Spec me a long weekend in Scotland (Edinburgh + distillery)

Soldato
So, I've long wanted to go to Scotland and Edinburgh for the whisky and food. Looking to make use of my summer hours at work by booking a long weekend for myself and the girlfriend. Ideally I'd like at least a day/night in Edinburgh and then a day or two at (bear with me) some lovely country hotel out in the middle of nowhere that does amazing food - but near a good distillery as well to do a tour.

However even though I'm a whisky fan I know nothing of the geography. I'm guessing we'd either fly/train to Edinburgh and hire a car for the latter. I prefer Speyside or Lowland whiskies (nothing peaty) so if that's to be taken into account... mind you I honestly wouldn't mind going anywhere else befitting the 'experience'.

Just looking for itinerary ideas for anyone who's done something similar. Thanks :)

Soldato
Pitlochry might be a shout.
Distillery in town, bells I think though. Nice whiskey shop that does tasting sessions, good restaurants.
Up from pitlochry is the moulin Inn which has its own micro brewery for beer, stayed at Craigatin House a number of times which is a small b&b place serving a tasty breakfast. And the whole area gives you a tickle taste for the Highland sceneries.

Further distilleries are a drive away, the now tourist trap of House of Bruar might make the GF happy due to shopping and has an amazing food hall.

Soldato
Pitlochry might be a shout.

Good shout.

Wife and I stayed there many years ago - can't remember the hotel name though. From memory there's Blair Atholl, Aberlour, Aberfeldy and also the Edradour distiller who sell themselves as the smallest in Scotland. The tours all seemed pretty same-y, but I rated the Edradour one best as the others seemed to be a very corporate formula to them.

There's also some very nice countryside around there just for walking. You will need it, portions in Scotland were LARGE.

Soldato
OP
Good shout.

Wife and I stayed there many years ago - can't remember the hotel name though. From memory there's Blair Atholl, Aberlour, Aberfeldy and also the Edradour distiller who sell themselves as the smallest in Scotland. The tours all seemed pretty same-y, but I rated the Edradour one best as the others seemed to be a very corporate formula to them.

There's also some very nice countryside around there just for walking. You will need it, portions in Scotland were LARGE.
I happened across the East Haugh House hotel which looks quite nice. And it's a nice distance from Edinburgh. Will bear it in mind, I'd already seen how pretty the Edradour distillery is.

I'd go to the Isle of Skye if I were you, also The Three Chimneys for a bite to eat.
Sounds great, but no idea how to get there via Edinburgh in a weekend...

Soldato
Wouldn't Perth make a good base?
Not too far from the central belt for the lowland whiskies and not as bustling as the two main cities with a quaint country feel.

Errrr... no. I don't know what makes you think Perth has a quaint country feel but it certainly doesn't.

Soldato
You could try out Cromlix Castle which is near Dunblane. Easy (and pleasant) driving distance from Edinburgh and much more "quaint country" than Perth. The Glengoyne Distillery is another nice wee run from Cromlix Castle. There's a couple of types of tours there - I've been on the superior one (for want of a better word) and it's well worth the extra cash. You'll get to try cask strength malts and as get a limited number guided tour of the place. You also get a small bottle of seriously good and rare whisky to take away with you. Just don't be the one driving there...

Associate
If you'll be doing it in Summer then expect your night in Edinburgh to be expensive due to the fringe festival. That said it is a great time to visit as a tourist.

I would generally say Glasgow has more accessible distilleries nearby than Edinburgh and you're only 45 mins to Glasgow and then an hour north to Loch Lomond which you could feasibly do with public transport and has some of the most accessible (although touristy) walking.

Edradout, glengoyne, Auchentoshan, Loch lomond distilleries all doable from there.

If you have a car then its much easier although whisky and driving do not mix...

Avoid Perth like the plague!

/Salsa

Caporegime
Why not just go and enjoy Scotland?

I like alcohol but I don't really care where or how it's made that much to want to visit it.

Do you also want to visit a tyre factory in china or such? I don't see the point in these tours I'd much rather go to a whisky bar and just sample their selection. Bon Accord in Glasgow is a well known one that is well priced. Same thing in Edinburgh will cost you 5 times as much and be full of bankers with a w.

Soldato
OP
You could try out Cromlix Castle which is near Dunblane. Easy (and pleasant) driving distance from Edinburgh and much more "quaint country" than Perth. The Glengoyne Distillery is another nice wee run from Cromlix Castle. There's a couple of types of tours there - I've been on the superior one (for want of a better word) and it's well worth the extra cash. You'll get to try cask strength malts and as get a limited number guided tour of the place. You also get a small bottle of seriously good and rare whisky to take away with you. Just don't be the one driving there...
Thanks. That's almost exactly the type of place I'd like to stay, maybe if only it was a bit cheaper. Luxury hotel in an old country pile, with a fantastic restaurant. Oh and a short hop to some nice distilleries. Any more suggestions along those lines? :p

If you'll be doing it in Summer then expect your night in Edinburgh to be expensive due to the fringe festival. That said it is a great time to visit as a tourist.

I would generally say Glasgow has more accessible distilleries nearby than Edinburgh and you're only 45 mins to Glasgow and then an hour north to Loch Lomond which you could feasibly do with public transport and has some of the most accessible (although touristy) walking.
I didn't realise the Fringe went on so long, we were looking end of Aug/Sep anyway so should be fine. We had some friends that went to Glasgow recently and they loved it. I have to day I'm just not that interested. I'd like to go, but Edinburgh plus a country hotel ain't gonna leave any time on this trip :)

Soldato
We stayed a night in the Leonardo hotel in Edinburgh last year, it was really good and we ate in the restaurant as the menu was interesting. The hotel is like a large fancyish chain one but with a Scottish touch so not maybe quaint or totally unique but we loved it. Parking too which was good and 20 mins or so walk to the castle.

Have only done distillery tours in the north of Scotland and the tours are good and worth doing, but if you want proper tasting go to a whisky shop as you get a variety and more time etc for cheaper.

It's a great city to visit but in terms of Scotch it's not one of the main distillery centres.

beh

beh

Associate
If you're in London you could get the sleeper train up to Speyside to begin (Pitlochry/Aviemore/Inverness). Or just fly to Inverness. You would need to hire a car beyond that as public transport in the highlands is lacking. Train journey down to Edinburgh from there is very scenic so the time isn't wasted.

Back
Top Bottom