Spec me a cheap coffee machine

Soldato
Nice on the AeroPress... I been thinking of buying a coffee machine after trying Illy tinned fresh coffee, I been making it with filters in a cocktail shaker :|

The aeropress good? :)

Something tells me I am going to need a lot of coffee in my 3rd year at uni!

Soldato
You'll look like a chump using it

DAMNIT! Already look like that using a mini cafetiere at work! LOL Can imagine some shifty looks as I walk to the kitchen, all the while trying to hide the Aeropress in my suit.

EDIT - sorry for off topicness, do any of you guys use 'flavoured' coffee? I dont know what you call it but like someone had a Macadamia one and it smelt so nice! Tasted good too.

Man of Honour
DAMNIT! Already look like that using a mini cafetiere at work! LOL Can imagine some shifty looks as I walk to the kitchen, all the while trying to hide the Aeropress in my suit.

Just tell them it's a modified Swedish made penis pump, and not to worry, you washed it thoroughly. ;)
Thats what my former workmates thought it was.

After that - offer to make them a coffee. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Dont get a grinder that uses blades, they are crap for filter coffee and are just generally crap) (i work in the best coffee shop in the NW ;) )
we sell a good grinder for £45 but i cant remember the name of it right now.
and as for getting high quality coffe, where I work http://www.e-coffee.co.uk/
We buy in the beans green and roast them ourselves. and no i dont work on commission :p

I was in there a few weeks back. Amazing coffee and lovely place :)

Half tempted to make the trip up today to laze about after a large roast from the Eagle and Child slurping coffee and reading the sunday papers.

Soldato
Ground, the sealed tin. Gives me a headache smelling it!

Just like the Matrix you're about to take the red pill :D Never will coffee taste the same..

Virtually all ground and bean coffee on the supermarket has been sat their for several months. The internet sites roast the day before and then ship, so you get the coffee in perfect condition (often it requires a day or two to finish degassing after the roast).

I, well the coffee machine to be precise, wouldn't rate Illy as fresh. Even freshly grinding the beans isn't as good. I have found one 'standard' bean that seems to be fresh but I've also found it can differ from bag to bag of the same type!
If only they had a "superfresh" range that was roasted the same week..

Yes there's a price difference, nobody can deny that (coffee is an imported luxury after all!), but have one try and then you'll understand the difference. You can then make up your own mind about the freshness!

I would try these coffees from hasbean. They're going to taste very different. Most online retailers will provide an option to grind before delivery:

Australian Skyberry (~£4) - this will completely define bombastic smell!! A mellow cup (and the one to try!)
https://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/Australia-Skyberry.html

Ethiopia Yirgacheffe (~4) - sharper acidic, bright
https://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/Ethiopia-Yirgacheffe.html

Bolivia Machacamarca (£5) - mellow, dark chocolate
https://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/Bolivia-Machacamarca-BV-Maria-and-Mario-Andrade-2009.html

Soldato
Once i've recieved the coffee from somewhere like Hasbean, how long do I have to use it all? I.e. is there a period where after that I may aswell just buy more fresh coffee?

Associate
As beans, 3-4 weeks would be the longest I'd keep it for, stored properly, but ideally consuming within 14 days.

If ground, erm, I'd probably put it straight in the bin. :D Even a £10 nasty hand grinder would be significantly better than buying it ground.

Best to store as little as possible and grind fresh. So order little often and grind as you need it, there and then.

Soldato
Once i've recieved the coffee from somewhere like Hasbean, how long do I have to use it all? I.e. is there a period where after that I may aswell just buy more fresh coffee?

Ok, if you're looking for the freshest experience from an espresso machine and I'm not going to lie, the rule of thumb is:
Green Beans - 12 months (these require roasting)
Roasted Beans - 12 days
Ground Beans 12 minutes (yes minutes)

However if you're filter coffee making or less worried about perfect results then the ground coffee will last two days - on way around this is to freeze it and then break the frozen grinds into separate blocks and defrost every couple of days. However even four day old fresh roast ground will outclass supermarket coffee if kept in a sealed box.

Soldato
hmmm where can i go to buy a nice fresh cup of this amazing coffee?

Often the independent coffee shops that have a choice of bean are your best bet. Another good giveaway is the quality of the head on a cappuccino. The bubbles should be so fine that you can't actually make individual bubbles out.
Starbucks, for example, fails in the coffee it serves and the foamy bubbles that are like bubble bath..

Soldato
I was in there a few weeks back. Amazing coffee and lovely place :)

Half tempted to make the trip up today to laze about after a large roast from the Eagle and Child slurping coffee and reading the sunday papers.

Really? Small world. How was your roast at the Eagle? Such a good pub, a tad pricey though. Where abouts do you live?

Associate
No one has suggested a reasonable grinder yet?
I have the gaggia classic, got it pretty cheap, but no grinder yet, the Iberital MC2 grinder that's been suggested is £150?
Is there a decent hand grinder for ~£30?

Caporegime
No one has suggested a reasonable grinder yet?
I have the gaggia classic, got it pretty cheap, but no grinder yet, the Iberital MC2 grinder that's been suggested is £150?
Is there a decent hand grinder for ~£30?

erm, what you want is a Burr grinder, £30 will get you a blade grinder. Unless you go manual, which is okay for a week until you get tired (both physically and laziness) of grinding beans if your hand.

Starbucks sell a burr grinder for £60.

Next best thing and best for value is the MC2, i got mine for £100. The alternative is the Ascaso i-Mini.

Just checked, they both went up in price !!!! the MC2 was £110 last year and the Ascaso i-Mini was £130...

Back
Top Bottom