• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Spec me a CPU :)

Soldato
Evening people :)

I've just bought an ASrock dual sata2 motherboard, and i was just wondering which CPU to get for it. I know its not the best board to overclock with (i intend to), but i needed to keep my x800xtpe.

Just would like to know what would be the best cpu for £120 give or take a tenner :)

On a previous thread i made about the motherboard, someone said the opteron 144 would be a good buy? Anyone else have another opinion?

Associate
Well it depends, are you going to do the volt mods and use the beta bios? I think the the official bios only goes up to 274 fsb so if you got an opty 144 you'd be at 2466 whereas if you got the a64 3700 then you'd get to 3ghz if the chip was capable.

Associate
It's a good mobo for the price, no doubt about it :) . I used my mobo with a x2 3800+, and ran at around 270htt 24/7. The mobo can easily go beyond 300htt, but some do experience cold boot problems then. Vmod is easy, so you might want to consider doing that.

But for £120 you might want to consider opteron 144 or 3700+, they're both good cpus :) . I've seen 3700+ reaching 3ghz on air, with no problems. So if you're lucky they're both great overclockers ;)

Mikey1280: The new 1.80 bios is capable of speeds over 274 :D

Back
Top Bottom