Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
The neighbourhood organised a little vigilantism.

I want to see that footage!

I also have a nest indoor cam pointing out a window in one spot. Mounted it directly to the glass using command strips and then made up a paper shroud to wrap around the lens unit to block any internal light from reflecting off the glass, so works well pretty much anytime of day and independent of my indoor light usage.

Needs a decent outdoor security light for night footage, but work very well.

I even managed to catch some an accident on my neighbours car across the street with it when a DPD driver flew around the corner one afternoon and smashed up the front of their car, but fled the scene. They didn't have a camera so it was the only way they could pin it on DPD in the end.

Soldato
I read on Amazon earlier in a review for a nest cam that some pro thieves are now able to jam the wireless signal to blank out the cameras before committing a crime.

Anyone got any further info or insight into that? Seems like a pretty good reason to consider switching to POE at some point?

Soldato
Hi, any dahua Tioc owners, which NVR do you use please? Any benefits/drawbacks of particular ones?

I don't have a tioc or an NVR so want to make sure I buy wisely.

I'm thinking things like if I don't get the very best with AI, am I hampering the features of the camera? Or can I still use them directly on the cameras web interface for example. Any help gratefully received

Soldato
Hi, any dahua Tioc owners, which NVR do you use please? Any benefits/drawbacks of particular ones?

I don't have a tioc or an NVR so want to make sure I buy wisely.

I'm thinking things like if I don't get the very best with AI, am I hampering the features of the camera? Or can I still use them directly on the cameras web interface for example. Any help gratefully received

If you want to use the AI features (and you do because they reduce false alerts to almost 0) then you need a recorder that passes on the intrusion messages. As far as I’m aware at the moment ONVIF are not certifying Dahua cameras fir fear of being caught up in the NDAA ban in the US. And most of the third party NVR solutions use the ONVIF files to add specific cameras to their systems. So currently Synology and QNAP do not support TiOC. Likewise, if you want a Dahua NVR (and you probably do) then you need to get one that is AI enabled so it passes the alerts on. Of the NVRs available today, the cheapest 4-camera unit is the NVR4104HS-P-4KS2/L which is about £150 plus a hard drive. The cheapest WizSense NVR (much better AI) is the 2104HS-P-I at about £155 plus a hard drive. If you go to 8 cameras then you’re looking at the same model designations but with an 08 as the 3rd and 4th digit. 16 cameras is 16 in those locations.

While Dahua are arguably still the best of the soft white cameras the Hikvision ColorVu are also really good, albeit with the proviso that they are also covered by the NDAA ban and as far as I can tell, none of their current range of recorders does what the Dahua WizSense ones do. But they have new ones coming out very soon. Sadly they seem to launch a new range every 3-6 months so it’s very hard to keep up. Wherever you buy from, just make sure they check your compatibility for you. Because they’re only supposed to be sold to certified installers they’ll sell you anything and while they’ll be very sympathetic when your system doesn’t work, they won’t swap it out if you order the wrong thing!

Soldato
I recently ordered the Reolink 4K RLC-810A with the Reolink RLN8-410 NVR. I set it up a couple of days ago and I'm pretty impressed. Much better than what the Eufy 2C Pro offered.
Sure, I could have gone with Hikvision or similar, but I think for the price the Reolink does what I'm after.

Im going to order a 2nd camera soon.

Soldato
I recently ordered the Reolink 4K RLC-810A with the Reolink RLN8-410 NVR. I set it up a couple of days ago and I'm pretty impressed. Much better than what the Eufy 2C Pro offered.
Sure, I could have gone with Hikvision or similar, but I think for the price the Reolink does what I'm after.

Im going to order a 2nd camera soon.

In the daytime, there is very little wrong with Reolink. You really see where they saved money at night. If you’ve never seen a good colour night vision camera then you’ll be very happy with Reolink.

Warranty isn’t an issue other than when they go wrong they just tell you to ditch the old unit and they give you the newest comparable one they have in stock as a replacement. That’s fine in your case as you’re buying components but if you buy the complete kit, they give you a complete new kit which in one way is great, but you need to uninstall the old one to install the new one. Which isn’t so great!

As they buy from other manufacturers (your system is OEM’d by Uniview/UVT) they don’t have control over the software so once Uniview stop offering updates, you lose your app support.

And they have no UK presence, which wasn’t an issue prior to Brexit but now, who knows?

Soldato
I’ve since looked at the ColourVu cameras and their night vision is impressive.

If I can sell the Reolink with the house when I list it early next year, I’ll probably get a Hikvision setup for the next house.

Associate
Hello,

I'm after some advice.

At the end of my garden (30m from the house) I keep getting hassles from youths doing stuff they should not be (e.g. climbing into my garden).

So I want to add a CCTV camera down there which had decent night vision. But i know next to nothing about cameras.

I am guessing 30m is a bit far for a WiFi style camera and I would need something hardwired.

I do have a shed with active Ethernet that is around 10m from where the camera would be. So I guess some form of camera that can run (power and signal) from an Ethernet cable would be an option?

Do such things exist and can someone recommend something? Ideally something that can be monitored from a phone app as well as something that can record on an ongoing basis too.

Thanks

Man of Honour
your best bet will be one of the Hikvison or dahua cameras we keep talking about in here - I've got an older Hikvision setup powered and connected by power over ethernet.

The cameras didn't used to come with power injectors so you'd need a powered switch or a PoE injector. You can either put an SD card in the camera for recording or use a NAS if you have one. The app is pretty decent for connecting on the go and checking whats going on :)

Associate
Thanks. I do have a hikvision DVR in the house feed by bnc connected cams, and I think it can handle an ip cam as well.

So guess I need..
- hikvison poe ip cam
- poe enabled network switch
- some cat 6 outdoor cable

And a good amount of luck that I can connect it up and the dvr finds the ip cam over the network?

Soldato
Thanks. I do have a hikvision DVR in the house feed by bnc connected cams, and I think it can handle an ip cam as well.

So guess I need..
- hikvison poe ip cam
- poe enabled network switch
- some cat 6 outdoor cable

And a good amount of luck that I can connect it up and the dvr finds the ip cam over the network?

Yes, assuming the NVR supports IP cameras.

Associate
Network-attached storage, a hard drive on your network.

What the DVR model number (if you can find it)

Thanks for explain.

I think my DVR can handle 2 IP cams. It is a DS-7208HUHI-F1/N which has 8 BNC connections, but the blurb also says.. “Up to 2-ch 4MP ONVIF conformant IP cameras input”. So I assume that means it can handle 8 hard wired channels + 2 IP cams. So 10 channels in total!

Hikvision DS-7208HUHI-F1/N-(1TB) 1080p Turbo 8 Channel DVR HD Digital Video Recorder - Black: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

So thinking of a basic camera like a “HiLook By Hikvision IPC-B121H-M 2.8mm Lens 2MP 1080P IP PoE Bullet Network Camera with 30m Night Vision”

HiLook By Hikvision IPC-B121H-M 2.8mm Lens 2MP 1080P IP PoE Bullet Network Camera with 30m Night Vision - White: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Or a HiLook by Hikvision IPC-T121H-M 2MP 1080p Truuet PoE Network Camera with 30m Night Vision IP67 Waterproof Power over Ethernet PoE

HiLook by Hikvision IPC-T121H-M 2MP 1080p Truuet PoE Network Camera with 30m Night Vision IP67 Waterproof Power over Ethernet PoE -White (2.8mm): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Are there any other suppliers out there that are recommended? I tend to default to Amazon, but know they are not always the best.

Thanks again

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
@WJA96 Hey mate. In terms of NVR’s which is better, Dahua or Hikvision? My understanding is hikvision will be updating their hardware/software soon, worth waiting?

Also how does the NVR systems above compare to something like reolink or other off the shelf alternatives on Amazon?

Associate
If you want to use the AI features (and you do because they reduce false alerts to almost 0) then you need a recorder that passes on the intrusion messages. As far as I’m aware at the moment ONVIF are not certifying Dahua cameras fir fear of being caught up in the NDAA ban in the US. And most of the third party NVR solutions use the ONVIF files to add specific cameras to their systems. So currently Synology and QNAP do not support TiOC. Likewise, if you want a Dahua NVR (and you probably do) then you need to get one that is AI enabled so it passes the alerts on. Of the NVRs available today, the cheapest 4-camera unit is the NVR4104HS-P-4KS2/L which is about £150 plus a hard drive. The cheapest WizSense NVR (much better AI) is the 2104HS-P-I at about £155 plus a hard drive. If you go to 8 cameras then you’re looking at the same model designations but with an 08 as the 3rd and 4th digit. 16 cameras is 16 in those locations.

While Dahua are arguably still the best of the soft white cameras the Hikvision ColorVu are also really good, albeit with the proviso that they are also covered by the NDAA ban and as far as I can tell, none of their current range of recorders does what the Dahua WizSense ones do. But they have new ones coming out very soon. Sadly they seem to launch a new range every 3-6 months so it’s very hard to keep up. Wherever you buy from, just make sure they check your compatibility for you. Because they’re only supposed to be sold to certified installers they’ll sell you anything and while they’ll be very sympathetic when your system doesn’t work, they won’t swap it out if you order the wrong thing!

Would using Blue Iris with the Dahua Tioc cameras allow detection / use of the AI features? Or is it better to go with a Dahua NVR?

Back
Top Bottom