Spec me a high end music production machine and workstation setup for Sibelius

Soldato
I've been tasked with speccing out or ordering a pre built music production PC setup for a friend.

It will be pretty much be a dedicated Sibelius machine for composing an opera on, with full orchestra.

Does anyone know if Sibelius will utilise 32 or 64GB of RAM or more?

I've been having a look at some pre-built systems meant for Audio Professionals and some are Xeon Systems capable of up to 128GB ram. Would someone using Sibelius quite demandingly utilise that much?

Up until now he's been coping with quite an old machine that's nothing special, but this will be quite a big job. I'm not sure what kind of difference there may be between a £1k high end standard system vs say a £2k+ Xeon system with boatloads of ram vs a £3k+ systems with all these special audio card and co-processors.

What about audio interfaces, UAD audio interfaces and co-processor cards?

Currently he's not using any of these, just a Keyboard connected to the PC (I'm not sure how off the top of my head, I'll need to check) and standard audio out to some decent speakers. But if any of this stuff can improve his workflow and enable faster composition on very complex pieces we'd like to look into it.

Any general music production pc advice is welcome as I'm not a musician myself.

In terms of a monitor we're thinking an ultra wide curved, perhaps 34 or 36" to see as much sheet music as possible on the screen at once? What do you think?

Many thanks

Soldato
I've not been near Sibelius for a very long time, but I used to support it in a school and we ran it on some fairly modest kit.

This article on the publishers site really echos that, it's a package for writing scores rather then actual music production so unlike most music software it's fairly lightweight.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/en418691

I think you really need to get the bottom of what's not up to the mark with his current setup and work from there. I would also include some good quality studio monitors.

Back
Top Bottom