Spec me a good all-rounder (£1000ish)

Associate
I've been looking for a laptop for a while now that will be used for college and as a 2nd desktop at home. It'll mainly be used for college (MS Office, Adobe packages, etc) but would like it to be capapble of coping with anything I throw at it.

Ideally I would like it to have an SSD boot drive and 4GB+ of RAM. I'm a bit behind on the CPU market but guess that i7/i5 are still king?

I've been looking at the MEDION ERAZER X6813 which can be had for £900.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that I should consider?

Associate
Dell XPS range have fantastic offers on right now as well as a 10% coupon. If you want to spend a bit less i can definatly recommend the Asus N53SV which can be had for around £600. Fantastic bit of kit, although unlike the Dell XPS you cant get a 1080p screen.

Soldato
I bought myself a MSI GX660R from here, and its pretty good :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-045-MS&groupid=959&catid=1828&subcat=

Bought it when it was in the 'this week only' sale for £950, add to that the £50 cashback and I'm well happy :D

Cant get over how well this thing runs games, the ATI HD5870 1GbDDR5 doesnt seem to have much bother running modern games at all.
The i7 740 seems fast enough and the two HDD's in raid load games pretty quick too

Have a look on Notebook checks website for the review, and even compare the GPU and CPU against others for performance.

Oh and its nice that both the CPU and GPU are upgradeable if needs be in the future.

Mick

Back
Top Bottom