Spec me a massive car

Caporegime
Two medium sized cars and both of you drive? :p

I'd likely stick with the Q7 also, there's not much else out there which is actually larger, most people carriers will likely have less luggage space at the expense of a slightly larger passenger cabin.

The 4-seater child seat posted by xs2man is interesting, but how does that work legally? I thought the occupancy of a car was determined by the number of seats from the factory (and thus on the v5), rather than what equipment you can strap in?

Associate
I Would say an MPV will be most ideal. If you went for another SUV like a XC90 what is a 7 seater but with the extra row of seats you lose boot space, on the older model that is not sure on the new version. But if you still prefer a SUV, what about a Toyota Land Cruiser, they come with 7 Seat opinion and are sodding massive plus a boot space still for the buggy etc.

PS congratulations on the kiddies, 2 sets of twins good luck with getting any sleep in the next few years.

Last edited:
Soldato
VW transporter with extra seats installed in the back to make it a bit like a small minibus. VW will do this if you ask them :D

A bit more comfortable than a transit.

Soldato
Two medium sized cars and both of you drive? :p

I'd likely stick with the Q7 also, there's not much else out there which is actually larger, most people carriers will likely have less luggage space at the expense of a slightly larger passenger cabin.

The 4-seater child seat posted by xs2man is interesting, but how does that work legally? I thought the occupancy of a car was determined by the number of seats from the factory (and thus on the v5), rather than what equipment you can strap in?

Here is what it says on their site:

INSURANCE
What do insurance companies say about the Multimac range?

Fitting a Multimac will convert your car from a 5-seater to a 6-seater. It has been discussed by the ABI (Association of British Insurers) who have welcomed it as they welcome any appropriately approved device that contributes to child safety, but point out that you should always advise your insurer that you are using a Multimac, as they cannot test or endorse any commercial product themselves.

Aviva

Aviva have specifically stated that: ‘The Multimac is Aviva approved, and fitment will not invalidate your policy’, and feedback from our customers is that other Insurers have similarly accepted it with no change in premiums.

I don't have one, as I have no real need, just now. But for the OP's needs, it seems like the most prudent option, at the moment at least. Since he does like his current car anyway. If this was an "excuse" to move into a van, then that's different.

Not sure - same as people suggesting a car seat for 4 that someone else had already suggested?

:confused:

Yep. Strange.

Yes, you do lose a reasonable amount of bootspace with the third row seats up. But that is true for all 7 seaters. You might gain marginally more space, in 6 seater mode, with a Discovery, or a Galaxy / Sharan style MPV, but probably not enough to be considering it as a viable move from the Q7 in reality.

If the OP genuinely wants more space, then the move to a van will be the only real option here. Obviously the VW and the Merc are top of the list, but the likes of Peugeot, Ford and even Vauxhall also do people moving vans (these are mostly what I see at the local swimming pool, usually carrying the families of disabled children, but they are obviously 8+ seaters).

Maybe because some people don't know an Q7 has seven seat's. I stated the XC90 as example that you lose boot space when using all 7 seats.

But obviously he would already know that, having the Audi equivalent of the Volvo mentioned.

Associate
Going down the van route is a good opinion, i think the VW transporter would be the best call out of all the vans plus they look the best, when it comes vans. Transit's are a great van, use to use one for work but i wouldn't want to use one as a family vehicle. I personally think i would stay with the Q7 and make do with what you already have.

But obviously he would already know that, having the Audi equivalent of the Volvo mentioned.

Yes he would, but others on here may not. Maybe i should have been clearer stating a XC90 is no good, as it is similar to the Q7.

Soldato
You won't be able to fold down the seat in the middle row to get to the back row if there is a child seat attached to it. If a child was already in the middle row seat and asleep and you needed to get to one in the back this would be an issue.

We have a MK2 Galaxy with 7 full sized individual seats. When we needed 2 child seats we would remove one of the outer seats and attach child seats to the middle and other outer seat. This made it easy to get to the back row without having to move a seat and you had a bit of space "inside" the car for some bags.

No the kids are older we've put the outer seat back in and removed the middle seat for access to the back row.

The Galaxy won't be suitable though, with the back seats up there isn't much of a boot. Whichever car you pick check you can get to each child seat, back and middle rows, without having to move another seat.

Caporegime
You won't be able to fold down the seat in the middle row to get to the back row if there is a child seat attached to it. If a child was already in the middle row seat and asleep and you needed to get to one in the back this would be an issue.

We have a MK2 Galaxy with 7 full sized individual seats. When we needed 2 child seats we would remove one of the outer seats and attach child seats to the middle and other outer seat. This made it easy to get to the back row without having to move a seat and you had a bit of space "inside" the car for some bags.

No the kids are older we've put the outer seat back in and removed the middle seat for access to the back row.

The Galaxy won't be suitable though, with the back seats up there isn't much of a boot. Whichever car you pick check you can get to each child seat, back and middle rows, without having to move another seat.

30 secs to remove an isofix child seats is a small price to pay to avoid having to own an MPV.

Back
Top Bottom