Spec me a gas BBQ (£200 budget)

Soldato
We have been very generously given £200 to buy ourselves a BBQ as a house warming gift, so not knowing anything about BBQs, I turn to the font of OcUK knowledge.

We don't do massive parties where we'd need to do 50 burgers at once or anything, so quality over quantity would be my preference. I've looked at a couple on Homebase's website, but I honestly have no idea what I'm looking for.

Help!

Soldato
I was in a similar position recently and was looking at spending a similar amount but in the end I went for something a little cheaper here

I have to say I'm well impressed for the price - cooks evenly and fairly easy to clean! We chose to go without the side gas burner (for onions etc) and I'm glad we did as the fold up/down shelves are more useful to me than having another burner there!

One thing you need to take into account is that the gas bottle will set you back another £50-£70 (assuming you've not already got one) and from what I read you are better getting propane (or "patio gas" as it's known) as it doesn't freeze in the winter!

*edit* I'll never go back to charcoal BBQ's again - gas is the way to go for ease of use imo!

Soldato
OP
Thanks gents, and yes, while coal would be ideal, for our purposes gas is just going to be easier. I did see the Outback stuff at Homebase and thought it seemed like a lot of bang for buck, but wondered what the catch was (ie, is it a cheapo piece of rubbish). This sort of thing:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/outback-hooded-3-burner-gas-bbq---black-406427

but I had no idea what price to expect on the cylinder so I think the charbroil one linked above sounds like a good shout

Also, what the hell is this TRU Infrared that I see plastered on some BBQs?

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks gents, and yes, while coal would be ideal, for our purposes gas is just going to be easier. I did see the Outback stuff at Homebase and thought it seemed like a lot of bang for buck, but wondered what the catch was (ie, is it a cheapo piece of rubbish). This sort of thing:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/outback-hooded-3-burner-gas-bbq---black-406427

but I had no idea what price to expect on the cylinder so I think the charbroil one linked above sounds like a good shout

Also, what the hell is this TRU Infrared that I see plastered on some BBQs?

I do work for Homebase, BUT I had my outback BBQ (Apollo 4 burner here) long before I did and it's awesome :)

Soldato
OP
Right, good to know that the outback stuff is decent quality. Now I just need to decide whether I want a massive 3 burner or whether I want something a bit more compact

Soldato
OP
Just to update, I got an outback 2 burner (excel 310and a 10kg cylinder for about £170. I've yet to assemble it as I've been crazy busy this weekend, but it seemed quite well put together for the price.

Thanks for the recommendations chaps!

Soldato
I have an Outback gas bbq and a Weber charcoal, one is well over 10 years old and as solid as the day it was built - the other is falling apart and under 5 years old and needless to say I wouldn't touch a Outback BBQ ever again.

If it has to be gas and you want it to last for more than 10 years (and why wouldn't you) get a Weber or Napoleon - more upfront but a much better product that will last far far longer.

Back
Top Bottom