Spec me a Counter Strike Source system

Associate
Well it's been a while since I have asked for a new spec me a system... But here goes :)

I do all my work on my iMac, but using bootcamp as a Counter Strike source machine is not really that convient. So I really would want a computer just for my pet game...

Now I got some "must haves" for this system, so please have this in your mind :)

1 - Discrete and good looking. (I am a Mac user so the case needs to look as good as possible, but also as small and discrete as possible. No neon and other PC bling bling.

2 - Must be able to run Counter Strike source on any maps with 10 - 30 players at any time. Details as high as possible and 1920x1280 resolution. I do not have any urge to play other games, but if it's possible to run some future games in case something interesting comes around better than CSS (not likely) it would be nice if they were playable too.

3 - Should be as silent as possible, but again not if it compromise the fps under point 2.

4 - Keyboard and mice should be of high quality, responsive but small so it's easy to pack away on top of the machine.

5 - OS and monitor not needed.

6 - Since the PC wont hold a lot of stuff except the game, OS and perhaps some movies it does not require a lot of HD space. But a quiet and fast HD is prefered.

Thanks for all inputs - look forward to see if this is possible... :):)

Associate
Agreed with above - you don't need anything like a 4850 or GTX 260 to run CSS well but a good high clock speed CPU will sort you out.

So get a Core 2 Duo
Passive cooler like the Artic Cooler Extreme
Overclock for more Ghz!
Get a case with large, low RPM fans and then bam you're sorted :)

Associate
as said above, the source engine is heavily reliant on cpu, any gpu will do within reason, as long as it can run the game. good cpu with almost any gpu and u are sorted.

thats what i did when i built my pc, i play css competitively so i got

e8400
4gb 1066mhz ram @ 5-5-5-15
hd3650

1 problem, if u want to do anything with css moviemaking or use antialiasing / filtering, then u would actually need a better card.

200+fps constant with everything max apart from AA/filtering @ 1280x1024 even with a 3650.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the inputs.. Did not know that the CPU was more important with this game...

Know I will dig a little more and see what components would be best.

Soldato
Is the computer only for Source games?
What is your Budget?
Would the computer be used for anything else?

Just a quick spec, things can be easily changed.
CSsourcesystemspec.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom