Spec me a Network Switch

Soldato
I'm looking for some advice regarding buying a network switch.

I have recently purchased a house that a previous owner had installed network cable throughout (a mix of CAT5e and CAT6). This all links into a central network cupboard containing the master phone socket and a rack with a patch panel and network switch. The switch unfortunately is only capable of 10/100 Mb/s. I'm looking for a replacement for this switch to give Gigabit speeds. I have an Unraid server and use Plex to serves media to devices around the house.

I'm looking for something with a bit of room for expansion, the current switch and patch panels are both 24 port. Although not all of them are in use. I'm planning on using my existing Netgear D7000 modem / router. I would like something that is not overly complex to setup and get working, I have some experience of using a managed Netgear switch but very little beyond that. Finally would like to add some IP CCTV cameras at a later date so PoE would be nice to have but is not essential. Are there any go to recommendations?

If anyone could point me in the direction of something that would fit my needs I would be grateful. I'm not overly flush with cash ATM due to said house purchase so anything that can be found second-hand would be appreciated.

Man of Honour
It doesn't sound to me you need a managed switch so a 24 port rack mounted unmanaged gigabit switch would do the job? Something like the Netgear GS324 or JGS524 (or GS348 for 48 ports but not sure who would fill that!) for example.

Soldato
TP Link or Zyxel GS would be my suggestions, both do managed/semi managed options with/without PoE, cheap, easy to get along with and quiet. TBH I may even split it and go for a cheap used Ubiquiti Tough Switch for the silent option with decent PoE to deal with CCTV and AP’s, depends if you want AIO solution and how many ports you will actually use. I tend to avoid the Netgear ProSwitch in blue - I’m about the only person who hasn’t had one die on me and find out that lifetime warranty isn’t quite what the name implies in the UK vs the US.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Guys,

I was planning on getting something managed for QoS and the ability to set the CCTV cameras up on a Vlan one i finally get around them them.

I was tempted by a ZyXEL GS1920-24HPv2 as 24 ports should be plenty and it has most of the features I need. but I've read a user review suggesting that they can be a pig to set up and have futures locked away behind ZyXEL paid nebular app. I have been looking for a GS324tp but they don't seem to pop up very often second hand.

Back
Top Bottom