put one in. I’ve just had a ‘breakfast’ meeting with the main HikVision installer (Bacon roll at Gregg’s) and he reckons you’ve just been incredibly unlucky and you got a duff unit.

Aye- I think that seems to be the case. The guys at the wholesalers said the same.

ive bought a replacement and will flog the repaired / replaced unit on on eBay I reckon.

It was a Dahua/ HIK toss up when I was researching IP cams to be honest! Should’ve gone the other way!

cheers.

Soldato
Anyone used https://cctv4less.co.uk/ for HikVision seem to have good offers, but wary they maybe the grey variants

Your contract is with the retailer who sold you the gear. The challenge with almost anything in surveillance at the moment is that most ‘retailers’ are actually resellers who know full well they have to support the customer directly for 3 years but they don’t want to so they will often get the customer to enter into a ‘business to business’ sale in which case you have very few rights.

In the case of CCTV4Less they have very reseller T&Cs including restocking fees but they’re not processing VAT and, so far as I can tell, there is no physical business address on their website. They look dodgy as a very dodgy thing.

If you want UK kit from the importer then pay the very little extra and buy genuine gear. One of the very few places that will sell direct sources most of their kit from the Netherlands. It’s genuine, but the UK importers won’t support it. Just ask if it’s UK, European market or (worst case) Chinese direct supply. There is a guy (user name EmpireTech Andy) who sells loads of grey gear on Alibaba. It’s very cheap, just don’t expect any support if it doesn’t work. I’d say 99.9% of the stuff he sells works just fine. If you’re that one in one thousand customer then you’re stuffed. Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom