Spec me a Hybrid.

Soldato
This is also where active (gps terrain) cruise control will help recover the 2-3% of energy spent since systems, versus a good human, don't back-off cresting a hill, in anticipation of overrun on the other downhill side - earlier post. ... lorries will be first for that.

Underboss
I've read the majority of this thread and i find it quite fascinating

i must have asked about "What car" thread that i started back in 2018/2019

now im actually thinking Hybrid is best for me

I keep looking at high spec petrol's with an auto box, that is next generation up from mine (2009) so ive ben looking at Focus ecoboost Titanium X, Seat Leon FRs mostly

when i find one under 60K, high spec, price seems to be around the 9 - 10K mark

I like the look of the Lexus CT200, which is another Hatchback of that sort of size

but as im going automatic, maybe any size car will do me ? (im 6'2 and never liked driving small cars)

is there something cheaper than 9K worth looking at here ?

Caporegime
I've read the majority of this thread and i find it quite fascinating

i must have asked about "What car" thread that i started back in 2018/2019

now im actually thinking Hybrid is best for me

I keep looking at high spec petrol's with an auto box, that is next generation up from mine (2009) so ive ben looking at Focus ecoboost Titanium X, Seat Leon FRs mostly

when i find one under 60K, high spec, price seems to be around the 9 - 10K mark

I like the look of the Lexus CT200, which is another Hatchback of that sort of size

but as im going automatic, maybe any size car will do me ? (im 6'2 and never liked driving small cars)

is there something cheaper than 9K worth looking at here ?

the lexus would probably be okay as they tend to come fully loaded. full electric memory heated seats on the f sport and a few other lines. i'm around 6'1 and it is tight but not as tight as a mini, etc.

as for cheaper and better. i doubt anything will be as reliable or as fully loaded or as new. the lexus ct200h is basically the prius/auris but a much nicer looking car with a lot more toys and a lot better interior. f sport tends to come full leather too, etc.

at £9K though you are looking for an older model. the 2015 and newer come with a whole host of improvements. they are much quieter much better suspension, etc. so 2015 or newer is the model to go for i believe. although nothing wrong with an older model. it will have a firm ride and be much louder inside. they made something like 150 different improvements to the cabin.

Soldato
OP
the lexus would probably be okay as they tend to come fully loaded. full electric memory heated seats on the f sport and a few other lines. i'm around 6'1 and it is tight but not as tight as a mini, etc.

as for cheaper and better. i doubt anything will be as reliable or as fully loaded or as new. the lexus ct200h is basically the prius/auris but a much nicer looking car with a lot more toys and a lot better interior. f sport tends to come full leather too, etc.

at £9K though you are looking for an older model. the 2015 and newer come with a whole host of improvements. they are much quieter much better suspension, etc. so 2015 or newer is the model to go for i believe. although nothing wrong with an older model. it will have a firm ride and be much louder inside. they made something like 150 different improvements to the cabin.

My 2016 F sport has part leather, and no electric seats. Also no xenons. I think those are the only options that are missing on mine. I can live without them tbh, but would have been nice to have.

The only thing I’d be concerned about is leg room in the back if you’re a tall person. It’s not a big car at the rear as the front is stretched out a little.

Underboss
My 2016 F sport has part leather, and no electric seats. Also no xenons. I think those are the only options that are missing on mine. I can live without them tbh, but would have been nice to have.

The only thing I’d be concerned about is leg room in the back if you’re a tall person. It’s not a big car at the rear as the front is stretched out a little.

not fussed on the rear, just the front :)

Soldato
OP
not fussed on the rear, just the front :)

Should be fine for the front but you may find head room a little tight depending on your driving position. Really easy car to drive, if a little slow if you’re used to more faster metal.

I think for what it is, compared to the Prius/auris range it’s a good car. The is300h if you can stretch to that is better from what I’ve read/friends I’ve spoke to.

I guess you can make a better idea of it if you view one in person. They’re getting very common around my parts now, most hybrid cars are but a lot more Lexus’s than Toyota etc.

Caporegime
thing is , i want to make sure, my next car has at least Parking sensors, bluetooth, nav, usb, HID lights etc etc

Mine has full parking sensors and a camera at the back.

Sat nav, usb, dab, everything apart from xenons.

Mine has full leather and full electric. It also has the upgraded sound system with the subwoofer in the boot and 3d sound, etc.

Cruise control, climate control, pollen filter which you press a button to use in summer to filter it out.

Xenons is the only thing I'm missing I think and a panoramic sunroof if it's available.

Caporegime
Should be fine for the front but you may find head room a little tight depending on your driving position. Really easy car to drive, if a little slow if you’re used to more faster metal.

I think for what it is, compared to the Prius/auris range it’s a good car. The is300h if you can stretch to that is better from what I’ve read/friends I’ve spoke to.

I guess you can make a better idea of it if you view one in person. They’re getting very common around my parts now, most hybrid cars are but a lot more Lexus’s than Toyota etc.

I'd say 50/50 Toyota is very popular, prius, Auris, yaris, rav 4 and ch-r. Lexus again very popular. Both come out top on reliability tests too. So you know you are extremely unlucky if something does go wrong.

Ill be selling mine before it hits 100k anyway that's when egr needs a full clean out. No point spending £500 or more to get that done better off putting that £500 towards a new car and trading it in.

Underboss

Mine has full leather and full electric. It also has the upgraded sound system with the subwoofer in the boot and 3d sound, etc.

Cruise control, climate control, pollen filter which you press a button to use in summer to filter it out.

Xenons is the only thing I'm missing I think and a panoramic sunroof if it's available.

is yours the F-Sport ?

Soldato
OP

Pan sunroof wasn’t an option. Just regular sunroof. Forgot about the speaker system. Mine has basic but it’s decent enough. Also I think some came with the mouse navigation stick instead of rotary dial.

Caporegime
£9k won't get you the refreshed ct200h in f sport guise.

I'm still enjoying the ct200h and don't feel like upgrading like I usually would. It's a nice city car.

Next time around May go for the same again or the ch-r or a bigger lexus or go electric and get the i3.

The appeal of never having to pay for petrol again and the savings of electric appeal highly.

Not too worried about distance. The daily does 8k a year. Which works out to 150 miles a week.

is yours the F-Sport ?

Yes

Pan sunroof wasn’t an option. Just regular sunroof. Forgot about the speaker system. Mine has basic but it’s decent enough. Also I think some came with the mouse navigation stick instead of rotary dial.

Mine has mouse style but it's a lot more advanced than that. It will resist movement I to areas there is no option to be made, etc. It's a decent system.

The sound is very good I believe mine is the 13 speaker system if I recall correctly.

Underboss
You might just squeeze a facelift (2015-) Auris Excel in at £9k with some miles on it. All the stuff on the list is included, with LEDs instead of HID.

im actually looking at 2013 models on AT right now, do they not have Xenons or LED headlights?

I see the face lift late 2015, has the Toyota safety stuff (Pre collision detection system etc) that be the one for me to get !

Last edited:
Soldato
im actually looking at 2013 models on AT right now, do they not have Xenons or LED headlights?

I see the face lift late 2015, has the Toyota safety stuff (Pre collision detection system etc) that be the one for me to get !

The 2013s have got halogen projectors, no option for an upgrade. My Dad had one for a couple years and the standard lights are a bit feeble. The LEDs are much better.

Not sure about the MPGz, more accurate measurement? In my limited experience it's a real world mid 50s average. Better in stop start urban traffic as it more heavily uses EV running.

The TSS stuff works. Saved my bacon a couple of weeks ago when some dizzy bint in a mini cabrio pulled out of a sideroad without looking right. Car just stopped itself as I was going for the brake pedal. Look on her face when it came to a halt a car length from her drivers door was priceless...

Underboss
ive just read this article :
https://www.conserve-energy-future.com/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-hybrid-cars.php

i found it interesting, have a question on the maintenance part

they say its higher maintenance than a petrol car, due to mechanics knowing less about hybrids ?

whats the owners saying here ?

ive been doing research, and if i bought a petrol OR hybrid, over the 10 year period the Hybrid (being more expensive to buy than the petrol cars im looking at) comes to the same, over 10 years it becomes cheaper in a hybrid
(and i havent included things like yearly service costs, Tyre wear, brake wear etc, which would be less in a hybrid) so potentially the 10 year will come down (for me) :)

Soldato
My initial 2p - I think it's generalised and the bloke doesn't know what he's talking about. The Toyota HSD system is deceptively simple, and seems reliable by the number of private hire cabbies running them at vast mileages. Other manufacturers offerings are different.

Not looked that closely at the costs yet. A hybrid wasn't my purchase choice - life threw a curve ball at my old man so I'm now running it. Priuses have been around for 15+ years so it's not that bleeding edge. Keep a main dealer service history and Toyota will extend the hybrid driveline warranty to 10 years.

Caporegime
ive just read this article :
https://www.conserve-energy-future.com/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-hybrid-cars.php

i found it interesting, have a question on the maintenance part

they say its higher maintenance than a petrol car, due to mechanics knowing less about hybrids ?

whats the owners saying here ?

ive been doing research, and if i bought a petrol OR hybrid, over the 10 year period the Hybrid (being more expensive to buy than the petrol cars im looking at) comes to the same, over 10 years it becomes cheaper in a hybrid
(and i havent included things like yearly service costs, Tyre wear, brake wear etc, which would be less in a hybrid) so potentially the 10 year will come down (for me) :)

Maintenance costs? Toyota and lexus top most reliability charts. I've not had anything other than services and brakes and a tyre to replace.

You can also buy extended warranty should you want to. It's pretty cheap too.

Ill sell mine before it does 100k. I believe on the 1.8 litre it's best to sell then because the egr will need cleaning which is a big job as the engine needs to be taken out to get to every part of it or its a very tight job and long if you leave it in place. I believe there are 4 seperates pipes which also need to be cleaned alongside the egr itself.

If you don't get it cleaned then it will overheat and it's always the same gasket which gets damaged.

There are people who have had them go at 250k miles and others at 150k miles.

So it's safe to get rid around 100k.

Back
Top Bottom