Spec me a Hybrid.

Soldato
I was looking at the Hybrid Auris estate in August last year, really wanted one but my second choice was much cheaper and I couldn't justify the difference in cost between the Auris and a 1.8 Civic Estate. There was at least a £3k difference even more in some cases when comparing same year, similar spec which would take me years to make back in fuel so I went with the Civic with a view to go Hybrid next time. Love the look of the new Corolla Hybrid.

Caporegime
Mostly pre DPF.

I'm pretty sure had a dpf as he has been having issues with it as he had a few home call outs and I have noticed he does a lot of small journeys. It looks like he has now removed it though as it never used to smoke like this before.

Either that or the call outs were for something else and now he's burning oil from leaks, etc.

Caporegime
I was looking at the Hybrid Auris estate in August last year, really wanted one but my second choice was much cheaper and I couldn't justify the difference in cost between the Auris and a 1.8 Civic Estate. There was at least a £3k difference even more in some cases when comparing same year, similar spec which would take me years to make back in fuel so I went with the Civic with a view to go Hybrid next time. Love the look of the new Corolla Hybrid.

How much do those 2 same cars cost today?

I'm willing to bet the hybrid depreciated less. Since it's been the case with mine anyway.

Soldato
[I give up - PS you need to mansplain Nashers hybrid pause ]

The ICE stop/start issue I observe is on a NSL roundabout .. 3-4seconds of decision time to join, with, apparently, a 350ms res-start time ... an eternity.

I was looking at the Hybrid Auris estate in August last year,
yes, even now, glance on autotrader 3 year old toyota auris estate <30K average looks like £16k hybrid / 10K petrol, so there'd be a similar dilemna on the fuel-saving benefit, even if you sold them for the same money you'd have to offset the 6K of additional finance(£250?p/a), or savings investment loss.

Man of Honour
I'm pretty sure had a dpf as he has been having issues with it as he had a few home call outs and I have noticed he does a lot of small journeys. It looks like he has now removed it though as it never used to smoke like this before.

Either that or the call outs were for something else and now he's burning oil from leaks, etc.

So the issue then is dodgy mods removing pollution control devices.. I wish they would crack down on this.

Caporegime
[I give up - PS you need to mansplain Nashers hybrid pause ]

The ICE stop/start issue I observe is on a NSL roundabout .. 3-4seconds of decision time to join, with, apparently, a 350ms res-start time ... an eternity.

yes, even now, glance on autotrader 3 year old toyota auris estate <30K average looks like £16k hybrid / 10K petrol, so there'd be a similar dilemna on the fuel-saving benefit, even if you sold them for the same money you'd have to offset the 6K of additional finance(£250?p/a), or savings investment loss.

There is no pause. I have 2 cars. One a NA petrol and the other a petrol hybrid. There is zero difference in terms of when you press the pedal both start moving.

However the hybrid in eco mode will take a lot of pressure on the pedal to move at what I would call a decent pace for a normal driver. I'm not talking going for a record breaking 0-60 but what you would expect from a normal car. if people don't know what eco mode does they should stick to standard. sport is actually probably too fast for a normal driver. my wife for example will refuse to use sport and when i have switched it on for her a few times she turned it off as it was too much power too quickly for her.

Isn't Nasher the same guy who said if a drunk driver hits you their insurance is void? I would say his opinion isn't really telling of what is normal.

There is no pause. I have 2 cars. One a NA petrol and the other a petrol hybrid. There is zero difference in terms of when you press the pedal both start moving.

However the hybrid in eco mode will take a lot of pressure on the pedal to move at what I would call a decent pace for a normal driver. I'm not talking going for a record breaking 0-60 but what you would expect from a normal car. if people don't know what eco mode does they should stick to standard. sport is actually probably too fast for a normal driver. my wife for example will refuse to use sport and when i have switched it on for her a few times she turned it off as it was too much power too quickly for her.

Isn't Nasher the same guy who said if a drunk driver hits you their insurance is void? I would say his opinion isn't really telling of what is normal.

Starting an engine is starting an engine, I guess its possible (every car will be different) how quickly from pressing the accelerator to actually being running will vary, and a hybrid in some scenarios by programming could be slightly behind.
I don't let my ICE car go stop start when I need instant response its that simple, keep it in gear it wont do it (or simply turn it off it your going to repeatedly face that situation)

Its Nasher, your default position should be to assume its the opposite to what he says, its not always true, but more often than not...

Caporegime
Starting an engine is starting an engine, I guess its possible (every car will be different) how quickly from pressing the accelerator to actually being running will vary, and a hybrid in some scenarios by programming could be slightly behind.
I don't let my ICE car go stop start when I need instant response its that simple, keep it in gear it wont do it (or simply turn it off it your going to repeatedly face that situation)

Its Nasher, your default position should be to assume its the opposite to what he says, its not always true, but more often than not...

yeah but a hybrid when the petrol engine is off the electric engine is ready to go so there is no startup time if you slam the accelerator then it will use electric and start the petrol to kick in too so you use both. but still there should be no lag because of the electric engine

Soldato
Yeah people running them for 2 years and then selling for what they paid.

not true at all.

When you have mild electrification you have a significantly higher amount of cranking power available and the downsizing of the engine means there’s less to start.

My little Honda Insight had a 10kW starter motor, ie 4 times the size of that on a diesel Range Rover. It’s was faster starting than the time to press the clutch and select a gear.

Soldato
MK He was referring to the ICE and hybrid genus in the first part of his quoted sentence, and for ICE there is a delay, and like PS said you can limit/program the power on his hybrid.

Also, despite the power of the hybrid electric motor versus a starter, an addtional factor would be the inertia that is in the flywheel and gearbox of a running ICE, so the hybrid get-away is not a slam-dunk.

Yeah people running them for 2 years and then selling for what they paid.

not true at all.

When you have mild electrification you have a significantly higher amount of cranking power available and the downsizing of the engine means there’s less to start.

My little Honda Insight had a 10kW starter motor, ie 4 times the size of that on a diesel Range Rover. It’s was faster starting than the time to press the clutch and select a gear.

Think you misread my post, I said every one will be diff. Just because one make has higher cranking power and they allow it to start immediately there is nothing to say others will apply exactly the same metrics.

Mine recovers from top start the moment I touch the clutch so I don't even get a chance to go for a gear but in 50k miles time that may not be the same
Thinking about it I wonder if diesel is a lot longer, everyone I know who moans about stop start drives a diesel, possibly petrols recover that much faster in general, never considered it

yeah but a hybrid when the petrol engine is off the electric engine is ready to go so there is no startup time if you slam the accelerator then it will use electric and start the petrol to kick in too so you use both. but still there should be no lag because of the electric engine

Sorry I meant the ICE, I had forgotten the modern term of calling the electrics an electric engine, its a motor to me not an engine

Soldato

In the Toyota's the MG2 motor is providing propulsion which covers any time taken for MG1 to do it's starter motor thing. You can't compare it to a similar ICE powered hatch with stop/start.

Soldato
a presentation/analysis that corroborates that pure electric and hybrid are not yet more affordable than petrol/diesel ... so, a personal eco choice

49326369927_4f8f03cc5d_o_d.jpg

Man of Honour
But where are the products? Where are the decent EVs you can go out and buy? All I see are crappy city cars and Tesla's. And 100k Porsches

Soldato
Cars with decent amounts of horse power in Norway have insane amounts of tax on them (maybe the Netherlands too). Which is what will be pushing the average up.

Back
Top Bottom